14 messages over 2 pages: 1
fiolmattias
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
geocities.com/fiolmaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6492 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 14
05 September 2012 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I have yet to see a(n untrained) Swede or German doing the same
for any of the other two languages.

I know that I can understand just about nothing orally, but I just went to Wikipedia,
opened Sweden and choose Islandic. And to my suprice I understood a LOT nore than I
thought I would. I even understood some complete sentences, but there where of course a
LOT I didn't understand as well :)

Have you tried it?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4510 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 14
05 September 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
From what I know, Iceland resists loanwords. So everything that has a loanword in
Swedish/Danish etc., requires you to figure out the local cognate compound word (or the
old Norse word that the Icelanders decided to revive) if it's not a basic word with an
old Norse/Germanic base.

I do not have a hard time with the basic vocabulary because by and large that is the
same in many of the other Germanic languages I know. bara, einn, mjölk, dottir, these
are all things I can guess. But that is only a small percentage of the vocabulary, and
the rest you have to accumulate gradually (which is why I have left Icelandic alone for
now, apart from its complex grammar, which you will need to understand the complex
morphology that Icelandic also has - which may obscure a few cognates).

I think from basic Dutch you might get 10-20% words for free, and if you know English
and German fairly well, that's another 5-10% bonus. Add some Swedish on top of that and
40-50% of the words should "look familiar", although you may stumble upon false friends
of course. But it's definitely not enough to read any text nor deal with complex
grammar.

2 persons have voted this message useful

SupremeTheory
United States
Joined 4287 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 14
07 September 2012 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
To my knowledge, all Scandinavian languages are similar, and are Germanic&Dutch
based(Except for Kalaallisut). I'm assuming Icelandic's that one that because it's so
isolated, it's not as related to the others, though if you know one of the others, you
should be able to learn it easier than if you were to learn it without knowledge of the
Scandinavian, Germanic, or Dutch languages.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6385 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 14
07 September 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Genetically, Icelandic and Swedish are more closely related to each other than any of them are to German. Icelandic is pretty much Old Norse with added words for modern concepts. Prof. Arguelles has apparently said something to the effect that "One can hardly be considered to know two languages if one knows Old Norse and Icelandic". Swedish has lost a lot of the complex grammar patterns of Old Norse, which is why German grammar might be more similar to Icelandic grammar. Subjectively, Icelandic looks very familiar to me when I look at it. I did the same experiment as fiolmattias on Wikipedia. The first paragraph looks like this:

Wikipedia wrote:
Konungsríkið Svíþjóð (sænska: Konungariket Sverige) er land í Norður-Evrópu og eitt Norðurlandanna. Landamæri liggja að Noregi til vesturs og Finnlandi til norðausturs, landið tengist Danmörku með Eyrarsundsbrúnni. Einnig liggur landið að Eystrasaltinu til austurs. Svíþjóð er fjölmennust Norðurlanda með yfir níu milljónir íbúa en er þó frekar strjálbýlt. Langflestir íbúanna búa í suðurhluta landsins

I can understand most of this without ever having studied Icelandic. I can find sentences like "Í upphafi 20. aldar mótaðist það flokkakerfi sem að miklu leyti hefur einkennt sænsk stjórnmál síðan" where I understand close to nothing, but a lot I can understand easily and some I can understand if I think about it and analyze the sentence a bit.

However, listening to spoken Icelandic is quite different. I listened to a bit of this clip and my comprehension was pretty much 0. But then again I can't understand a word of Danish, either, and Danish and Swedish are supposedly mutually intelligible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4510 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 14
07 September 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
SupremeTheory wrote:
To my knowledge, all Scandinavian languages are similar, and are
Germanic&Dutch
based(Except for Kalaallisut). I'm assuming Icelandic's that one that because it's so
isolated, it's not as related to the others, though if you know one of the others, you
should be able to learn it easier than if you were to learn it without knowledge of the

You mean German. Scandinavian and Dutch languages (thanks for the plural and being
inclusive with regards to Frisian and the regional languages) are all Germanic languages.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4575 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 14 of 14
07 September 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
SupremeTheory wrote:
To my knowledge, all Scandinavian languages are similar, and are Germanic&Dutch

I'm not sure what you mean by Scandinavian languages here. Most people actually from Scandinavia use that term only for Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. Together with Icelandic and Faroese they make up the North Germanic languages, part of the larger Germanic family which includes English, Dutch, Yiddish and other languages (so they aren't "Germanic&Dutch based", they are Germanic, neither more nor less than the High German language(s)/dialects of Germany, Austria and Switzerland). They are often grouped together with Finnish, the Sami languages and occasionally Greenlandic (Kalaallisut) into "the Nordic languages", a purely geographic term which does not imply relation. So if you were using "Scandinavian" to mean "Nordic", then Greenlandic isn't the only one that should have been excluded.

Ari wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Konungsríkið Svíþjóð (sænska: Konungariket Sverige) er land í Norður-Evrópu og eitt Norðurlandanna. Landamæri liggja að Noregi til vesturs og Finnlandi til norðausturs, landið tengist Danmörku með Eyrarsundsbrúnni. Einnig liggur landið að Eystrasaltinu til austurs. Svíþjóð er fjölmennust Norðurlanda með yfir níu milljónir íbúa en er þó frekar strjálbýlt. Langflestir íbúanna búa í suðurhluta landsins

I can understand most of this without ever having studied Icelandic.

I also understood most of it with my circa A2 Norwegian. The only phrase that I didn't get at all was "en er þó frekar strjálbýlt", and I also had to guess that "að Eystrasaltinu" meant "of the Baltic sea" from the context (though now that I checked "að" is actually closer to "to").

Edited by vonPeterhof on 07 September 2012 at 2:19pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version