Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4282 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 1 of 21
30 September 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
I took some advice here and downloaded the flash card program, Anki. It had a feature that let you download flash card decks created by other people, which I did. Cool. That worked great. However, when I try to create my own deck, it's an exercise in frustration. I cannot find the command to save my life. I've dug through and through the manual with still no luck. I did an Internet search and found some videos and pages that said to go to the File menu and choose New. Apparently that was the way it was done in the old version because I'm finding no New command under File in ver 2. When I looked on Anki's web site on how to do it, it said consult the manual. Arg! I've already been through and through that thing and have found info an numerous wonderful features, just not the very basic on how to create your own deck.

Can someone enlighten me? I've been looking for the command for the last 45 minutes and have found everything but that command.
1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyIronsights
Canada
Joined 4251 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 21
30 September 2012 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
That's frightening, I just came here to complain about how I was frustrated with the
supermemo program, and difficulties I am having with creating my own deck and how I was
going to switch to anki.

Now I read that ANKI has a problem with that?????

Edited by BobbyIronsights on 30 September 2012 at 5:34am

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4282 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 

Message 3 of 21
30 September 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
BobbyIronsights wrote:
That's frightening, I just came here to complain about how I was frustrated with the
supermemo program, and difficulties I am having with creating my own deck and how I was
going to switch to anki.

Now I read that ANKI has a problem with that?????

Let's see how it turns out. There must be a way to do this. On the plus side I've found a bunch of great features in Anki. The developer must have thought that command was easy to find in this version. I've developed software before. Sometimes what you think is intuitive isn't to the pubic. Their help system also leaves much to be desired.

However, I must emphasize the program does offer a bunch of great features, including the ability to put sound and image files into a card. It has the built-in ability to find and download decks other people have made. Those are the only decks I can use until I figure this out.

I might contact the maker. My recommendations will be to create an obvious deck command named, "Create my own deck" and to switch to a standard searchable and indexable HTML help system.

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4282 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 

Message 4 of 21
30 September 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Hey, Bobbyironsights, good news. I just figured it out. The command for creating a new deck is:
Tools ==> Study Deck ==> Add (button)

Very, very, very counterintuitive!

Then in the help file, there's a section named "Decks," which explains what they are, but not how to make them.

I'm bringing this to the attention of the maker, in a nice way, of course. After all the price is right. It's a free program and it does offer a lot of very good features. Go ahead and give it a try. I just figured out the counterintuitive stuff for you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 5 of 21
30 September 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
In Anki 2 do the following:

-click on "Add" at the top of the browser window, noting that the last used deck will be displayed on the button in the top right of the add screen that comes up

-click on that button with that deck name and you will get the "Choose Deck" screen

-instead of using the filter (your new deck is not yet in the list of course), click on the "add" button at the bottom and you will get a screen with the current deck highlighted for inputting your new deck name (or modify the name of the current deck)

-use a double colon "::" (without quotes) to indicate a subdeck, so for example if you put in "mynewdeck::lesson1", Anki will create a deck named "mynewdeck" and a subdeck named "lesson1"

-once you have done this, the add screen will reflect your new deck and you can start adding entries (but note that if you immediately close the add screen and go to the deck list and click on "add" again, the previously used deck is still considered the current deck and new entries will be added to that unless you change it)

Edit: I see you just posted again and figured out that you have to go through the add screen as there is no new deck option in the menu as in the old version of Anki. It does not matter how you get to that add screen.

Edited by Peregrinus on 30 September 2012 at 7:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4704 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 21
30 September 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
I am a long-time user of Anki 1. Anki 2 may be faster, but in terms of easiness of use it's a big step backwards. Anki
2 seems to be made only for software geeks without any consideration of good software ergonomics.

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 7 of 21
30 September 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
I am a long-time user of Anki 1. Anki 2 may be faster, but in terms of easiness of use it's a big step backwards. Anki
2 seems to be made only for software geeks without any consideration of good software ergonomics.

There is some truth to this certainly, but note that this is usually the case when making a bigger jump from one version of a software to another version, as opposed to intermediate tweaks/improvements. The developer has been focusing on getting a workable stable version of Anki 2 out, and will later focus on additional features and improvements. IMO the additional speed and features outweigh the admittedly clumsy manner of implementation of some things that require more unintuitive clicks. Hopefully these will get ironed out in the future and it is nice that the developer has been willing to accept code contributions as with the person who contributed the code to make sub-decks of various decks collapsible in the decks list (though unfortunately not in the browser for sub-decks or tags).

WillFuqua
United States
willfuqua.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

11 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 21
30 September 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you should just use the 1.2.8 version (I think that's right)? I prefer the older version because the newer
is still being refined and also I use the iOS app which still uses the older version. As soon as a good stable
version 2 comes out for both the iOS and Windows/Linux, then I'll upgrade.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version