Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 33 of 51
05 September 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
hrhenry,

You are right that most of the examples I gave to fall into the category multi-verb constructions, but they also fall into the lexical chunk category, as in set phrases that native speakers rattle off without thinking as one unit. But I just grabbed what I could quickly from a spreadsheet I put them in prior to putting them in Anki (longer process but allows a glance at usage for one word).

Regarding idiom books, two particularly stand out, The Big Red Book of Spanish Idioms, and The Ultimate Spanish Phrase Finder. The problem though is that they are too big. Even ignoring obviously literary idioms, they simply contain so many idioms with no indication of frequency, that one often cannot determine if a given unknown idiom is actually common or rather a higher register one.

USPF is especially useful, and perhaps in line with frenkeld's objection to using a dictionary as a source I should be using it. However even disregarding the Eng-Span section which I do, there are over 450 *densely packed* pages. It includes verb, phrasal verb, adverb usages and compound words that can be found in other sources. Helpfully it does indicate what Spanish words/phrases are synonymous and sometimes also which synonym is more common.

Reviewing USPF again, I think perhaps I should be using it in preference to the dictionary for sentences and phrases, though it would take forever to extract into Anki (looks like around 70-80 per page) even disregarding the most literary entries. It is indeed a most comprehensive source. A book I like, 750 Spanish Verbs and Their Uses, with about 4500 example sentences, is probably totally contained in USPF. Again though it seems more formal/literary than conversational based.
1 person has voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 34 of 51
05 September 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

Peregrinus wrote:
I actually have that book too, just as I do the Spanish grammar book mentioned in another thread.

Which grammar book was that? I may have missed that thread.

Eric Greenfield's book.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6741 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 35 of 51
05 September 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
USPF is especially useful, and perhaps in line with frenkeld's objection to using a dictionary as a source I should be using it.

I'd be careful about letting my remarks affect your approach in any way. It's not that I don't agree with myself from one post to another, but my approach is based on a different overall philosophy, and there's more than one general philosophy of language learning that works, at least for different people.

Once past the foundational textbook, I generally only concern myself with vocabulary items I meet in continuous sources (readers, novels, movies, conversations, etc) or that one finds on items of realia, like signs, tickets, labels, and recipes. The most I might deviate from this is by picking up something like a not overly thick vocab builder or book of idioms and leafing through the pages, only scanning through the content, and I don't do this often. I would certainly never transfer such content to Anki in toto and start drilling it.

Does that mean others shouldn't do it? Not necessarily, barring the objection you have raised yourself, that with some sources, especially the lengthier ones, one may not be able to judge what's in common use and what's too obscure to be worth committing to memory.

Edited by frenkeld on 05 September 2012 at 1:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 36 of 51
05 September 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
hrhenry wrote:
I purchased a paperback book titled 1001 Spanish
Idioms (I think).

Could it have been "2001 Spanish and English Idioms" from Barron's?

I doubt it, since the book I'm thinking of is from the early 80s. But the book you
mention may have been an outgrowth from it. I don't know. Hopefully I'll be able to find
it among all the other things left behind by my parents. I have fond memories of it... I
remember marking it up with plenty of notes.

R.
==

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 37 of 51
05 September 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Just to add a wrinkle to the debate I think we should recall the distinction between collocations and idioms. In my understanding, an idiom is a unit of two or more words whose meaning cannot be derived readily from the component words. So we say "estar en el ajo" meaning "to be involved in something" is a idiom because it's hard to see what "ajo" has to do with all this. On the other hand, things like "darse por vencido" or the more common "no darse por vencido" would not be considered an idiom but more a collocation.

This may be splitting hairs but I think the distinction is important because in many cases what to our external eyes may seem to be idiomatic, from a Spanish perspective, is just a sort of set combination of words. For example, "obrar en poder de..." meaning "to be in someone's possession" is probably more a collocation. As a matter of fact I think that many of the examples given earlier with "poder" would not really be idioms.

I think we tend to lump all these things together because for us it is all set combinations of words or phrases.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 38 of 51
05 September 2012 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Peregrinus wrote:
USPF is especially useful, and perhaps in line with frenkeld's objection to using a dictionary as a source I should be using it.

I'd be careful about letting my remarks affect your approach in any way. It's not that I don't agree with myself from one post to another, but my approach is based on a different overall philosophy, and there's more than one general philosophy of language learning that works, at least for different people.

The reason I said that is because after reading the preface where the author mentioned needing a source to look up phrases from literature, I presumed that many of the example phrases/sentences in USPF would come from such native sources as opposed to contrived, albeit grammatically correct, dictionary examples.

@s_allard,

I doubt a well-written printed work would confuse collocations with idioms, although self-learners reading isolated threads here might if they went mining large corpora without knowing the distinction, so that is good advice for them. USPF does contain compound words as I mentioned which I find a little odd as those are commonly found in dictionaries and the author was wishing to provide a source for phrases/idioms.

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 39 of 51
05 September 2012 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Just to add a wrinkle to the debate I think we should recall the
distinction between collocations and idioms. In my understanding, an idiom is a unit of
two or more words whose meaning cannot be derived readily from the component words. So
we say "estar en el ajo" meaning "to be involved in something" is a idiom because it's
hard to see what "ajo" has to do with all this. On the other hand, things like "darse
por vencido" or the more common "no darse por vencido" would not be considered an idiom
but more a collocation.

This may be splitting hairs but I think the distinction is important because in many
cases what to our external eyes may seem to be idiomatic, from a Spanish perspective,
is just a sort of set combination of words. For example, "obrar en poder de..." meaning
"to be in someone's possession" is probably more a collocation. As a matter of fact I
think that many of the examples given earlier with "poder" would not really be idioms.

I think we tend to lump all these things together because for us it is all set
combinations of words or phrases.

I agree, but the learning materials (including books about Spanish idioms) tend to use
the term "idiom" for both. In Spanish though, I think modismo= idiom and
frase hecha= collocation.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 40 of 51
05 September 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Just to add a wrinkle to the debate I think we should recall the
distinction between collocations and idioms. In my understanding, an idiom is a unit of
two or more words whose meaning cannot be derived readily from the component words. So
we say "estar en el ajo" meaning "to be involved in something" is a idiom because it's
hard to see what "ajo" has to do with all this. On the other hand, things like "darse
por vencido" or the more common "no darse por vencido" would not be considered an idiom
but more a collocation.

This may be splitting hairs but I think the distinction is important because in many
cases what to our external eyes may seem to be idiomatic, from a Spanish perspective,
is just a sort of set combination of words. For example, "obrar en poder de..." meaning
"to be in someone's possession" is probably more a collocation. As a matter of fact I
think that many of the examples given earlier with "poder" would not really be idioms.

I think we tend to lump all these things together because for us it is all set
combinations of words or phrases.

I was thinking along the same lines, but too scared to say so because it just seemed so
obvious that I feared I was missing something. I was thinking that a lot of those
examples looked to me like they'd be completely transparent as long as you knew the
individual elements. Frankly some of them just looked like the application of basic
grammar- e.g. "no pudo haber sido Pilar", which just seemed to me to merely be one half
of a cleft sentence (with the other half left implied in context). But then maybe I
*am* missing something and have misunderstood this thread, I do have a feeling I might
have.

Edited by Random review on 05 September 2012 at 4:27am

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version