Diglot
Germany
Joined 4302 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, Mandarin
Studies: Tatar, Turkish

Message 1 of 21
19 September 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm very interested in Russian native languages, especially Yakut - since I didn't find enough (english/german) resources for Yakut, I decided to go for (Kazan) Tatar first, since I just stumbled upon this Tatar language book written by Margarete I. Ersen-Rasch, who is also known for her great Turkish language books.

http://books.google.de/books?id=n57awi5QrfMC&printsec=frontc over&hl=de#v=onepage&q&f=false

This journal is going to be very SLOOW, since I'm going to learn Tatar at a very slow pace - I'm learning just for fun, after all! :)

I'm only going to start writing in Tatar when I'm halfway through the book~~

Edited by onkel_xiaoma on 19 September 2012 at 3:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6415 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 21
19 September 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
So cool!!! I once was at the presentation of Tatar at the Moscow Language Festival, it was fantastic!

Good luck with it! Let me know if I can help anyhow as a Russian native speaker.

Edited by Serpent on 19 September 2012 at 5:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4302 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 3 of 21
19 September 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
So cool!!! I once was at the presentation of Tatar at the Moscow Language Festival, it was fantastic!

Good luck with it! Let me know if I can help anyhow as a Russian native speaker.

Thank You, Serpent!
I actually might need Your help later on :)

A Language Festival? That sounds great! Can You tell a bit more about it?

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4302 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 4 of 21
19 September 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
To get a feel for the sound of the language, I started to listen to the Tatarstan (state?) radio station "Болгар радиосы".

http://tnv.ru/tat/main1/bolgar_radiosi/

(Click "Онлайн" in the upper right corner - You can switch the website to Russian by clicking on "рус")

I really like the Tatar pop music broadcast on this station!

Edited by onkel_xiaoma on 19 September 2012 at 7:28pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4984 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 21
19 September 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to seeing this log on a native Russian language. Good luck, onkel xiaoma!!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6415 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 21
20 September 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
As for the language festival, well, it's kinda similar to, say, bookfairs - but less commercial. This one was mostly organized by the Esperanto association, but there are always 60-80 languages present and it's by no means an Esperanto advertizing thing. The aim is not really to teach but just to introduce people to various languages and cultures, maybe help them decide which language to learn or encourage them to learn languages they've always wanted to learn but didn't dare. Of course that's a great way to meet people who're interested in your target language and even native speakers. Usually a presentation consists of some useful phrases, music, photos of the country(-ies), some basic grammar info, trivia etc. The only limits are time (30 min) and imagination :)) For a popular language it can be more like "thought you knew everything about English? HAH!". At the Tatar presentation I ate "chak-chak" for the first time and it was awesome:))) And at the toki pona presentation everyone got a complete dictionary of the language for free;D

Just for fun, thought I'd list the presentations I've visited: Icelandic 2x, Swedish, Portuguese, Danish, Esperanto, Hindi, toki pona, Belarusian, Yiddish, Tatar, Romanian, Assyrian. Also some lectures/discussions (e.g. "esoteric programming languages") and a tea ceremony :-)

Edited by Serpent on 20 September 2012 at 12:35am

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4302 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 7 of 21
20 September 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Thank You, Expugnator and Serpent!

Wish there was a language festival around here too!!

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4302 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 8 of 21
20 September 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Just finished the first lesson - Tatar seems to be very close to Bashkir, just take a look at the first chapter of the Bashkir language book by the same author and compare it to the Tatar one.

"Fascinating!"

Tatar:
http://books.google.de/books?id=n57awi5QrfMC&printsec=frontc over&hl=de#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bashkir:
http://books.google.de/books?id=wdS5vx0lNoIC&printsec=frontc over&dq=baschkirisch&source=bl&ots=ePPUmD3Fk3&sig=mmtN_gZE0U OCpYneaqBR4mpJP8I&hl=de&sa=X&ei=FHdbULn0I42VswbckIHYBQ&ved=0 CDkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by onkel_xiaoma on 20 September 2012 at 10:13pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version