Korea, South
youngbinlee.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 13
28 November 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
2 years ago, I bought a book for learning Chinese. I self-studied its pronunciation,
tones, and some basic expressions, and I got bored. I also got distracted by the other
tasks called life.

Chinese has been always a big dream. It may sound non-sense, but, ever since I was a
little kid, I have been dreaming to be able to speak Korean, Japanese and Chinese to
complete the triangle! It's not that these 3 countries are geographically forming a
triangle, though. You know what I mean. ;)

The only reason that I have been waiting this far is the fact that the language, hanzi
to be precise, is quite intimidating. Even if I had learned some Chinese characters at
school, it didn't help much.

After a long vacation of 2 years, I needed something to work on and decided to start
learning Chinese again.

Currently, my main resource is "Conversational Chinese 301" and "EBS Elementary
Chinese". The first one seems to be one of the best selling books to learn Chinese in
Korea. EBS is a Korean radio channel dedicated to education, mostly learning foreign
languages. They provide 2 different shows for Chinese beginners and intermediates. I
found this show very useful because it provides tons of expressions that can be used in
everyday conversation. I use my commuting time to listen to one or two episodes and
get used to a variety of casual phrases.

I also add vocabularies and expressions to Anki so I can review on a regular basis on
my iphone and ipad, which had been a rather hard task for me when I was studying other
languages. I hope I could change that this time.

One thing that I rarely do in general but did this time was to sign up for an offline
class. Even if I'm pretty much comfortable with my pronunciation and tones, the fact
that a majority of people who speak Chinese don't recommend self-studying at least at
the beginning kept bothering me. So I took a chance to get corrected by native
teachers. It turned out that teachers I met seemed to be suprised that they don't have
much to correct me.

I always study with audios natives record and try as hard as I could to sound like
them. That always pays off. Now I don't have a reason to go back to that class. XD I'm
considering to take a 1:1 class on Skype from December, though. It's quite cheap and I
think it would be a good practice to speak. (I could find just friends through Skype or
QQ, but usually that doesn't go well when it comes to 'learning' and 'progressing'.)

I'm going to keep this journal as well to improve my writing skill in English, at least
once or twice a week! Let's how that goes too.

Acutally I'm writing Chinese learning log on my blog in Korean. If you study Korean and
Chinese, you might find it interesting. (http://youngbinlee.com :D)

Edited by Youngbin on 26 February 2013 at 1:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5345 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 2 of 13
28 November 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Youngbin wrote:
http://youngbinlee.com

FYI: This website doesn't seem to load (at least for me).

I don't study Chinese myself but have been working on Korean for a bit over 3 years now and just started on Japanese a few months ago, so I have been working with Chinese characters quite a bit. I'm mostly learning Chinese characters as 한자 for now, since I had already started learning them that way long before deciding to start on Japanese.

Good luck with your language studies. 화이팅!
1 person has voted this message useful

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 3 of 13
28 November 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for taking the time to visit, or at least try to, my blog. I don't know what
the problem is. It loads just fine when I open it. Let me check with the hosting service!
한국어 모르는거 있으시면 물어보셔도 되요 ^0^*

Edited by Youngbin on 28 November 2012 at 12:30pm

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 4 of 13
29 November 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
2012-11-28

I've signed up for the Half Super Challenge with the goal of 100 films. Come to think
of it, it's a quite bold ambition. It's been just about a month that I've started
learning Chinese sincerely. I spent about an hour to search good videos I can watch and
enjoy even without understanding much.

At first, I went for Korean dramas dubbed in Chinese. I found some of them, but they
were quite old and not really my cup of tea. This might be a lame excuse, but the video
quality severely let me down. I need 내이름은 김삼순, 커피프린스, or 파스타 dubbed in Chinese
with HD quality! Any idea?

After failing to find good Korean dramas, next choice was, of course, Youtube. I
enjoyed watching Pocoyo in Spanish when I was into the language. Pocoyo, 优优 in
Chinese, is also dubbed in Chinese with subtitles! Yay! I watched a few episodes, and I
really loved it. I don't quite understand all of them, but I can get a pretty good idea
of what is going on. That would be enough for now. One episode of Pocoyo is only 7
minutes, so I would need to add up all the episodes I watch for the registration.

*Studied*

EBS Radio 40min
Skritter 40min

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4678 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 5 of 13
29 November 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
안녕하세요 영빈 씨 ^^ Good luck with studying Chinese! I'll be following your log. I'm currently studying Korean and am planning to start Chinese next year. I sometimes watch dramas in Chinese and sometimes I'm hearing connections, so I hope knowing Korean will make learning Chinese a little easier.

Why don't you try some Taiwanese or Chinese dramas, maybe with subtitles at the beginning? There are quite some nice Taiwanese ones and I also thought some historical dramas from Mainland China were quite nice, especially Butterfly Lovers (unfortunately I can't find subs for most of the episodes).

I also found some nice beginners Chinese lessons in Korean:
seemile's 중국어 학습 Depending on your level it might be useful. Is "EBS Elementary
Chinese" accessible on the net? I'd like to check it out of possible. I really like the idea of studying Mandarin through Korean, but I don't know enough resources.

By the way, I couldn't access your blog either.

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 6 of 13
29 November 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I think Taiwanese or Chinese dramas would be nice as long as I actually like them. :)
I've never tried before. I should give it a try.

EBS 초급 중국어 web site
The EBS site requires a sign-up to listen to the stream, but you can listen to it
here (It doesn't seem to be working
on Chrome, though. You might need to switch to IE.) You can only listen to the live
stream for free. You'll see the time table right below the radio player on the site.

I contacted my hosting service about the access problem. I hope they could fix it soon.

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 7 of 13
29 November 2012 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I found out that hosting service company thought that no one living abroad, outside of
South Korea, will ever want to read my blog, so they placed it in a domestic-only server.
Now, or probably in a few hours, it will be open for worldwide viewers, if anyone is
interested.... :)

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5041 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes

Message 8 of 13
30 November 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
2012-11-29

For the Half Super Challenge, I've started watching Pocoyo, 7-minute-long 3D animation
for kids, dubbed in Chinese. I tried the same thing when I dabbled Chinese 2 years ago,
but it never came easy. This time, strangely, I'm getting the idea of each episode more
easily. Other resources I put into my brain must be working along.

While I'm watching it, I look up words on the 네이버 중국어
사전
and save those in my word list. Not every word I don't know, that would
prevent me from watching through. Just a few words that I just feel like. Naver
provides a service that I can print my word list in various forms. I'm not really a big
fan of bulky paper flashcards, but I'm thinking to give it a shot and try to skim
through quickly when I have time.

If I really want to study, I think I could make scripts for those videos that I
watched. Not that I would dictate them. They have scripts in the videos - Thank, God!.
I'd just copy what's in the video, dissect words and phrases. That could be a good
studying material for other Chinese learners out there too if I post them on my blog.
Yay. Another great blog posting idea!

*Studied*

EBS Radio 30min
Pocoyo 30min

*Word of the day*

过生日 [guòshēngri] To have a birthday party.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version