Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
902 messages over 113 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 43 ... 112 113 Next >>
Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 337 of 902
12 December 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
*jäŋe /*ledús:
I’ve added Woodsei & Theodisce and a link to the team log.

Expugnator:
I took you off the Scandinavian team in the last round of updates. If you want back on, let me know. There’s no rush. There is plenty of room there. I know you want to have a Georgian team, but so far you are the only one who’s signed up. If you want teammates, I think you might have to go round some up.

Serpent:
I’ve given you wings and a halo.

Brun_Ugle (me):
I moved myself from Romance to Slavic/Romance.

The Real CZ:
I’ve moved you from German to Japanese. BTW, are there a lot of fake CZ’s out there that we should be watching out for?

The Japanese Team is now up to 13 members. I think we still have some room, but with a lot of time left until the end of sign-ups we might want to do like the Russian team and choose a cut-off point and make a second team for anyone wishing to join after that. There is also an Asian team which still has plenty of room. Yuhakko has decided to be on both because of the lack of Japanese learners there, but I believe there others on our team who are studying more than one Asian language. So there is the possibility for those people to move over to the Asian team. Then the Asian team would have more Japanese learners and we would have more space. I’m not kicking anyone off though. It’s just a suggestion. You can be on either team or both if you wish.

And now a request: I’ve found several new members who’ve joined up via the team threads rather than here. When people join there, can you let me know, either on this thread or by sending a PM? I’d like to keep a complete roster of teams and their members on the first page here. Thank you :-)

Post #2 is updated. Let me know if there are mistakes or if I forgot someone.

We are now up to 80 TACers and several teams have over 15 members! It's a far cry from the first time I tried TAC when most teams only had 4-5 people on them.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 12 December 2012 at 7:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 338 of 902
12 December 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
For anyone interested in Celtic languages or who would like to be a part of our team next year, we now have the TAC's first ever Celtic Team log up and running. All adventurers, ancient mariners, and seafaring buccaneers most welcome!

Edited by Teango on 12 December 2012 at 11:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 339 of 902
12 December 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
By the way: the name MIR came about in a Skype session where I suggested it (not to toot
my own horn; I was asked to make this intro) but we wanted something typically Russian.
We had great fun with the space metaphor last time, so we went with the former ISS space
station Mir - which also means world or peace in Russian, a very nice bonus connotation
to have. It's also something typical of Russia.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 340 of 902
12 December 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 

TAC 2013 Croatian Team log is set up.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 341 of 902
12 December 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:
Woodsei wrote:

On another note, if someone could explain the duties of a Godfather, or mother, I would
definitely consider offering that kind of help for Arabic, since most of everyone here
speaks English anyway. I speak both.

I'm learning Egyptian Arabic so it would be wonderful if you could be the godmother for
the Middle Eastern team :) Below is the original proposal:

mrwarper wrote:
I'd like to propose one new thing: liaison / exchange / 'supervisor'
members for TAC Teams.

As we all know here, it can be extremely beneficial to have the help of native or
otherwise knowledgeable speakers of the languages we study. Why not share that as well,
especially when it shjould be all the more beneficial for those who intend to boost
their studies by enrolling in the TACs, and we have plenty of those people right here
at HTLAL?

I'd propose that natives or sufficiently advanced speakers who are not actively
studying their target languages anymore can enroll in TAC teams to help out the
studying members, or otherwise add to the fun, drift their teams more towards TL and
away from English-only communication, etc. :)

We've had some real Russian speakers in Team Sputnik (Russian Team for TAC '12) Skype
sessions and God saw it was good. I think it would be even better if this becomes more
the rule than it is the exception, just not constrained to Skype (which most teams
don't seem to do anyway) but generalized to any team activities.

To preach by the example, I offer myself as such liaison member for any Spanish Team
that may be formed or teams that have Spanish as one of their TLs. If this is approved
/ considered a good idea, I'll update my post with links to such teams when it happens.

I'd be happy to fill the post and offer my help, anytime! Count me in, then, as
godmother of the Middle Eastern team :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 342 of 902
12 December 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
@Teango: I like the Russian name!

@Brun_Ugle: I was about to update my status on 3 teams, and I saw you already did that.
Thank you very much!

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5447 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 343 of 902
12 December 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
*jäŋe /*ledús:
The Real CZ:
I’ve moved you from German to Japanese. BTW, are there a lot of fake CZ’s out there that we should be watching out for?

Thank you. And no, there aren't any fake CZ's out there, unless I make that account myself. My initials are CZ and some of my friends called me by that, but CZ is too short for a username, so I went the unimaginative route and claimed myself as the real one lol.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 344 of 902
12 December 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Brun_Ugle, what if I decide to do Russian at the Russian team, Norwegian at the Scandinavian team and Georgian on my own (just renaming my log that is daily updated)?

Is there also the possibility that just the other Georgian learner and I set up a Georgian duo of our own? We've been studying all year long with a lot of interest and we will continue in the year 2013.

I'm convinced of not making Chinese a TAC language. I already have a Chinese log at another forum and I need to learn a lot on my own before I can share anything useful, even doubts. You know, the pupil who still knows so little that he isn't likely to come up with any doubts or questions.

This discussion contains 902 messages over 113 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version