Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 25 of 553
13 December 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Unofficial groupies are always welcome. New members as well :).

About our team's name: do we go for Team Viking or are we exploring other possibilities?

I think it is a good moment to introduce ourselves so that we can get to know each other,
(including our learning experience with Scandinavian languages and foreign languages in
general). :)

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 553
13 December 2012 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Short version:
I'm from Sweden. Swedish is my native language. I learned English in the early 1980s. I've studied a bit of German, Spanish, French and Classical Greek in school (without getting far), some Russian, Mandarin, Esperanto and Portuguese in the university (also without getting far). I've flirted with Celtic languages, Cantonese, Dutch and maybe half a dozen other languages (again, without getting anywhere). I like Danish and Norwegian, so why not take part in TAC 2013?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 553
13 December 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
So good to see a Scandinavian team blossom : I can tell that this is going to be a good year :-)

When you do the presentations, perhaps you could mention what resources you plan to use and which level
you are at. If you decide to have Skype sessions at some point, it would be immensely useful if you had at
least one common book per language, and since the year has not even started yet, it would perhaps be
possible to get some common material?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 553
13 December 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Well, pretty much everyone knows me already XD
*waves* my name is Marina. I'm from Moscow and I study an obscene amount of languages. There's a lot of detailed info in my profile so I'll focus on the relevant ones. I'm fluent in Finnish and I was shocked when I went to Vaasa this summer and saw just how many familiar words come from Swedish! That's when I decided to learn Swedish - because I want to live in Finland one day. Probably not in Vaasa, but hopefully in a place where Swedish is also useful:) to honour the memory of that trip and decision, I bought Zlatan's book there.

I'm also doing the Assimil experiment in Norwegian. It's been a bit slow but I'm hoping to catch up later. It's helping my understanding of all three languages, including, obviously...

...Danish. I sincerely believe I lived in Denmark in my previous life. I used to remember it - now I only remember what it was like to have this memory. Eh...
Anyway, I've barely reached the stage where I can improve by having input. I'm doing the Super Challenge in Danish (half challenge - 100 "movies"), currently halfway through. I have some dubbed cartoons and I'll be watching them for sure ♥

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4976 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 29 of 553
13 December 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I was only informed that Serpent is a woman during the TAC subscriptions *embarassed*

I like the word "sol", because it's a Norwegian+Portuguese-English cognate (alongside with gratis, ferien, magre and a few unexpected others that just fascinate me). I know it's hard to come with a name including Sol that doesn't sound cheesy, but I just had to say that =D

Re. previous lives, that feels much like the case for me with French and Georgian. I could barely stand at Notre Dame, and I've never been to Georgia but I'm sure I'm going to feel at home there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 553
13 December 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I like the word "sol", because it's a Norwegian+Portuguese-English cognate
(alongside with gratis, ferien,
magre and a few unexpected others that just fascinate me). I know it's hard to come with a name including
Sol that doesn't sound cheesy, but I just had to say that =D

That's funny. Sol is my Norwegian nickname. (My Norwegian name Solfrid means beautiful as the sun in Old
Norse ). Sol
is what I sign short messages to Norwegian friends with :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 December 2012 at 3:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4369 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 31 of 553
13 December 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Self-introduction time!

Now in my mid-twenties, I was born and raised in Helsinki, and I grew up studying German, English, Swedish and French (in that order) in school. Grades 7–9 I attended an international school, and I've been more or less fluent in English ever since. Thanks to many years of classroom study, I had a good grounding in vocabulary and grammar in my other languages, but with the possible exception of German, which I had been studying since 3rd grade and gotten to practice on some holidays, I wouldn't say I spoke them. I also took some introductory Japanese classes in my second year of high school, but those were almost too elementary to deserve to be mentioned. In reality, I've learned almost all of my not-so-impressive Japanese by watching tons of anime.

After graduating from high school (or upper secondary school as we call it over here), I had a couple years' hiatus from languages other than English, until I awoke to the realization that I was beginning to lose my languages that I had put so much time into, and that if I didn't do something about it, all those years of classes would be for nothing. I came to the conclusion that the only sensible option I had, besides accepting my fate, was to learn the bunch of them to a high enough level that I could maintain them by by reading, listening to and watching stuff for fun.

First on my list was Swedish—I forget why—which I began working on in the summer of 2011. I had never self-studied languages before, so I it took some time to figure out what worked for me and what I liked. In the end, I got most of my results from listening to podcasts and L-R with Swedish text and audio, which remain my favorite "study" activies. On the side, I've sporadically worked on my other languages, mostly by listening to podcasts and watching TV shows, but I've also studied some grammar and kanji for Japanese, here and there.

Most recently, I've begun to dabble with Norwegian and Danish, which is great fun with my improved Swedish skills! So far, I've mostly watched some TV, but I'm soon going to start L-R:ing the fifth Harry Potter book in Danish. Next, I'm planning to get my hands on a grammar book for Norwegian and Danish, respectively, and possibly some of those "Norwegian/Danish for Swedes" type of books. I'm primarily interested in having good passive skills, but in preparation for a possible change of heart, I've decided to dedicate some time to grammar and spelling, as well.

My primary focus in 2013 is going to be on German, which I'm planning to attack much in the same fashion as Swedish. That being said, I'm also going to be reading some books in Swedish and keep working on my accent.

Let's have a fun and productive year, everyone!

P.S. I'm a guy, if anyone was wondering.

P.P.S. In round figures, I'd guestimate my skill levels as follows: English—C2, Swedish—low C1, German—B2, French—low B1, Japanese—It's complicated. ;) Not very good, though.

Edited by sans-serif on 14 December 2012 at 4:03pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 553
13 December 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I think I mentioned my resources in the main TAC thread, but here they are again:
* Linguaphone Norwegian
* Tio lektioner i danska (Helle Karman)

I'll mix this with radio dramas, audiobooks (some months ago I downloaded three from dr.dk, for free!), shadowing (one of my favourite activities), reading the occasional article, Youtube (right now, my main Norwegian input comes from Ylvis - would anyone believe that?), the Danish series "Rejseholdet" (or "Mordkommisionen" as it's called here) and "Matador", maybe Skype... (a big maybe). Enough?

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version