United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5347 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 21
30 September 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I find it very worrying that the more I read about Anki 2, the more I hope Anki 1.x stays around for a long while. This is especially true after reading that Anki 1's syncing will go way once Anki 2 has gained enough foothold. If I find myself not liking Anki 2 by the time Anki 1.x's syncing feature disappears, I guess I'll just have to let Dropbox handle syncing the decks instead.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4704 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 21
30 September 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
In Anki 1, I stored my sound files in Dropbox - it's very easy to access the sound files in AnkiWeb or
AnkiMobile.

Now, in Anki 2, I must upload the media files to the Anki server. The reason for this? To make things easier. I
think it's now more complicated...
1 person has voted this message useful

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4282 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 11 of 21
01 October 2012 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Is it still possible to get Anki 1? Maybe I should try the old version.

In any event, I have had some good study sessions with Anki 2 now that I figured that one problem. However, there's a new wrinkle. I got through one deck and it said, “Congratulations! You have finished this deck for now.” But I want to study it some more. I tried clicking on the Options button and then changing the “new cards per day” setting from 20 to 100, but I still get the program telling me I've studied the deck enough even though I think I should study it some more. Is there some way to override?

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 21
01 October 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
At this point you really need to read the Anki 2.0 User Manual which will answer your questions (yes you can review them again before they are due). Also see Changes in Anki 2 for differences between it and version 1.

I don't see options to download the old program version 1 on the download page, but if you google anki + cnet you will find a link to an older version, though the question is how old. Whether you can find the last update to 1.0 is the question.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 21
01 October 2012 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I don't think the OP actually meant 1.0 but just any stable 1.x, it can certainly be downloaded as Anki 2.0 is still beta.

For reviewing the same deck several times, use the cramming mode. I prefer to just mark the cards as zero till I want to move on.

Tropi
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5243 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 21
01 October 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
lwtproject: Damien explained in the mailing list why he dropped dropbox support. It's not because of him liking to pay additional server fees to host our stuff, but changing dropbox policies.

Spinchäeb Ape: Yes, you can still download Anki 1.X. The newest version is still mentioned in the download section, otherwise go to the Google Code Download page: https://code.google.com/p/anki/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colsp ec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount

Yes, Anki 2 still has a lot of things that should be improved (very little plugins so far, problems with option groups, etc...) however most of the features are really cool and I can't wait until the final version is released, so we can focus on the features again. As already mentioned Damien is currently focusing on getting Anki 2 stable/bug free and doesn't care much about features at this stage.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4704 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 15 of 21
01 October 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Tropi wrote:
lwtproject: Damien explained in the mailing list why he dropped dropbox support. It's not because
of him liking to pay additional server fees to host our stuff, but changing dropbox policies.

changing dropbox policies?? Only if Damien wants to access my DropBox. If I save my audios in a public DropBox
area and save the base URL in Anki, Anki doesn't need to know about Dropbox APIs and private accesses at all! The
main reason is that Damien wants to do all the organisation of the media files within Anki..

It's interesting that iPhone apps like Flashcard Deluxe can do all this without any problems. Only Anki gets more and
more complicated!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 21
01 October 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Tropi wrote:
lwtproject: Damien explained in the mailing list why he dropped dropbox support. It's not because of him liking to pay additional server fees to host our stuff, but changing dropbox policies.

It's interesting that iPhone apps like Flashcard Deluxe can do all this without any problems. Only Anki gets more and more complicated!

Huh, I thought the new sync was nice and easy. To synchronize media in Anki 1.2, I needed to do the following:

1. Download the Dropbox client and create a Dropbox account.
2. Figure out how to get the base URL of my public folder by right-clicking on a text file somewhere.
3. Move all of my media from ".anki/DECK.media" to "Dropbox/Public/Anki/deck.media".
4. Enter the Dropbox base URL into my Anki preferences.
5. Enter my Dropbox/Public/Anki path into my Anki preferences.
6. Synchronize with AnkiWeb.
7. Run two synchronizations in AnkiDroid before everything worked.

Of course, I did one of these steps out of order, and things got even more complicated.

In Anki 2, it was a lot simpler:

1. Copy and paste media into an Anki card.
2. Synchronize Anki desktop with AnkiWeb.
3. Synchronize AnkiDroid with AnkiWeb.

Obviously, if you have a lot of media, there may still be some limitations with the new system. But at least for me, Anki 2's media sync was much easier than the old system.

As for creating new decks, new models, and new card types, I agree that it isn't obvious. Right now, you can only do these things from the "Add Card" window.

And I'm delighted by the fact that Anki 2 doesn't get confused if I review cards on my phone and add some new cards on my laptop. With Anki 1.2, I had to follow a rigid synchronization order and never forget it, or I'd lose data. In Anki 2, I just push "Synchronize" and everything works.

Overall, getting used to Anki 2 took me about a week. Like everybody else, I found it disconcerting at first, but it really feels like a much more mature, reliable and user-friendly tool that Anki 1.2 ever did.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version