Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Would Danish be a good language to learn?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
SupremeTheory
United States
Joined 4287 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 26
08 September 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
The other unjust accusation is that it is somehow "ugly". Beauty
is in the ear of the
beholder, and to my ear, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish all sound pleasant to listen
to.
Danish may take some getting used to when you are actively trying to learn it, but so
does any language.

There is another thread currently going about "heritage" languages, and I happened to
be thinking the other day, that (coming from where I do) I could consider the nordic
languages as part of my "heritage", to which low-German or Dutch should also probably
be added, and to be on the safe side, I should probably be learning at least one Celtic
language! (I have some acquaintance with Welsh, and it's sort of on my hitlist to go
back to).

Thanks for all the responses! And I too, have some heritage from Germany, and
Scandinavia. Though together, it's very small (only around 18% from Scandinavia, around
25% from Germany and scandinavia), still, I've heard that the places are nice, and hope
to visit them some day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4869 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 26
08 September 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

There is another thread currently going about "heritage" languages, and I happened to
be thinking the other day, that (coming from where I do) I could consider the nordic
languages as part of my "heritage", to which low-German or Dutch should also probably
be added, and to be on the safe side, I should probably be learning at least one Celtic
language! (I have some acquaintance with Welsh, and it's sort of on my hitlist to go
back to).

Coincidentally, I recently found out as a result of National Geographic's Genographic Project that I have some
distant male-line ancestor from Sweden or Denmark who likely was a viking raider on his way to pillage
Constantinople. All this after I decided to start learning Danish!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6385 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 11 of 26
08 September 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Coincidentally, I recently found out as a result of National Geographic's Genographic Project that I have
some distant male-line ancestor from Sweden or Denmark who likely was a viking raider on his way to pillage

We welcome you back into the tribe of our people, Forgotten One. The viking blood flows through your veins. May your
axe stay sharp, your ship sail swiftly and straight, and may clergymen tremble at the sight of your sails on the horizon.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4869 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 12 of 26
08 September 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Kartof wrote:
Coincidentally, I recently found out as a result of National Geographic's
Genographic Project that I have
some distant male-line ancestor from Sweden or Denmark who likely was a viking raider on his way to pillage

We welcome you back into the tribe of our people, Forgotten One. The viking blood flows through your veins.
May your
axe stay sharp, your ship sail swiftly and straight, and may clergymen tremble at the sight of your sails on the
horizon.

Haha, I hope you don't think I took the results too seriously; they haven't changed my perception of my ethnic
identity one bit. I just think its fascinating to realize that we all really are more interconnected than we think.
The history that we read in textbooks lives within us.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4631 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 26
09 September 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Well there are Danish-style placenames only a few miles away from where my parents were
born, e.g. Kirby, and other places ending with -by, and there is one place called by
locals (it may only be a local name, not even mentioned on maps), known as "Housesteads"
(pronounced "hoose-steads"), which the locals know is a Viking name and means
"homestead", and is very close to modern Danish "hus" and "sted", so I definitely feel
like I'm "going back to my roots". :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 26
09 September 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
And it was me who added the reason "because I lived in the country of this language in my previous life" on HTLAL :) Yes, I really believe in it. But no, it doesn't seem to help me with Danish...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5713 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Latin

Message 15 of 26
15 September 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
OK so I don't really have any reasons for you that haven't already been mentioned...but
I will add to the chorus of "Yes! Learn Danish!"

I live in Denmark,so I NEED to learn Danish. But even if I didn't need it, I would
still enjoy it.

Cool points:

The grammar is simple.

Between English and Danish, I am able to recognize lots of German words. Just a
bonus:)

Once you can read Danish, you can read most Norwegian. Two for the price of one!

And, as someone mentioned above, Danish TV shows and film are really gaining
international attention - and for good reason.

Zimena
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4395 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Mandarin

Message 16 of 26
23 September 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
First of all, I must admit I don't understand these "Is such-and-such a good language to learn?" types of questions. In my book, any language is a good language to learn as long as you're interested and motivated for it. There is no language that is in any way better than any other - it all depends on which languages interest you the most and will be the most rewarding for you personally.

Just my opinion, of course. If you learn only for "professional" purposes, I get that there are languages that would be better to learn than others, but if you want to learn out of interest and joy, any language is good if it's the language you want to learn!

As for Danish - I would say that it's a good language to learn because it will also be a great help in understanding the other Scandinavian languages. Also, the grammar is quite simple as Jaynie also pointed out - in fact, simpler than the grammar of Norwegian or especially Swedish.

Anyway - go for it and good luck!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version