jtmc18
Diglot
United States
Joined 7056 days ago

119 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 21
17 November 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
So here I am in Guatemala... I´ve come to refresh my Spanish after a summer of mostly passive practice (books, telenovelas, etc.). I enrolled in one-on-one classes and, for the most part, there isn´t a whole lot of new material to learn. In fact, the teachers have told me I´m the most proficient gringo they´ve had... I guess a total of 35 weeks of one-on-one classes over the years plus an extended stay in Mexico has paid off. I still make mistakes, and it drives me crazy, but I can hold a conversation about almost anything, read novels without dictionaries and understand most anything, including a good deal of slang. I would call myself proficient EXCEPT...

I can´t order a taco. I mean, it´s easier to discuss politics than it is for me to go into a restaurant and order something. Sounds ridiculous, right? OK, so maybe it´s an exaggeration but I feel like my Spanish fails me at the most crucial moments. I know what to say but often it just doesn´t come out right. My spontaneous speech is weak, whereas two hours into a conversation I´m fairly decent.

I started learning Spanish through classes and never used any program like Pimsleur or Assimil for the basics. What do you think? Would it be a good investment of time to use these programs, even knowing the language to a high degree, just to improve my spontaneous basic proficiency? I thought about memorizing the Assimil dialogues and practicing again and again to eliminate certain recurrent mistakes in my speech... and I thought that maybe Pimsleur would ingrain certain phrases that were not part of my Spanish I class eight years ago. Has anyone ever tried these techniques as an advanced student? The idea, of course, isn´t to learn but rather to reinforce. Your thoughts are appreciated...
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 21
17 November 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
jtmc18 wrote:
So here I am in Guatemala...

I can´t order a taco. I mean, it´s easier to discuss politics than it is for me to go
into a restaurant and order something.
Would it be a good investment of time to use these programs, even knowing the language
to a high degree, just to improve my spontaneous basic proficiency?

In my opinion, going through Pimsleur or Assimil will be a waste of time. The best
thing you can do is go out and start ordering tacos.

You're in Guatemala, after all. There's no better way than to get direct exposure in
the areas you're weak.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 21
17 November 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
My proficiency goes way down when talking to service employees though I think it's from
residual anxiety I had from when I was a kid having to order things. I'm still awful with
phone conversations as well, partially due to anxiety and partially due to distortion if
speaking on a cell phone. If the problem is linguistic, as in you become lost in the
transaction, then simply working on those set phrases should do the trick. It seems you
already have the conversational basics down, which Pimsleur and Assimil would focus on,
it seems what you need is to just go through a phrase book.   

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 21
17 November 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I recommend Destinos. It's interesting enough even if you understand everything, and there are tons of useful phrases/expressions in perfectly natural and interesting contexts.

http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

This site also has videos of real life episodes: http://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/collection/lm_spanish.html

Quote:
My spontaneous speech is weak, whereas two hours into a conversation I´m fairly decent.

Especially as you're now in Guatemala, make sure to think in Spanish in between those. When you're back in the US it might be more practical to just think in Spanish when you know in advance that you'll get to speak it.

You can read, but DO you read? and do you watch TV?

I've used Assimil Finnish successfully at a slightly lower level. Just do some shadowing (provided you understand the content). I don't recommend Pimsleur at your level, it has too much English and it's too basic.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5241 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 21
17 November 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
The classic problem here is that you have not learned real conversational Spanish. This happens all the time. People can talk about all sorts of sophisticated topics but cannot talk over the phone or interact with a waiter in a restaurant.

What's the solution? Learn spontaneous speech. I know it sounds simple, but it is. Learn to chitchat in Spanish. Your one-on-one teachers should be able to help you with that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 21
17 November 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
This sort of problem is already a result of taking too many classes.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 21
17 November 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I had very similar problem years ago, with my German. My problem was not the language itself or lack of skills - using formal register and literal language you learn in classes may sound funny, but gets things done - but my self-consciousness. I was horrified to make errors, spent too much time polishing the sentence that this put any conversation on hold.

The only solution was to put pressure on myself and to start to speak with "real" people. I mean people in shops, using the TL in office when possible etc., any people outside the controlled classroom setting. Allow yourself to sound funny and make mistakes for short time. With a little practice, this awful phase will be over very quickly.

Use some time in the evenings to review the conversations - look where you had problems and correct yourself. It will help you to trust in your own abilities...

Edited by Majka on 17 November 2012 at 8:01pm

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4361 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 21
17 November 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I definitely wouldn't recommend Pimsleur; I just went through its 4th level after my
library stocked it. I knew I wouldn't learn anything from it, but I figured it couldn't
hurt and might help to improve my spoken fluidity and automaticity. But after having
done it I feel that it was a complete waste of time, and I think it might have actually
reduced the speed of my speech.

I also wouldn't recommend Assimil unless you specifically want to gain greater
familiarity with Peninsular Spanish. I have been listening to the recordings for this
reason; the dialogues are very distinctively and strongly Peninsular, not at all
"neutral" or "international."

What I would recommend (in terms of a program, the advice you got to simply get out
there and order tacos, have small talk, etc. is primary) are the audio files for FSI
Basic Spanish:

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Spanish%20B asic

These are native-speed dialogues and speaking drills, and are more intensive and
effective than anything I've yet come across for building or perfecting fluidity and
automaticity. They're old (early 60's) but the language they use is FAR closer to what
you will hear in the US or in Latin America than what's on the most recent Assimil.

Edited by Gala on 17 November 2012 at 7:09pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version