Brazil
Joined 5693 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 185 of 344
05 January 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Lessons 43 to 49

Seventh review lesson. At this point, I'm happy to understand longer and more normally spoken texts. Although not yet natural texts, we're close to that and the mere fact that it took me less than 25 hours to do this is somewhat amazing and I won't continue to complain about grammatical explanations here.

I'm very curious about the active phase, hoping that it is as well designed, and we are going to produce texts in our target languages without pain.
1 person has voted this message useful

shiningstars
Diglot
United States
lang-8.com/351461
Joined 4481 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese

Message 186 of 344
06 January 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Le vietnamien sans peine update

I finished all of the 63 lessons in this book, and honestly, I think it is the best
language course I've ever used. Obviously, I did not update periodically here... But, I
did so HERE on my blog.

I think that everybody reacts to different methods in different ways. Fortunately,
Assimil just happened to work extremely well for me. No, I don't remember every single
vocab word that showed up in the book, but I remember most of them.

I happened to meet a very nice Vietnamese friend online, and I have been talking to her
throughout my studies. I can understand most of everything that she says. I tweet in
Vietnamese too, and it is so easy for me to do because of this course.

I did one lesson everyday, and I only missed 2 days out of my whole time doing this
experiment. Sometimes it could be somewhat frustrating, but most of the time every
lesson was a joy. The only bad thing is, I wish there were more lessons!

The book explains things so, so well. And even if I didn't understand a certain grammar
point when it was first introduced, everything was continuously reviewed until I
understood and it was second nature. The audio is superb. I think Assimil spoiled me,
because now when I listen to audio from other courses, it is either of bad quality or
gummed up with annoying English.

I didn't know anything about Vietnamese or the culture before I started this, so I am
really grateful that I chose to participate in this experiment; I have grown to love
Vietnamese!
7 persons have voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5913 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 187 of 344
07 January 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Hey, all!

I am late getting to this, but I restarted Assimil for the new year before I found this discussion. I hope it's not too late to join in. Obviously, I am still in the first week of the passive wave.

I am really tempted to use more than one source, just as others here have experienced. But I will limit my study to Assimil (German Without Toil c1982) and see what happens. I must say that I am not a beginner. A couple summers ago I used Defense Language Institute materials and about lessons 1-21 of GWT. So I don't expect any trouble for the first month or two.

As for absolute BEGINNERS, I wouldn't recommend Assimil. Especially for those languages (like Japanese) with new alphabets or word-order. It seems to me that if one could get 20 Pimsleur lessons or a Traveler's Phrases tape one would be in a much better position for starting Assimil.

OK, time to go do my lesson...

:wq!

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5258 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 188 of 344
07 January 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
L'Egyptien

It's been a while since I updated, and I confess to missing one week and then backtracking to catch up. I just finished lesson 28, so 4 weeks done - not a very good pace. The hardest part I've found in this course is trusting it to keep me going. With L'Alsacien sans peine, I had enough standard German behind me that a lot of what was going on was recognizable. I'm finding, with Egyptian, that my choices are to really only get a handle on the sound part but not the symbols, or to take way too long. In this, I'm running up against an issue I had with Teach Yourself Babylonian - learning the language is an interesting endeavor, but it just lacks the zip if you can't read them the way they were first written, especially since you can't really hope to find someone to talk to (the reason I'm not so bothered about not being able to write Mandarin).

Based on my experience so far, I would still say this is the best resource for learning Egyptian as more than just something to decode, but I think to fit what I've been doing anyway, I'm going to do each lesson over the course of two days, one to work through it and let it sink in and one to inscribe it in my notebook and see what has stuck.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 189 of 344
08 January 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Le Grec ancien - Lessons 36-42

This set took me weeks to finish. I don't think it was harder than the others, so much
as there has been such a massive accumulation of details that I couldn't keep it all
straight. I had to go "off-method" a few times.

I've read that Homeric Greek has 80 verb forms, but that the average student only has
to memorize around 50. Yeah ... only fifty. There are an equally insane amount
of noun forms. And then there is the aorist tense, and middle voice, and other things
we don't even have in the West. And so while I still like Assimil, I don't know that
the "assimilation" part was fully working for me. I needed outside help, and did a few
chapters in some standard grammar books. I also did un-Assimil like things like trying
to memorize declensions and grammar, and spending hours on the revision lessons rather
than 30"

I'm also having trouble with the French translations more and more. I don't know if
this is Assimil's fault, or if it's me not knowing enough French. Greek grammar does
not line up nice and neatly with Romance grammar at all, and so the literal
translations use completely tortured syntax.

