Élan
United States
Joined 5253 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 105 of 168
28 December 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I will definitely remind you about it now and then. :) And for anyone who wants to join you watching Persian
TV, you can watch online here. That site has Iran-based channels as well as foreign-
based channels.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6007 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 106 of 168
30 December 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm a new member of Team Alef and joined on a whim since I made a sudden decision this week to start learning Arabic. I've been learning Korean for several years and I live in Korea, so that will remain my primary language-learning focus, but I need to start learning Arabic too.

Right now I'm visiting my husband's family in Lebanon and I don't understand any Arabic, which is really cutting into my enjoyment of the visit. The next time we come here, probably in two years or so, I want to understand some of the conversation so I don't feel so bored and frustrated.

I'm going to be trying to learn conversational Levantine Arabic, trying not to get too bogged down by MSA. My husband is a native speaker but I'm a complete beginner. I just bought a handful of kids' beginning Arabic books at a bookstore yesterday and I'm starting to learn the letters.

Good luck to everyone learning one of the languages of the Middle East.

Edited by Haksaeng on 30 December 2012 at 9:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6007 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 107 of 168
30 December 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
edited to include my log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34764&PN=1

Élan
United States
Joined 5253 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 108 of 168
01 January 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Welcome to Team Alef, Haksaeng! A spouse is such fantastic motivation to learn a language, isn't it? It's great that
you have the opportunity to visit his family in Lebanon too. My husband is Iranian and he's helped me keep the
enthusiasm for Persian language learning.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6007 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 109 of 168
02 January 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Hi Elan, thank you for the welcome. And yes, having a family member who's a native speaker is a big help. I'm in the earliest stages of learning the letters, but I can't imagine trying to do it without having a native speaker available to sound out the letters and words for me and show me the difference between two "s" sounds that I can't distinguish from one another.

Sitting around all week in my in-laws' house unable to communicate was a big motivation for me. Also, my daughter is learning Arabic at college and I saw how much it helped her during our visit, even though she's probably only about A2. If I start learning, it will put pressure on her to continue to move ahead. She wouldn't want to let me pass her.

I noticed our team thread was way down on page 4, so wanted to give it a boost. Hope everyone is just busy studying.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5067 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 110 of 168
03 January 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Hey! I just wanted to come wish you all good luck. I hope everyone's studying is getting
off to a good start! :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 03 January 2013 at 10:14pm

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian

Message 111 of 168
04 January 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Salaam!

Is it possible to still join this team? I enjoyed the 2012 TAC with The Romantics and Italian, and would like to do it again for 2013 this time focusing on Persian (while maintaining Italian). I'm at around an A2 level now in Persian and would like to push it to a solid B2 by the end of the year.

I will post a link to a log once I get confirmation that I'm in.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4261 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 112 of 168
04 January 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Hendrek and Haksaeng!!

Haksaeng, that's such a great situation to be learning in. Between studying on your own
and having a native speaker to answer your questions and to practice with you'll make
quick progress.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, I believe in hitting the ground running. I'm
happy to say that based on the Alif Baa dictation drills I'm making good process with the
alphabet and in recognizing the different sounds.

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version