Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5354 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 19
20 September 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
By 'magic' I mean Linguaphone is largely a listening 'input' method and has longer
dialogues than Assimil (5 minutes compared to 1 minute) so to get the best out of it one
has to listen and listen and listen to internalise the language. The later editions
with the FSI type substition exercises help you get there quicker, but one still has to
listen and listen as one does with Assimil (and maybe use Luca Lampariello's method -
which works very well with Linguaphone).   
1 person has voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4281 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 10 of 19
20 September 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Elexi,

Why do you feel that Lampariello's method works especially well with Linguaphone? And do you feel it does not work as well with Assimil? Basically one is starting the active wave immediately (though working from one's own translation back to L2), so is that not harder at each point? Is it not a core principal (even if never explicitly put) of Assimil that the active wave on an exercise is after 50+ lessons previous precisely so that the active wave on a given lesson is easier and thus presumably less time-consuming/more efficient? I can see that if one already knew the grammar fairly well the benefit of waiting might not be nearly as great (if there is indeed such a benefit).

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 11 of 19
20 September 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:
I did the French Linguaphone from the 70s. Took me about 2 months to get to lesson 26 or 27 I think next to Assimil. I used it the same exact way I used Assimil.

Nice, so more or less 2 days per lesson? Seems a bit speedy, but I suppose I can adjust on the fly.

In which way did you use Assimil? Or just the Dutch w/ Ease stuff?

Sorry for so many questions, but how good was your French pre-Linguaphone, and how far would you say it took you?

Well, I just remember doing one audio file per day. It may have been 3 months. It was awhile ago. If there were 3 audio files per lesson, it took me 3 days to complete that lesson.

The way I used Assimil was I L/R'ed the text once, went through the lesson again without the audio while reading the notes, L/R'ed a few more times, then listened without the text until I caught at least 85-90%. I'm not sure if those are the Dutch instructions because I don't remember what they are like. :S

My French was virtually non-existent when I started Linguaphone. A1/A2 maybe. Using Linguaphone didn't take me far as much as it solidified a B1 level for me with Assimil. I could understand basic radio commercials, start reading somewhat comfortably, and have some fun conversations on sharedtalk while looking up a word once in awhile.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5354 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 19
20 September 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I have tried using Assimil as a 'first' course and I must confess it didn't work for
me. The passive wave went over me and passed me by so that I effectively wasted 2
months. This may not be true of most people here, but for me Assimil or Linguaphone
always comes after something like MT, Paul Noble, Pimsleur, so I have only really come
to Assimil/Linguaphone having already had a grasp of the basics of a language's
grammar.

The structure of most 70s Linguaphone lessons (at least in the French, German, Spanish
and Italian courses - other courses play with the format slightly) is 3 fold - a) a
monologue - the lesson's main protagonist talks to the listener b) a conversation
setting on the theme of the lesson and c) a dialogue that stresses the particular
grammatical feature of the lesson. Unlike Assimil, Linguaphone does not provide a
parallel text but sets out (often) a line by line analysis of the text explaining the
new grammar and idiomatic points deployed in parts a) and b) of the lesson. A lesson,
as I said is about 5 minutes of audio.

I think Luca Lampariello's method works well with this structure because (aside from
the FSI like drills found in later editions) there is no real 'active' method in
Linguaphone - although there are some 'magic key' like tables that show how sentences
are put together. For someone like me, who only really sees inside a grammatical or
idiomatic construction when I try to construct a sentence understanding the text,
translating it literally into English helps me grasp word order and idion and then
going back to L2 from my translation helps to 'fix' it my mind and reveal
misunderstandings I have about grammar. When I re-listen to the audio I find my
understand is fuller and my listening comprehension improved.

May not work for all, but it works for me.

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4281 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 13 of 19
20 September 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Elexi,

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. I have seen Linguaphone course books but don't remember them well, though I seem to remember the Russian one (50s/60s??) did not even have a printed translation unless that was in a separate book. Is there in fact a literal English translation for all the L2 material, even if not in parallel?

From reading past posts in the forum Linguaphone and Assimil are often (favorably) put in the same category. But if Linguaphone does not have parallel texts, then it would seem that it cannot even be used passively in the way Assimil is.

I do wonder though whether the usefulness of Lampariello's method to you is in part due to one not as easily remembering such longer audio even upon several reviews in the way shorter Assimil lessons tend to be. Just my speculation though without being very familiar with Linguaphone's products, and I don't mean to imply that Linguaphone should be judged by similarity to Assimil.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6022 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 19
20 September 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Yes every edition of the Russian Linguaphone has had book with the Russian text, a book with translation. The details in the translation book and how many other books are in the set very over time.

There is scan and mp3 set from the 50s/60s as an illegal download. It is not the complete set from that time period. I am not sure what is missing. However, I do know it does not have the English translation.

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4281 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 15 of 19
20 September 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I saw a physical book in Russian in some used bookstore years ago. But of course such stray books get separated from the set very often I imagine. In that Linguaphone buyers thread started a while back I wonder if the contents of each version are being listed to aid buying on ebay or wherever. Nothing would be worse than getting a set missing a critical component.

Since Dr. Arguelles speaks well of Linguaphone but also loves Assimil, I wonder if he scans the books and then slices and dices to make parallel texts for Linguaphone.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6022 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 19
21 September 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
The problem with the 30-40s era Russian is the titles match the titles I see from the 50 -60s era. However the content is not totally the same. I have never seen a complete 50-60s era course to know if all titles are the same and the total number of books match. I have not seen on this site a listing for them.

I had to piece together the books for the set for my 30-40s set with 78s records.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version