Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4299 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 20
15 September 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Since I started learning German, I tried many methods, including those two. While I like
Rosetta Stone design, it has certain drawbacks, and I'm aware it's not very popular among
language learners. Pimsleur is probably better, but as an only-audio system it also has
some flaws, like that most dialogues are made for 50's businessmen.
I would like to hear another opinion about those two methods, and which one is better and
why.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 20
15 September 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
That's like comparing Luka Modrić with Andy Schleck. (your profile says you like cycling)

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4476 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 20
16 September 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Every time someone mentions rosetta stone on this website , it's a first poster. I can't believe that this is a
coincidence, I rather believe that this is clever spam.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 20
16 September 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
My thoughts exactly - and I did encourage the previous spammer to tell us clearly what benefits RS has, compared to a specific course...

I sincerely apologize if I'm wrong but I do wonder how you even got the courses. There's a crisis and you buy the two most expensive and most overrated resources out there... But I admit this is far more convincing than a German using RS to learn English.

Edited by Serpent on 16 September 2012 at 2:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 20
16 September 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Well they are two of the most widely advertised courses, and if he is truly a newbie then he might gravitate toward them.

To answer him seriously, I think it fair to just say neither will take you to a high level or teach you much explicit grammar. And that they both cost way too much for what they provide. But if they can be had used on the cheap or borrowed from a library, then go ahead and use them for a starter course.

After that follow up with Assimil (old or new), FSI German (free), old Linguaphone or maybe the Living Language series.

But if he is expecting the comparison he asked for, then he should use google search on this domain to find previous threads on each.

Edited by Peregrinus on 16 September 2012 at 4:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4499 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 6 of 20
16 September 2012 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Who cares? ;)
IF he's hired to do "viral marketing", HTLAL is the worst place imaginable, as you can bet one of the RS-haters (out of its huge RS-hater community) _will_ at some point jump at it.

Actually, even bad PR is good PR, so why not ignore it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4476 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 7 of 20
16 September 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Building an online presence includes having many posts dedicated to your product. Here it's done very
cleverly, not restricting the post to RS only and seemingly asking for genuine advice, but it's still making us
waste time explaining that this is not a product worth your time or money.

So to help search engines with guiding customers : Rosetta Stone is both overpriced and shitty. I actually
expressed my concern to my bookshop when they started to have a few of these items. They're
misguiding customers and wasting bookshelf space, and I tend to trust them less than before.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Languageguy
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4299 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 8 of 20
16 September 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
It seems there is some misunderstanding going on here. I'm neither a spammer nor RS
agent, I just wanted some genuine advice as I don't know many other language learning
programs besides those two.
Maybe my post seemed blunt, but it wasn't my intention, just wanted to know which one is
better, and maybe find a alternative.
As for Assimil, I have it in book format, but I have found out learning on computer is
more immersive, but maybe it's just me.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version