Korea, South
youngbinlee.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 13
01 December 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I've watched the very first Chinese movie to learn the language yesterday. Of course,
I've watched several Chinese movies before, but I didn't have any educational purpose
back then, so they cannot be counted, I guess.

The movie is called '不能说的秘密' also known as 'Secret'. For me, it also was a very
first exposure to real spoken Chinese, and it was ruthless. I've watched some kids
stuff, and thought I was well-prepared for real Chinese. I didn't expect to understand
everything, of course. But I thought I might be able to get short phrases when I hear
them. Very big mistake. Even when they just say 谢谢 or something pretty simple, it
just didn't sound like it.

It doesn't mean that I am disappointed and frustrated. I know I'm not just gotten there
yet. It takes time and effort, and it's a pleasant challenge, as we all think it is.

*Studied*

EBS Radio 60min
Watched 不能说的秘密 120min
Pocoyo 30min

*Word of the day*
差不多[chàbuduō] very similar (not that different)
1 person has voted this message useful

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5025 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 10 of 13
25 February 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I'm surprised that it's been already almost 3 months since I left my log here. Shame on
me. :-( But, I didn't quit for sure! I have been slowly learning through the book (301
phrases part 1, which I finished yesterday. Yay!) and EBS lessons that I mentioned
earlier. One another recent addition as a regular resource is iKnow.

Some of you may be familar with this web site, epecially if you are a Japanese learner.
I came across this site several years ago when it still was a free service. I used it
when I started learning Japanese, and it helped a lot. Starting from core2000, I felt
my vocabulrary growing faster than ever with lots of words that didn't seem essential
at first. (For example, something like 政府 = government. Who would learn this kind of
word at their beginner level? That's what I thought.)

With my memorable previous experience, I decided to go back to the site. I know many of
you would argue that I can get the same list from Anki. I don't know why. But it just
doesn't work for me. :( (I use Anki mainly to stack up words that I run into everywhere
such as internet or books and don't understand.) 500yen (about 5USD) per month isn't
really bad. :D

It's been several days now and I feel I already learned a LOT. I spend about 1 and half
hours on average with iKnow android application. Right now, I'm working on Core1000
list, and I aim at completing the list as soon as I can and starting to read something
short and easy. Quick and intensive acquisition of vocabulary at the beginning always
helped me start reading natural material such as news and stories. Once I start
reading, it also helps me not to forget those I would have forgotten otherwise.

Edited by Youngbin on 25 February 2013 at 3:55am

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5025 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 11 of 13
26 February 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Now as a little late member of 'TAC2013 Asian 鶴 team', I'm super motivated more than
ever!! XD At the beginning of this year, I actually didn't plan particulary to study
Japanese. But being a part of TAC2013, I feel like I need to make goals for
improvement. Yay!

English : This is not really a part of TAC2013. However, still it is my first foreign
language, and I always have a lot to improve. I think reading and writing threads at
HTLAL itself will help me improve. Especially writing, which is one of my weakest
skills. I hope to improve my writing skill in English by writing regular logs,
participating in the team challenges and communicating with team members.

Mandarin Chinese : My ultimate goal of this year is to become somewhat conversational.
Last week, I got to meet a Chinese girl so I meant to ask her what her name was.
Unbelievably, I couldn't utter the simple sentence, '你叫什么名字?'. It's like the very
first sentence you would learn if you start learning Chinese. I'm in SHOCK. Looking at
the bright side, that was exactly what I needed to get motivated again.

*Plan
- EBS Elementary Chinese Listening 40-50min per day (when commuting)
- Chinese Core1000 at least 1 hour per day
- 301 Phrases part2 to finish by April
- One Lang-8 per week
- One recording per week (reading or speaking)

Japanese : I've ditched Japanese-studying for quite some time. It's time to get back to
the game! :) During 2013, I'd like to build up kanji vocaburary so I can read native
materials. I had bought quite a few novels and comics at Book Off (Japanese second-hand
book store), but never got around to acutally read those. I flipped a couple of pages
and put them back on the shelves. I hope I could finish reading at least 2 novels. (The
first one would be 'キッチン' by Yosimoto Banana. :D

*Plan
- Japanese Core2000 1 session per day
- Novel 10 pages per week

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
26 February 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Hey Youngbin, welcome to the team! Looking forward to watching you progress over the year!

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5025 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 13 of 13
04 March 2013 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Over the past about 10 days, I've been focuing on core1000 vocabulary at iknow.jp. My
weekly target is currently 7hours per week which turned out to be not an easy task at
all considering my full-time job. But I managed to spend over 7 hours on the core1000
review last week. Yay! :D

I feel like I'm slowly gaining more and more confidence along with the exposure to all
the new vocabulary and corresponding example sentences. I'm not particularly spending
time on grammar. Still I've naturally started noticing some of grammar points such as
着 as a progressive term.

I'd really like to practice reading natural resource in an early stage, and I have
found this web site providing easy contemporary stories. I'm not a big fan of fairy
tales. And I don't want to learn some 'kids language'. Sometimes it's not very easy to
remember and not practical.

http://justlearnchinese.com/category/chinese-short-stories/

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version