bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 217 of 344
01 February 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
oruixo13 wrote:
And believe, I notice a lot of things. I am not listening blindly to the files, I read the pinyin, I recognize some characters. I have some experience speaking and I prefer the natural approach, i.e, listening and understanding a lot before start speaking. I won't force myself to speak, it'll just spring spontaneously.

If your goal is to only start speaking when you feel comfortable doing so, that's fine (although pushing yourself past your comfort zone is also a good idea), except that your initial statement was that you would NOT speak before you reached 800 hours. Those are two very different things. Sprachprofi has warned you, and I second her, that if this is your intent, you are doing yourself a disservice.

As for that approach being more "natural", I can't see what's natural about it -- if you go back a short while in the grand history of mankind, when writing wasn't even invented, humans learned each other's languages by way of interaction. I can't imagine how one would expose him or herself to 800 hours without attempting to communicate in that kind of environment. I also can't think of any other activity you'd be learning by watching for 800 hours before trying it out at all.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 218 of 344
01 February 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
To everyone working on the active phase, what kind of success ratio are you getting on your translations? On lessons 3 and 4, I've been getting about 10 errors (counting all words that aren't perfect) a lesson -- is that average? Do you review the initial lessons first or do you go straight to the translation? I've been doing the latter.

Also, are you finding mistakes in your respective Assimil books? I've been finding a few in the Romanian version I'm working from.

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 219 of 344
01 February 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
To everyone working on the active phase, what kind of success ratio are you getting on your
translations? On lessons 3 and 4, I've been getting about 10 errors (counting all words that aren't perfect) a lesson
-- is that average? Do you review the initial lessons first or do you go straight to the translation? I've been doing
the latter.

Also, are you finding mistakes in your respective Assimil books? I've been finding a few in the Romanian version I'm
working from.

I've been doing Assimil Italian (English base) basically in parallel with the "Assimil Challenge," btw. The book is
filled with many, many errors. It still works, but every now and then the errors confuse me and slow me down
trying to figure out what's going on.

For Active Phase, trying for word-for-word perfection (which is what I do) isn't always a great "diagnostic," because
the translations are not literal word-for-word translations, and often there are several possibilities. For example, in
New French With Ease, there is a lesson with various colloquial expressions, and they randomly switch back and
forth between using "vous" and "tu," and there's no way to guess which one they are using. There's certainly
nothing wrong with not getting those exactly the same, for example.

Of course, the Active Phase is not really supposed to be a diagnostic, but another phase of the learning process.
WIth French I would review before translating, because I still needed the pronunciation help more than anything.
I've focussed more on flawless recreation of the French original than on avoiding "cheating" by using the French
text. No idea if that's ideal or not, but I feel like I learn the correct forms better that way than trying to produce
them cold. So maybe I'm slowing down my activation but activating more accurately?

But I also found that the first few lessons seemed REALLY hard to recreate well. Now that I'm in the 80s, they seem
really EASY, even though the lessons are much longer and much more complicated.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JSBR_C
United States
Joined 4126 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 220 of 344
01 February 2013 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi. I'm late to the forum, only discovering this website recently, but since I recently started Assimil Chinese I thought I'd join. I started just after Christmas. This was a Christmas gift for me. I'm on lesson 50 today, just now starting the active wave.

It's going fine for me, but I did get a head start with Pimsleur. I spent the prior 4 months going through all 3 levels, which my library had.

Here's how I use Assimil. I wake up in the morning and go run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. For the first 15 I listen to my lesson for the day without having read it, trying to understand what I can. The other 15 minutes I spend repeatedly listening to a few prior lessons. When my run is done I go to the book. I shadow it a bit. Read the English, glancing at the Chinese. Read the Chinese while listening. Back and forth until I feel I have a pretty good feel for it. That's how I start my day.

