Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 9
12 September 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
I just started using the Streetwise Spanish book/CD set, and in the very 1st dialog the
word "ruca" is used in what to me seems to be a completely erroneous manner: 2 guys are
discussing a big blowout of a party, and one asks if there were a lot of chicks there,
using the word "rucas." The book explains that this term means a girl or woman, "often
a pretty" one.

I already knew this word; I learned it in context from native sources, and
am almost entirely certain that it actually means "old lady," and I've always heard it
used in a derogatory fashion, equivalent to "old hag."

However, "vieja" I know is used in this ironic way in slang, to mean something like
"chick." Could it really be that ruca is also? I've certainly never heard it, which
makes me wonder if this book is totally unreliable.

BTW, this dialog is set in Los Angeles and is supposed to feature typically Mexican
colloquial Spanish, which is the spoken variety that I've had the most exposure to.
Maybe it's actually more "LA Spanish" than Mexican or even general Mexican-American,
and maybe there "ruca" already underwent the ironic treatment that "vieja" did long
ago.

Even if the word has acquired this twist in LA and perhaps elsewhere, I'm still left
doubting the general utility of this book. Although the focus is supposed to be on
slang and colloquialisms, when it features a dialog that gives a minority slang-meaning
for a word that has a very different and much more common meaning that is *also slang,*
it should at least clarify that in the explanatory notes.

It makes me suspect that the authors (both Anglos) actually have very little
familiarity with the vocabulary they are purporting to teach, and that they just paid
native speakers in various countries and cities to come up with regionally
representative dialogs based around certain topics, accepting their definitions without
any further research.

EDIT: I just saw this in the vocab list at the end of the chapter: "la ruca- girl,
woman (most of Latin America except the Southern Cone)" I also just checked my
unabridged bilingual dictionary, which includes a fair amount of colloquialisms,
especially those of the Americas (it's better for these than any monolingual
dict I've seen). It has no definition for ruca (or ruco, confirming my belief that any
use of this as a noun probably goes beyond colloquial usage and into slang,) but does
have an adjective: "ruco, -ca adj. (L. Amer) worn-out, useless."

Edited by Gala on 12 September 2012 at 5:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4660 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 2 of 9
12 September 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I have never used "ruca" in the same way as "viejas", just as you pointed out. It always
means to me "old hag". However, these things are prone to a lot of variation, so maybe in
US they already use "ruca" with the "chick" connotation. Weird :)

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4260 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
12 September 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Do you already know the general mexican slang? (no manches, carnal, vato, sale, cómo ves?, qué dices?, no mames, mano, guey, batallar, etc,etc?)

I don't think learning VERY specialized slang is that great unless you live in LA, for example. Of course, if you are interested in it, then it's definitely worth your time!

Gala wrote:
I just started using the Streetwise Spanish book/CD set, and in the very 1st dialog the
word "ruca" is used in what to me seems to be a completely erroneous manner: 2 guys are
discussing a big blowout of a party, and one asks if there were a lot of chicks there,
using the word "rucas." The book explains that this term means a girl or woman, "often
a pretty" one.

I already knew this word; I learned it in context from native sources, and
am almost entirely certain that it actually means "old lady," and I've always heard it
used in a derogatory fashion, equivalent to "old hag."

However, "vieja" I know is used in this ironic way in slang, to mean something like
"chick." Could it really be that ruca is also? I've certainly never heard it, which
makes me wonder if this book is totally unreliable.

BTW, this dialog is set in Los Angeles and is supposed to feature typically Mexican
colloquial Spanish, which is the spoken variety that I've had the most exposure to.
Maybe it's actually more "LA Spanish" than Mexican or even general Mexican-American,
and maybe there "ruca" already underwent the ironic treatment that "vieja" did long
ago.

Even if the word has acquired this twist in LA and perhaps elsewhere, I'm still left
doubting the general utility of this book. Although the focus is supposed to be on
slang and colloquialisms, when it features a dialog that gives a minority slang-meaning
for a word that has a very different and much more common meaning that is *also slang,*
it should at least clarify that in the explanatory notes.

