Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5014 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 22
19 November 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I'm still fighting with my french and thought about buying some comics in french. So any
recommendations on a comic that has several volumes and can be interesting for adults
(detective, horror, sci-fi etc) but not be of the xxx-kind?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 22
19 November 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Sure! I think reading BDs is a great idea. There's a ton of really good stuff out there, and sometimes the pictures will help you avoid a trip to the dictionary. :-)

Persepolis: The story of young girl growing up in Iran and moving to the US. This is one of my all-time favorite BDs, for the insight it gives into the Iranian revolution and for the difficulties of being stuck between cultures. There's a lot of words per page, including tons of natural, conversational French. (Four volumes, available in as a single book.)

Immigrants: A series of short stories about immigrants to France. This may be getting harder to find, but it's well-written and the art is beautiful. (One volume.)

Siegfried: I thought I would be annoyed by the changes this story makes to the Siegfried legend, but no, I wound up enjoying it greatly. The art is terrific. There's less text in these three volumes than in many BDs, but there's a lot of good vocabulary. (Three volumes.)

Les Mondes d'Aldébaran: This is a huge, sprawling science-fiction series, of which I've only read a few of the later books. My favorite part is all the strange alien wildlife, which is incredibly varied and delightfully weird. There's some nudity and adult subjects in these books—if you made them into a movie, they'd probably be R rated with an occasional stern note from the MPAA. The writing is perfectly acceptable, but a bit wooden in places. (Five or six series of three to five volumes each.)

5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 22
19 November 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Sure! I think reading BDs is a great idea. There's a ton of really good stuff out there, and sometimes the pictures will help you avoid a trip to the dictionary. :-)

Persepolis: The story of young girl growing up in Iran and moving to the US. This is one of my all-time favorite BDs, for the insight it gives into the Iranian revolution and for the difficulties of being stuck between cultures. There's a lot of words per page, including tons of natural, conversational French. (Four volumes, available in as a single book.)...

I wholeheartedly agree! I found Persepolis in Portuguese translation and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks to emk. Although, the main character, Marjane didn't move to the US, she moved to Austria, and France- where the author, Marjane Satrapi, lives today.

Maus- Un survivant raconte by Art Spiegelman: This is one of the most powerful pieces of writing I have ever read. The story tells the tale of the author's father's (Vladek Spiegelman) ordeal in World War II Poland and as a prisoner in Auschwitz. Spiegelman won the Pulitzer Prize for Maus and it is easy to see why. It was originally written in English and has been translated into French. Good, natural, conversational language is found throughout. I read the Portuguese translation. My advice is not to read it just before going to sleep.

Edited by iguanamon on 19 November 2012 at 10:50pm

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4813 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 22
20 November 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Alix - by Jacques Martin
Blake et Mortimer
Thorgal
XIII (13)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 22
20 November 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Although, the main character, Marjane
didn't move to the US, she moved to Austria, and France-
where the author, Marjane Satrapi, lives today.

Thank you for the correction! My brain sends messages but my
fingers type what they want.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5005 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 22
20 November 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
If you're ever visiting Brussels, leave some time (and a little money) to visit Le Centre Belge de la Bande
Dessinée/ Belgisch Stripcentrum/ The Belgian Comic Strip Centre.

When I was there, I didn't have either the time or the French-language skills to actually use
their library, but it looks like it might
be a treasure trove for anyone wishing to browse through French or Dutch graphic books.* You can't borrow
material from the library, but - on the plus side - neither can anyone else, so their entire collection should be
there for you to browse through, consult, and read.

As a bonus, it's in a lovely Art Nouveau building designed (in 1906) by Victor Horta.

* Updated to add from the website: "In the reading room [which seems to be different from the library] a
selection of albums in over 15 European languages can be read."   

Edited by songlines on 20 November 2012 at 5:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 22
20 November 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Le Prince de la Nuit - vampires
Le Troisieme Testament - a bit like the Da Vinci's Code.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5014 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English

Message 8 of 22
20 November 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the suggestions... I will go through them and see what seems most
interesting. An other question is what is a collection called in french? Say I want to
buy a full volume of a comic... Is there a specific name for such a "book"?

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version