Then I go to work and in the evening I have another study session. I start by going about 10 lessons back from the lesson I'm studying today. So today I'll go to lesson 40. I go to lesson 40 and listen and write out the Chinese. So I hit play and listen to a few words and write them out. I do that for the dialogue, then open the book and see how I did, fixing my errors. Then I just listen to the audio with the book in front of me for lessons 41 through 49, skipping the review lessons, trying to stick with the Chinese as much as possible while glancing over to the English as necessary. Finally I'm to my lesson for the day, lesson 50. I listen and read just as I've been doing for the earlier lessons. When the audio for lesson 50 is done I stop the audio and read the dialogue through and write out the new words. Sometimes I write phrases so I understand the words in context. I also read the notes and write out any new words/phrases found there.

When that's done I take my list of new words and phrases over to the computer and load all new words into Anki. I do an Anki review from the words I've loaded previously. That's a typical day.

Quite a bit more active than recommended by Assimil but it's not been a problem to study with this level of intensity so it's working out OK. Will it work? Not sure. I have never learned a second language. We'll see I guess.

My attitude though as I am just now starting the active wave is I'm just not going to worry about it even if I'm terrible. If I make tons of mistakes, fine. I'll go back and do it all again if I have to and I expect it will get better. I just keep telling myself that so many Chinese have learned English and if they can do that I can learn Chinese.

Edited by JSBR_C on 01 February 2013 at 10:32pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5158 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 221 of 344
02 February 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
To everyone working on the active phase, what kind of success ratio are you getting on your translations? On lessons 3 and 4, I've been getting about 10 errors (counting all words that aren't perfect) a lesson -- is that average? Do you review the initial lessons first or do you go straight to the translation? I've been doing the latter.

Also, are you finding mistakes in your respective Assimil books? I've been finding a few in the Romanian version I'm working from.

Il nuovo russo senza sforzo, Italian edition of Le Nouveau Russe sans peine

Active wave:
Week 1 (lessons 1-3): from a few typos to about 10 mistakes in each lesson.
Week 1 (lessons 4-7): steadily more and more mistakes each lesson (way more than thirty).
Week 2 (lessons 8-…): complete standstill. Frankly it’s easier to count how many words and expressions I get completely right rather than those I get wrong. Very depressing!

I don’t review the lessons before trying the translation, I go straight into the latter. But I’ve added a second passive wave halfway between the “prescribed” waves. In this second passive wave I take more time to write down the texts and solve the exercises in writing (but without trying too hard to remember words or constructions on my own: if in doubt I simply look at the solutions). Apart from this review, in spare moments I also listen to random previous lessons to try and memorize as much of the dialogues as possible.

And by the way, I’m in no position to notice whether there are mistakes in the text.

Edited by Emme on 02 February 2013 at 12:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 222 of 344
02 February 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I get a fair few errors in my translations back to Breton. Usually it's an insignificant
word I did not remember, occasionally it's a grammar error.

Edited by tarvos on 02 February 2013 at 12:17am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 223 of 344
02 February 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I'm starting to think reading the text of the early lessons first is a good idea.

I first wondered if the 50+ lessons were made so that they would offer a certain review and prepare you for
the translation of the associated lessons, but I see that that's not the case. In other words, lesson 5 isn't going
to be easier if I do lesson 53, 54 or 55: it's just testing if I remember lesson 5, which was a long time ago.

I tried both ways:
In lesson 5, I read the text once first, then made 3 mistakes.
In lesson 6, I didn't read it and made 17 mistakes out of 65.

Since these translations are still part of the learning process, I conclude that reading the dialogue once before
doing the translation is a good idea, and that's what I'll be doing from now on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 224 of 344
02 February 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
I've been taking a middle route to the active section: I read and listen, then try and
repeat it. For the exercises I try to do them orally, then I transcribe them, then I'll
test myself again. I definitely focus more on getting the exercises right than the
dialogues.

Though I've noticed the difficulty of the exercises varies widely in the Assimil I've
done. For Greek they're not even possible the first round - they introduce too many new
words and concepts. I have a better chance the active wave.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version