It makes me suspect that the authors (both Anglos) actually have very little
familiarity with the vocabulary they are purporting to teach, and that they just paid
native speakers in various countries and cities to come up with regionally
representative dialogs based around certain topics, accepting their definitions without
any further research.

EDIT: I just saw this in the vocab list at the end of the chapter: "la ruca- girl,
woman (most of Latin America except the Southern Cone)" I also just checked my
unabridged bilingual dictionary, which includes a fair amount of colloquialisms,
especially those of the Americas (it's better for these than any monolingual
dict I've seen). It has no definition for ruca (or ruco, confirming my belief that any
use of this as a noun probably goes beyond colloquial usage and into slang,) but does
have an adjective: "ruco, -ca adj. (L. Amer) worn-out, useless."

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 4 of 9
13 September 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
I have never used "ruca" in the same way as "viejas", just as you
pointed out. It always
means to me "old hag". However, these things are prone to a lot of variation, so maybe
in
US they already use "ruca" with the "chick" connotation. Weird :)

Thanks, caam_int. I posted about this on another forum where I received confirmation
from other native speakers (1 in Mexico [the DF] and 1 from the Caribbean [they didn't
say precisely where]) that they have always heard "ruca" used just as you said, and are
also unfamiliar with it being used to mean an attractive girl or woman, or as just a
general term for girls/women. They both mentioned that "ruco" is also sometimes used
(the Caribbean source compared it to "old geezer,") and the Mexican lady said that "los
rucos" is sometimes used by young people to refer disrespectfully to their parents. She
also cautioned that, especially when applied to women, it's very offensive....as I
thought. I also heard from a Spaniard who'd never heard the word at all, not even as an
adjective, although he found that form in the RAE dictionary, which attributed it to
Central America.

As for the US, I did some digging and found evidence of the use the book refers to (at
least in California and Texas, although of course the book misrepresents it as being
"the" meaning in all of Latin America, except the Southern Cone.)It seems to come
from the Mexican-American cholo subculture, in which "ruca" is also more specifically
used to refer to girlfriends/wives, in the same way that men in biker gangs in the US
refer to their wives/girlfriends as "my old lady." This usage has even spread to some
gringos, due to a love-song by Sublime entitled "My Ruca."

Edited by Gala on 13 September 2012 at 6:40pm

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 5 of 9
13 September 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
justonelanguage wrote:
Do you already know the general mexican slang? (no manches,
carnal, vato, sale, cómo ves?, qué dices?, no mames, mano, guey, batallar, etc,etc?)

I don't think learning VERY specialized slang is that great unless you live in LA, for
example. Of course, if you are interested in it, then it's definitely worth your time!

I'm familiar with all of those words/ phrases (although I wouldn't use most of them),
but for "vato" I only know how it's used, not its literal meaning nor its derivation
(though "bato" for bumpkin or fool [a pretty different meaning than "vato"] I've found
in the dictionary). Do you know if it's specifically Mex-American? ¿Cómo ves/ qué
dices? and batallar I didn't even view as specifically Mexican, I thought they were
standard. Do they have specifically Mexican slang-meanings besides their obvious ones?
One that puzzles me (although I know how it's used) is "ese," which I believe is only
or originally Mex-American (in its slang context.) How did "that" come to be a casual,
friendly form of address for men?

I really don't want to go out of my way to learn slang that is that regionally
specific; I was hoping that the book would concentrate on slang and colloquialisms
that are used or at least understood in most regions. But what really annoys me is
that, judging from how they present "ruca," this book can't even be trusted to give you
accurate info on important regional differences. For example, if "ruca" had been
presented exactly as it was in the LA dialog, and explained in that context, it
wouldn't have bothered me........IF they had also explained how it's used in Mexico,
the Caribbean and (I imagine) other places. But they apparently didn't know (though
they pretended to.) This is especially troubling as the word in question is
offensive in those regions.