A native French speaker might not have this problem.

My outside resources:

1. Pharr's Homeric Greek (1959, public domain, free download at Textkit). Teaches Greek
by walking students through the Iliad.

2. Teach Yourself Greek (1952) - I found it at a used bookstore.    

Assimil will remain my main method moving forward, but I foresee needing more breaks
where I act like a school boy and do drills and written exercises from a classical text
book.

The best part of le Grec ancien has been the recordings. Assimil uses pitch accents
(which a lot of courses don't teach), so the spoken Greek is almost like singing. I
can't sing, mind you, but it sounds great and I'm glad I'm learning this style of
pronunciation.

No one, ever, at any time, has said that ancient Greek was easy!

Edit: Here's an example from Lesson 43:

gumnazdoménous - s'entraînant (training), moyens-passif (middle voice)
oux - negation
hugíeian - santé (health)
heksein - future infinitive of avoir,    

The phrase gumnazdoménous oux hugíeian heksein shouldn't be too hard, but
Assimil's translation is l'entraînement est malsain, while the literal
translation below this is s'entraînant ne-pas santé être-sur-le-point-d'avoir.

Do those of you who are more fluent in French find single words like être-sur-le-
point-d'avoir
awkward? 'Cause I get all tangled up in it, and I'd love to know if
it's Assimil, or if it's me (and my mixed command of French). It took me thirty minutes
just to untangle the tenses in the six lines of Lesson 43, and I haven't even started
listening to the recordings.

Edited by kanewai on 09 January 2013 at 4:19pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 190 of 344
09 January 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
melkior79 wrote:

Today I met a colleague at work, he is a French language professor, and he saw where I was in the book and
started to talk to me in French. It was a surprise to him that I couldn't reply in French.

Shot in the dark here, but if he's from the old school of teaching and drilling forms and vocabulary first, and not
speaking and reading until you've already magically learned all of that, he may be assuming that anything in the
book that you're working on should be well within the previously attained level of actively drilled production that
you've done, which would, of course, be way off base.

In case it helps, I'm at active wave lesson 74, IIRC, and I'm now finally starting to realize that I can, slowly and with
a lot of backtracking, express all sorts of relatively simple ideas in French if I try. When I was just starting the active
phase, however, I couldn't say ANYTHING. So no promises, but hang in there and don't panic!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marishka
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 191 of 344
10 January 2013 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
shiningstars wrote:
Le vietnamien sans peine update

I finished all of the 63 lessons in this book, and honestly, I think it is the best
language course I've ever used. Obviously, I did not update periodically here... But, I
did so HERE on my blog.

I think that everybody reacts to different methods in different ways. Fortunately,
Assimil just happened to work extremely well for me. No, I don't remember every single
vocab word that showed up in the book, but I remember most of them.

I happened to meet a very nice Vietnamese friend online, and I have been talking to her
throughout my studies. I can understand most of everything that she says. I tweet in
Vietnamese too, and it is so easy for me to do because of this course.

I did one lesson everyday, and I only missed 2 days out of my whole time doing this
experiment. Sometimes it could be somewhat frustrating, but most of the time every
lesson was a joy. The only bad thing is, I wish there were more lessons!

The book explains things so, so well. And even if I didn't understand a certain grammar
point when it was first introduced, everything was continuously reviewed until I
understood and it was second nature. The audio is superb. I think Assimil spoiled me,
because now when I listen to audio from other courses, it is either of bad quality or
gummed up with annoying English.

I didn't know anything about Vietnamese or the culture before I started this, so I am
really grateful that I chose to participate in this experiment; I have grown to love
Vietnamese!

Congratulations on your success!

In your personal prediction before starting the course, you wrote that you hoped to reach an A2 or possibly B1 level by the end of the course. What level do you believe you actually reached?

What is the average amount of time you spent on each passive wave lesson?

When you got to the active wave, how much time did that add to your study sessions? Were you able to translate all of the lessons from French to Vietnamese "with ease"?

Kugel
United States
Joined 6349 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 192 of 344
10 January 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know how to get around the Norton antivirus software when downloading anki?

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version