Norway
Joined 5443 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Arabic (classical), Urdu

Message 49 of 52
21 January 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
whitelily wrote:
Good to be back. I´ve been really busy with exams and travelling. I hope you are well! Edit: Just
wanted to add I´ve
been reviewing the previous posts in this thread today, and they´ve been and continue to be incredibly beneficial
to me.

ایک معجزہ جس نے مجھے زندگی کی بہت بڑی خوشی دی

I was wondering if you could help me understand this sentence. I think it means something like "A miracle which
gave my life a lot of happiness."? What I´m having trouble with is breaking down the part with "mujhe zindagi ki
bahut baRi hoshii dii". I don´t understand how mujhe is being used here.

I´ve continued to try to work on that first sentence by breaking it down, in order to try to understand what is going
on in this sentence.

"Ek mu3jza jis ne mujhe zindagi ki bahut baRii xoshii dii."

So:
"Ek mu3jza" (a miracle)
"jis ne" (which)
"mujhe" (to me)
"zindagi ki bahut baRi xoshii" (life´s great(est?) joy)
"di" (gave)

So, after the "jis ne", is it correct to couple "mujhe" and "di" together by thinking that sth. (ek mu3jza) gave (di) sth.
(zindagi ki bahut baRii xoshi) to me (mujhe)?

Does this seem correct? (I´m struggling with translating "zindagi ki bahut baRi xoshii", as the meaning of "bahut
baRi xoshii" probably is closer to "a very great joy", but then that sounds strange together with "zindagi ki".)
So, would the translation be something like "A miracle (?) which gave me the greatest joy of life." ?

Edited by whitelily on 21 January 2013 at 2:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4511 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Urdu
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 50 of 52
22 January 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I´ve continued to try to work on that first sentence by breaking it down, in order to try to understand what is going on in this sentence.   "Ek mu3jza jis ne mujhe zindagi ki bahut baRii xoshii dii."   So: "Ek mu3jza" (a miracle) "jis ne" (which) "mujhe" (to me) "zindagi ki bahut baRi xoshii" (life´s great(est?) joy) "di" (gave)

Your understanding of the sentence is correct. Please note that it is Khushi and not xoshi.

o, after the "jis ne", is it correct to couple "mujhe" and "di" together by thinking that sth. (ek mu3jza) gave (di) sth.
(zindagi ki bahut baRii xoshi) to me (mujhe)?

If (by what I understand you're trying to say in the above sentence) you mean "Eik Maujiza jis ne muje di zindagi ki bahut bari khushi" You can say it like that but it is not recommended.Uneducated people speak like that so you can still hear sentences like that being spoken but educated urdu speakers will say "Eik muajiza jis nay muje zindagi ki bahut bari khushi di" In these circumstances, the thing that is given will come between "muje" and "di"

"Is nay muje eik buhat bari gari di" "He gave me a very big car"
"Is nay muje eik buhat achi kitab di" "He gave me a very nice book"
"Is nay muje buhat ziada paani dia"   "He gave me too much water"
"Is nay khanay mein muje chawal dia" "He gave me rice for lunch/dinner"
"Is nay muje apni zindagi ki sab say bari khushi di" "He gave me the greatest joy/happiness of my life"

So if you want to say that someone gave something to you, you will have to use this format of framing sentences always.

"Us nay muje kuch dia" "He gave something to me"/"He gave me something"

Does this seem correct? (I´m struggling with translating "zindagi ki bahut baRi xoshii", as the meaning of "bahut
baRi xoshii" probably is closer to "a very great joy", but then that sounds strange together with "zindagi ki".)
So, would the translation be something like "A miracle (?) which gave me the greatest joy of life." ?

By correct, if you mean "Is nay muje di zindagi ki buhat bari khushi", then no it's not correct... and it's considered uneducated speech.

"Zindagi ki buhat bari khushi" translates as you mentioned before into "The greatest joy of life" but you missed one English sentence which can also be said having the same meaning... "Life's greatest joy" ....

"Zindagi ki buhat bari khushi" "Life's greatest joy"

"Zindagi" is "life"
"Buhat bari khushi" means "very big happiness" which in proper English means "a great joy"
"ki" over here acts as an apostrophe (') ... So Life('s) = Zindagi (ki)... This is how the sentence is to be translated into English. I'll give you a few examples.