Edited by Gala on 14 September 2012 at 3:42am

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 9
14 September 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:

Maybe it's actually more "LA Spanish" than Mexican or even general Mexican-American

Gala wrote:

specific; I was hoping that the book would concentrate on slang and colloquialisms
that are used or at least understood in most regions.

You seem like you want to learn general slang, so why did you pick a book on street slang, a specialized subset? It seems fairly obvious that this book focuses on the slang of inner-core big-city USA, i.e that of the barrio, with likely a healthy dose of gang slang. Is that your target audience? If not, why not just chuck the book and find another instead of spending time finding possible errors.

Decent large Spanish-English dictionaries should also be a moderately useful sources of slang, noted as "familiar" and "colloquial".

Edited by Peregrinus on 14 September 2012 at 2:58am

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 7 of 9
14 September 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:

You seem like you want to learn general slang, so why did you pick a book on
street slang, a specialized subset? It seems fairly obvious that this book
focuses on the slang of inner-core big-city USA, i.e that of the barrio, with likely a
healthy dose of gang slang. Is that your target audience? If not, why not just chuck
the book and find another instead of spending time finding possible errors.

Decent large Spanish-English dictionaries should also be a moderately useful sources of
slang, noted as "familiar" and "colloquial".

Well, the title gave me pause, but I liked the idea of a book that focused on slang and
colloquialisms in the form of lessons and dialog (rather than in dictionary-like
format, of which kind I already have a couple) and this was the only one fitting that
description other than another series that also has "street" in the title:)

The subtitle is "Speak and Understand Everyday Spanish: The Practical Guide to
Contemporary Slang and Colloquial Expressions Across the Spanish Speaking World."The
first chapter features dialogues set in LA, but the next focuses on Santiago, Chile,
the next Miami, then Santander, Spain, etc.

As I've tried to convey, what really annoys me is not the fact that they used this
alternate sub-meaning for "ruca." Now I know that this makes sense for that chapter, as
it's set in LA. What gets me is that they don't tell you about the other (more common)
slang-meaning, and in fact claim that the alternate sub-meaning of the dialog is "the"
meaning for a huge swath of Latin America.

If I continue to use this book, I guess I'll just have to assume that any unfamiliar
vocabulary or meanings it presents may only be applicable to the area the dialog takes
place, despite whatever it says to the contrary in its explanations.

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4260 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 8 of 9
14 September 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I've talked to my native-speaking friends (one was Colombian, another Chilean) and "batallar" is pretty Mexican. They used it a lot in Mexico when I was there, too.

"vato"=guey/mano, etc. I thought that it was "old" slang but it is still very-widely used, by young folks too.

"Cómo ves" and "qué dices" are very mexican. That's all they say in Mexico. :)

"ese" is not Mexican. It's chicano...when Mexican/americans speak in English.

FYI (if you didn't know), the people from the Distrito Federal are known as "chilangos."

Gala wrote:

I'm familiar with all of those words/ phrases (although I wouldn't use most of them),
but for "vato" I only know how it's used, not its literal meaning nor its derivation
(though "bato" for bumpkin or fool [a pretty different meaning than "vato"] I've found
in the dictionary). Do you know if it's specifically Mex-American? ¿Cómo ves/ qué
dices? and batallar I didn't even view as specifically Mexican, I thought they were
standard. Do they have specifically Mexican slang-meanings besides their obvious ones?
One that puzzles me (although I know how it's used) is "ese," which I believe is only
or originally Mex-American (in its slang context.) How did "that" come to be a casual,
friendly form of address for men?

that are used or at least understood in most regions. But what really annoys me is
that, judging from how they present "ruca," this book can't even be trusted to give you
accurate info on important regional differences. For example, if "ruca" had been
presented exactly as it was in the LA dialog, and explained in that context, it
wouldn't have bothered me........IF they had also explained how it's used in Mexico,
the Caribbean and (I imagine) other places. But they apparently didn't know (though
they pretended to.) This is especially troubling as the word in question is
offensive in those regions.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version