Triglot
Germany
Joined 4677 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 73 of 457
26 December 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
iawia, I think it would be great to have you as part of our team. Right now we're already 15 participants, so Brun Ugle, the organizer of this TAC, has set up a new Asian team for everyone registering now. On January 1st we'll see if that new team has enough members (at least 5 I think) - if it doesn't everyone can join our team. At the moment it looks like everyone will be in our team, but I'd still ask you to register in the official thread. You'll be put down for the second team until it's decided whether everyone can join us or whether you'll have your own team. Sorry to make you wait!
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4677 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 74 of 457
29 December 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link suggestions, everyone! I'll add them to the list.

Study Logs

I've added everyone's logs to the front page. We're only missing three logs now.

Team Name Poll

For everyone who hasn't voted yet, you have one day left: Please Vote Here
I'll make the name official on December 31. At the moment it looks like we'll keep the crane, but 6 people haven't voted yet, so nothing's decided yet.
The members of Asian Team #2 are also invited to vote, because it looks like they'll join us.

New Members?

It looks like there won't be enough people for a second Asian team, so the following people will probably join our team on January 1:
maurelio1234 (Mandarin), Crush (Mandarin), iawia (Japanese, Thai, Cantonese), picnick (Korean, Mandarin)

Edited by druckfehler on 29 December 2012 at 5:04pm

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6007 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 75 of 457
30 December 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I started my log. Here it is:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34764&PN=1

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4939 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 76 of 457
30 December 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody! Druckfehler kindly invited me to join the Asian team seeing me looking around for fellow South East
Asian language learners (without success). So better a TAC 2013 with the big cousins from the North than no TAC
at all :)

This is my first TAC, and I'm looking forward to being on a team with you!

I'll be learning Thai in 2013. I've been learning Thai for about 3 and a half years now, and I'm tremendously
enjoying it. I started out using a natural approach (adapted from ALG [automatic language growth]) with a very long
silent phase (22 months), no translation and no explicit grammar study. After those roughly two initial years,
speaking started to happen, then reading and writing. Now I actively use all four skills, with a focus on listening
and reading, but I've also developed a few friendships in the language and enjoy talking and chatting with them.

Listening: I listen to anything I can get my hands on, which is not much, unfortunately. But it includes the daily
news podcasts of Voice of America and NHK (Japan), the stuff SBS (Australia) uploads to itunes, TV on demand and
tailor-made recordings.
Reading: I still enjoy books for young readers, they're easy to read and good fun. I'm currently reading through a
stack of Enid Blyton adventure stories, but I also have several kilograms of books for young readers by Thai
authors, science magazines and other stuff I want to read like Steve Jobs biography or The Hobbit. I buy way more
books than I manage to read... I also do a lot of reading on the internet, ranging from stories and news articles
(mostly in preparation for tutoring sessions) to random blog posts.
Speaking: I have regular conversation sessions through italki where we discuss up to three news articles per
session which I prepare in advance, and I talk with friends on a regular basis.
Writing: I chat a fair bit on whatsapp with Thai friends, and I also write the occasional lang-8 entry when I see that I
write too little.

My TAC goals are to spend 1000 hours on Thai during 2013, respecting a healthy balance between the four
language skills. I plan to update my log every 20 hours or so, and of course I'll try to stay up to date on my team
mates' logs.

I wish everybody a successful TAC 2013 with lots of fun!

picnick
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4158 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Tagalog, English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 77 of 457
30 December 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I'm one of those new members who signed up late and are joining you guys
for this year! I'm participating as a high beginner/low intermediate Korean, and a
extremely low beginner Mandarin :P I'm looking forward to doing this with all of you,
it sounds really fun and all of your posts sound friendly :) I'm new to both TAC as
well as this forum in general so I'd like to introduce myself to everyone:

I'm a senior high school student in Vancouver, one who love languages and linguistics
in general. I've been doing self-study for both Korean and Mandarin. For both, I'm
going with a mix of online grammar courses, consuming media (TV/music), and general
conversation practice with friends. I'm lucky enough that Vancouver is the type of the
North American city with so many immigrants that Caucasian is technically a minority
race now (49%), so there's no shortage of people at school to practice Korean or
Mandarin with.

I've been studying Korean on and off since 2008 when I first started learned how to
read Hangul, but I haven't been 'hardcore' studying for more than a year or two now.
This hardcore studying basically just means anything other than passively listening to
K-Pop :P. TTMIK is my go-to resource for grammar, and plain reading/watching with Naver
dictionary close at hand helps my vocab. I'm at the level where I can hold normal
conversations with my Korean friends.

I initially started learning Mandarin this September by downloading Rosetta Stone, but
I'm going to shift my focus away from that and look for other, more concrete resources.
(Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!) I'm at a very basic level where I can
construct the simplest of sentences (你好, 我在和水, 这只够很大, etc) But hoping to get
at a conversational level next year!

Don't want to make this any longer than it already has gotten by rambling, so I'll post
my whole story on my own log thread. I'm still new here so I'm not too sure how it all
works. Do I just make my own personal thread, but then put our team name (whatever it
ends up being) in the title? And then do I just regularly report my progress/what I've
been doing to study in the thread? Sorry for all the noob questions, haha I'll figure
it out soon enough.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4939 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 78 of 457
30 December 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Here's my log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34767&PN=1&TPN=1

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4677 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 79 of 457
30 December 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, Bakunin and picnick! It's great to see you join :)

picnick wrote:
I initially started learning Mandarin this September by downloading Rosetta Stone, but I'm going to shift my focus away from that and look for other, more concrete resources. (Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!)

Have a look at the second post in the thread, where some of our members have recommended study materials. Maybe you'll see something you find useful.

picnick wrote:
I'm still new here so I'm not too sure how it all works. Do I just make my own personal thread, but then put our team name (whatever it ends up being) in the title? And then do I just regularly report my progress/what I've been doing to study in the thread?

Yes, that's basically what happens :) Aside from that we will have monthly team challenges (I'll explain those in more detail on January 1) and you should follow every team member's log at least semi-regularly and comment and encourage them on their language journey.

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5889 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 80 of 457
30 December 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

thanks for accepting me in this group ;)
Just created my TID=34769&PN=1&TPN=1">learning log, and voted on the group name!

I really prefer the "Asian Team" ;)
Let us keep it simple!

ps: Just in case the link doesn't work, my learning log: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34769&PN=1&TPN=1

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version