"Gari (ka) rung kala tha" "The car('s) colour was black"
"Un (ki) taangeing lambeenh hein" "His/her leg('s) are long"
"Billy (ki) zindagi" " The cat('s) life"
"Zindagi (ki) bari..." "Life('s) biggest..."
"Zindagi (ki) choati..." "Life('s) smallest..."

Pay close attention to how the "ki" is being used as an English apostrophe in these sentences and contexts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4511 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Urdu
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 51 of 52
22 January 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
"Hamaray Iskool ko shuru honay abhi kuch hi din guzray thay k eik nai larki nay hamari class mein dakhla lia" I find this sentence very difficult. I understand something about a new girl joining the class just as the school day (?) is about to begin/start? I´ve tried to break down this sentence as well, but I haven´t been very successful.

This sentence is not difficult to understand but very difficult to translate. You are finding it difficult because you haven't been exposed to sentences being written or spoken in this way.Also note that it should not be 'honay' but 'huay'. 'Honay' would signify the present tense but we are talking about our school that already started so we use the past tense to show that our school started and we use 'huay'. Let's break it down:

"Hamaray" "Our"
"Iskool" "School"
"Dakhla" "Admission"
"Lia"    "Took"

"Ko shuru huay (abhi)" "Since the beginning/start/commencement of something that is taking place (now)" The word "abhi" denotes that the event is happening currently as in "right now"

"Kuch hi din guzray thay" "Only a few days have passed" ---> Kuch=few, din=days, hi=just; "Kuch din"="some days"; "Kuch hi din"="just some days"

Now consider the English sentence: "Its been just a few days since our school started" This is exactly what the first part of this sentence means but a proper English translation would be "It's been only a few days since the commencement of our school"

"Ko shuru huay (abhi) kuch hi din guzray thay" should be taken as "A few days have passed (now) since the start of something" And that something will always come before the "ko". In this sentence we our trying to say that "It's been just a few days/Just a few days have passed since the commencement of our school" in which the "something" being started is "school".... So it'll come before ko. I'll give you an example to clear things out:

"Film ko shuru huay abhi ek ghanta guzr gaya" "It's been an hour since the film started"
"Chutiyoan ko shuru huay abhi teen din guzr gaye/guzray hein" "Its been three days since the holidays started"
"Baarish ko shuru huay abhi chalis minute guzr gaye" "Its been 40 minutes since it started raining"

Hopefully you should get the meaning and context from the above sentences. If you don't please feel free to ask.

The second part of the sentence starting from "...k eik nai larki nay hamari class mein dakhla lia"

This is not difficult to translate as the first part of the sentence.

"k" "that"
"eik" "a"
"nai" "new"
"larki" "girl"
"hamari" "our"----> hamari is used instead of hamara as the gender for the word "class" is feminine. So its hamari class NOT hamara class.
"mein dakhl lia" "was admitted into"/"took admission in"
"mein" "in/into"
"lia" "took"
"dakhla" "admission"
"nay" is used to show that the girl took admission in the class and acts as a way to make the sentence flow together.

It translates as "...that a new girl took admission in our class"

So the whole sentence translates as "Only a few days had passed/It's been just a few days since our school started/since the commencement of our school that a new girl took admission in our class."

If you don't understand any point from the explanation above please feel free to ask.

3 persons have voted this message useful

whitelily
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5443 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Arabic (classical), Urdu

Message 52 of 52
25 January 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
That was very well explained, thank you!

As for coupling the words together, I didn´t mean literally; I just meant in terms of trying to understand which
words refers to what in the sentence in order to get the meaning (as that can get confusing at times). So, I was
trying to break down the sentence by picking out the things I thought "belonged together" (in the terms of
meaning) in order to break it down in fractions that I can understand. So, I would take mujhe and di, and then use
that thinking that: "something was given to me (mujhe........di). What was given to me? (zindagi ki bahut baRii
xoshi).

I had quite a few "aha" moments when reading your explanation of the second sentence. The way you put it, it
makes a lot more sense. Excellent! Thank you again.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version