Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4295 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 26
15 September 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Nevertheless, "Unglück" is the opposite of "Glück", while "good luck" and "bad luck" are two forms of "luck", so it is a different concept.

You are trying to make a semantic distinction that does not seem exist (to me). Good/Bad anything exists in degrees on a continuum unless you can show that the culture believes differently. While languages often reflect a culture's beliefs, you have yet to offer evidence that German culture does believe them to be distinct concepts apart from your own semantic interpretation. Do you have such cultural references to offer?

As to the definition of unglücklich, my popup dictionary (concise Oxford) gives for an a German translation of the English "unlucky" the following:

unglücklich; (not successful) glücklos; Pech haben.

Wictionary gives a definition of unfortunate.

As I have only studied a small amount of German I can't speak to this matter authoritatively and rely on such dictionaries.

I would welcome the perspective of other native German speakers on these issues.

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4324 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 18 of 26
15 September 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
daegga wrote:
Seems like the original pair was "Glück/Unglück" and "Pech" just figurative speech for the latter. Thus no different concept than in English - glücklich vs. unglücklich = lucky vs. unlucky

The article says the term was developed during the Middle Ages, that means it already existed in Middle High German. Nevertheless, "Unglück" is the opposite of "Glück", while "good luck" and "bad luck" are two forms of "luck", so it is a different concept. By the way, "glücklich" means "happy" and not "lucky".

"glücklich" can have both meanings at least in attributive position, doesn't matter for the illustration though. What I wanted to illustrate is that English has the same opposition. I don't see two different concepts of luck in the English noun and adjective, just two ways of expressing the same.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4647 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 19 of 26
15 September 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
@Peregrinus:
You can believe me that I know my native language!

Other than that, I can only repeat myself: "Pech" is the opposite of "Glück", but both words can be modified by adjectives, so there is a continuum in German as well. I only said - and I'm asking myself if you'll understand it this time - that English uses one word (i.e. "luck") while German has two different words. I never said German culture had a different concept of "good luck" and "bad luck" than English, but only the German language!

As to "(un)glücklich": The primary meaning is "(un)happy". But you're right, in some contexts it can be translated as "(un)lucky", e.g. "Es war eine glückliche Fügung".

Edited by Josquin on 15 September 2012 at 12:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4336 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 26
15 September 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Interesting discussion! I am learning German so I am definitely not an expert here.

One thing I have always found odd in English that the meaning of 'luck' itself seems to have two separate meanings:

1. It is mostly used in the positive sense (e.g., "Lots of luck with your exams"), which can be negated like other positive terms (e.g., "he was unlucky").

2. But if it is always positive how can "He had bad luck or good luck" make sense? In this context it seems like a neutral term than be modified by the appropriate adjective.

My (non-native) reading was German has separate words for the concepts "good luck" and "bad luck", but not this more neutral sense of luck in example 2.

Edited by patrickwilken on 15 September 2012 at 3:58pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4752 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 21 of 26
15 September 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Just to spice it up a bit, Portuguese also has different words for good and bad luck:

sorte (good luck)
azar (bad luck)

French usually would use in standard usage "de la chance", but colloquially "avoir du pot". For bad luck however, colloquially many say "pas bol!"... so one could say it also has two separate expressions. I hear that much more than "N'avoir pas de chance". English or Spanish don't seem to have such distinctions.

Spanish however has the famous "te aprecio vs te quiero vs te amo" nuance, which I have not been able to find such a nuance in English, or, thus far, in German or French. Portuguese has "quero-te" and "amo-te" (in Brazil "te" may go in front depending on speakers).

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4295 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 26
15 September 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
@Peregrinus:
You can believe me that I know my native language!

Josquin,

No offense was intended. But despite dictionary definitions and personal native language knowledge, there are often dialectal/regional variations, which may not be noted in dictionaries. This is why I asked for the perspective of other German native speakers. Thank you for the further explanations as well.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4468 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 23 of 26
16 September 2012 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
emk wrote:
I'm always fascinated by phrases like à la mode
(in English) and un smoking (in French), which seem to be some sort of linguistic
expatriates. They enjoy living abroad, so to speak, but nobody's ever seen them at home.

"Un smoking" meaning
this?

It's Italian too. FWIW.

Was it Morecambe and Wise who asked "What's the French for double entendre?" ?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4471 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 24 of 26
16 September 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
hepiend is a Croatian word ;)
Хэппи-энд is a Russian word ;)
In English it's said as: happy ending
LOL

happy ending ---> hepiend

;) in English happy ending is not a word, just an expression which is not necessarily fixed, since a movie can have a happy ending or a sad ending. ;)

Edited by Medulin on 16 September 2012 at 3:27pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version