Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 64
02 January 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
fezmond wrote:
I don't think I'm ready for the future tenses yet, still getting used to the present and have barely seen much of the past. I think this whole learning French business is going to be a long and hard (but enjoyable) affair.

The French future tenses are actually pretty easy for English speakers. Basically, there's two of them:

Quote:
futur proche : Je vais acheter les gants. I am going to buy the gloves.
futur simple : Je achèterai les gants. I will buy the gloves.

For now, you can just use the futur proche. To form it, use the present tense of aller and tack on an infinitive. This is pretty much just like English.

The futur simple, oddly enough, is the more complicated of the two. But it's still pretty simple. For this one, you'll need to find the "future stem", which is normally just the infinitive minus any final "-e". (Sometimes the future stem is different. For example, aller uses ir- as the stem, and acheter uses achèter-. But these exceptions tend to be really common, so you can learn them mostly by osmosis if you're so inclined.) Then you need to add an ending. And just to make your life easier, there's an easy way to remember the futur simple endings. Just take the present tense of the verb avoir and strip off "av-" wherever it appears:

Quote:
-ai av-ons
-as av-ez
-a -ont

So this gives us:

Quote:
j'achèter- + -ai -> j'achèterai

I know this all sounds a little complicated now, but don't worry, it won't take you very long when you get around to it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 34 of 64
02 January 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

I know this all sounds a little complicated now, but don't worry, it won't take you very long when you get around to
it.

Nice. Are you writing for Assimil now? The resemblance is uncanny!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 64
02 January 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Nice. Are you writing for Assimil now? The resemblance is uncanny!

Well, I learned French from Assimil New French with Ease about 5 years ago, so maybe something stuck after all that time. :-)

In general, French verbs are easier than they look, and there's lots of little tricks you can use. For example:

Quote:
imperfect -> imperfect stem + imperfect endings
conditional -> future stem + imperfect endings
subjunctive -> third-person plural of the present + subjunctive endings (with a very few irregular stems)

In general, once you learn a verb's past participle, its future stem, and its imperfect stem, everything else is easy. And those stems tend be regular except for a few dozen really common verbs, so you can basically just learn the rule and pick up the exceptions as you go. Once you get the present tense down, the other tenses get a lot easier.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 36 of 64
02 January 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I learned once from a teacher that the future and conditional were once like the passé
composé until the auxilary verbs migrated from before the verb to be hooked on to the end
of the verb. That was pretty mind-blowing for a lot of us.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 37 of 64
03 January 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I learned once from a teacher that the future and conditional were once like the passé
composé until the auxilary verbs migrated from before the verb to be hooked on to the end
of the verb. That was pretty mind-blowing for a lot of us.

I'm sure I remember Michel Thomas saying something similar as well, about how the future started by using avoir as an auxiliary verb, which is why the future endings correspond to the present-tense forms of avoir. It's an interesting perspective. All that said though, I'm fairly sure the OP just made a statement about not feeling ready for the future tense yet, not a request for explanations of it, and understandably so as it's not really as important as most of the other verb forms for spoken French - even when talking about a future event, the present or near-future is used the vast majority of the time, apart from in some specific grammatical structures.

Edited by garyb on 03 January 2013 at 11:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4715 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 38 of 64
14 January 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Wow, it's been a long time since I updated this log. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

About to start lesson 36 of Assmil NFWE. I had a look over some earlier lessons, mostly the late teens and realised how much I've simply forgotten or don't fully understand. However, some of the later lessons went well. Maybe it's all due to them being fresh in the mind. One thing I've really neglected lately has been listening and trying to shadow the lesson audio. Less free time and being stuck on buses makes me feel strange when I'm speaking to myself.

I've started French Without Toil too. Did the first week and it was pretty easy, I've heard the grammar complexity increases at a more rapid rate than NFWE.

Left pimsleur for a while and hit the Michel Thomas, nearly finished the course and it's proven to be pretty useful for basic grammar.

I have Le Lotus Bleu but have yet to really dig into it, I fear too much time will be spent poking around in a dictionary and working out what's going on rather than enjoying the book. Maybe for another day.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4471 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 39 of 64
14 January 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
The plot of Le Lotus Bleu is pretty sophisticated; when I read it as a kid I probably didn't understand everything that was going on. Other Tintin books are simpler.

I've only read a Smurfs book so far, and the plots were really simple, you won't have any problem following them. It didn't have as many new words as a Tintin book, but it still had quite a bunch. For grown-ups they don't seem as enjoyable as Tintin, but I intend to read still some more Smurfs books.

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4715 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 40 of 64
15 January 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I saw tastyonions made a log of his first two weeks of the TAC, I think it's a good
idea so here goes:

Assimil NFWE: lessons 29 - 38
Assimil FWT: lessons 1 - 7
I write all the lessons out by hand, seems to stick in my head more, could be a bad
idea.

Pimsleur II - lessons 3 - 6
Linguaphone All Talk - units 1 & 2
Michel Thomas CDs 4-7 (beginner)
French In Action - Units 2/3 of the workbook and textbook

Countless RFI Facile but I'm not usually listening too intently, nice when I understand
new words though. Also got Anki back on track last night.

Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be more productive and I hope to start writing and
possibly speaking in French too. Prepositions are still kicking my behind though.

I changed my web browser to French today, will see how that works.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version