Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Learning L3 via L2?

Tags: L3 via L2
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Have you learnt a language using materials outside your native lang?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.65%]
22 [64.71%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4210 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 1 of 12
12 November 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
I guess this poll particularly applies to people like Netherlanders and Scandinavians. Or other countries/regions where the availability of language resources isn't so good compared to what is available in, say, larger languages like English or German, and especially when the language to be learnt is less commonly learnt. For example, a Dutchman who wants to learn Faroese may have to do it using materials in Danish or English.

I haven't yet done this, but I do want to use Assimil's "Norwegisch ohne Mühe" later on, because the Assimil method is held to be so good.

Edited by limey75 on 12 November 2012 at 12:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
12 November 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
You haven't by any chance had a look at these threads?
Learning a 3rd language via a 2nd language
Using your 2nd language to learn your 3rd
Learn a language through another language

As I wrote in one of the threads, I'm using English to study all of my foreign languages, as well as just about anything else I find interesting - it would be stupid to ignore English material. Some languages aren't accessible at all in Swedish (for instance, I have yet to see a book for Cantonese or any of the Celtic languages, and even if such material for some reason has escaped me, I stand a better chance to get something useful written in English).

I think it's quite safe to assume that a lot of learners in the world have to use resources in a language outside their native tongue, unless they speak English, French, German or any of the other major languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 12
12 November 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I haven't learned a foreign language using material in an intermediary language that is foreign to me, but I have studied a foreign language using such foreign material at least twice in the last year or so. I dabbled in Inari Saami last summer by completing a primer meant for Finnish schoolchildren while I studied Northern Saami last fall and winter using the first two volumes of the Finnish edition of the series "Davvin".

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4716 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 4 of 12
12 November 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Same as Chung I wouldn't say I have learnt an L3 through an L2 yet, but I have studied foreign languages using foreign material (e.g. Hindi, Bengali at university with a wild mix of materials in English, German (L1) and French - I somewhere also have an Bengali textbook in Hindi...). In fact I study two of my current target languages by using L2 material (Armenian through French and Welsh through English).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 12
12 November 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I have already learnt two foreign languages to high level and they have opened me a lot
more options, when it comes to language studies. I would be a fool not to use them.

Sure, for large languages, there is quite a lot of Czech based sources but for the
smaller ones, it is not the case (there is only one usable Swedish textbook with audio
for example). And, there is nothing like Assimil, most of whose courses are in French. I
just look at all the options and choose the best suiting for my purpose without any
regard for the base language.

For more info on how do people use L2 materials and deal with the small inconveniences
coming with that, Jeff's links are a really great start.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 12
12 November 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Currently, I am picking learning materials as it suits me - some of them in my native language, some of them in English. Should I find some of them in German, I will use them and not think about it twice.

But I cannot say I am studying L3 through L2 exclusively. Currently, I am studying French, most of the materials I am using are in English and I find it of an advantage (it is easier to find parallels in the vocabulary and grammar here then starting from Czech), but I have and use my old textbooks in Czech as well.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 12
12 November 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I leaped at the chance to study Egyptian using French resources. It turned out to be surprisingly easy (Cavesa is right when he refers to "small inconveniences"). Sometimes I had to look up an obscure French word, but it certainly reduced the temptation to use translation to and from English as a crutch.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 12
12 November 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
I am studying Breton through French, and have material for Hebrew in French and English.

I also studied Swedish and Russian through English mostly (although my wordlists will
frequently refer to Dutch or German equivalents because they are closer).

In my private lessons with a Swedish tutor, she is Russian and has made me translate
Russian sentences to Swedish before.

I experience no trouble using French Assimil, it's good in fact because the translations
from Breton to French (I also translate to French as my base language) force me to think
about the French grammar and allow me to insist on getting French grammatical details
right at the same time.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version