Portugal
Joined 5870 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 137 of 168
22 January 2013 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Is it possible to join? Do you have any requirements? I've started learning Arabic and could use some input...

Yes, you may join us. Welcome aboard. You may go to the sign-up thread and communicate your log's link (I've seen you have one) to Brun Ugle. She'll add you to the global list. Then, Johanna will add you to our team's list.

As far as requirements are concerned: work in order to learn your target languages, support your teammates, and I usually add "have fun". It's helpful and recommended to keep your log updated. I hope I'm not forgetting anything important. I don't think so, though.

@ Johanna: Normally, the welcoming part is up to you. I didn't want to leave Zireael hanging, so I stepped in. Please add her to our team's list when you have the chance. Thanks

Edited by Luso on 22 January 2013 at 2:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4460 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 138 of 168
22 January 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I sent Brun Ugle a link to my log a few days back, and I should be in the global list.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4261 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 139 of 168
23 January 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team Zireael!! I look forward to reading your blog and comparing notes on
the differences between Egyptian and Yemeni Arabic.

Luso, no problem. We're all in this team together, I just take care of the clerical work
:) When I don't log in for a few days it means I'm studying a lot to make up for slacking
off somewhere along the way.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4460 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 140 of 168
23 January 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Welcome to the team Zireael!! I look forward to reading your blog and comparing notes on

Well, I'm not sure if it's Yemeni Arabic. Wikipedia tells me Yemeni Arabic speakers pronounce the letter jim as /ʀ/ (French R) and and qaf as /g/, while Sarah pronounces jim as /dʒ/ and qaf as /q/. It's not Adeni dialect either, since there's no substitution of dental fricatives for dental plosives (/θ/ doesn't become /t/).
On the other hand, she does use for "what".

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4857 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 141 of 168
23 January 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I'm preparing for the Computer Architectures I. exam on 29.01 so please don't expect too much from me meanwhile.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 142 of 168
25 January 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Team Alef, here's a random sort of collection of potential resources or even just
ways to find more resources for languages. Let me know if anything is useful,
especially if you find anything helpful in Persian that I've missed :)

A dictionary of commonly used words, split into categories and in multiple languages
(has arabic, but no persian, though other parts of the site do):
dicts.info

Very strange (quasi-religious) dictionary, but with extensive CSV text (can easily be
imported into Anki) with many vocab words for several languages (again: arabic, but no
persian): dictionarydictionary.com

Persian search engine: iranmehr.com

For later in one's studies... perhaps Elan & spouse or our godparent Jappy58 could
check this one out and see if there are any useful resources for beginner/intermediate
students (especially LR, or texts with pronunciation guides). These are language
teaching resources for Persian to foreigners:
persian-language.org

Just an interesting sight dedicated to recording and documenting all languages of the
world. Here's the Iran page:
everytongue.com

Here's a program that can do word frequency lists (for roman characters, but should
support Turkish for example). I've tossed around the idea of running something like
this on an LR text for focused vocab study prior to an LR session to help things sink
in faster: word frequency counter

Finally, the really cool site where I found all of that stuff. It's a web directory
project, actually trying to find, gather, and link the web in an open-source, crowd-
managed directory. Search engines often lose sites that don't meet their algorithm
standards, but this can help preserve access to some interesting ones. The link points
to the languages portion, but it includes all topics:
DMOZ.org

Edited by Hendrek on 25 January 2013 at 8:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 143 of 168
26 January 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Quote:

Well, I'm not sure if it's Yemeni Arabic. Wikipedia tells me Yemeni Arabic speakers pronounce the letter jim as /ʀ/ (French R) and and qaf as /g/, while Sarah pronounces jim as /dʒ/ and qaf as /q/. It's not Adeni dialect either, since there's no substitution of dental fricatives for dental plosives (/θ/ doesn't become /t/).
On the other hand, she does use for "what".

Yemen is unique in that there is a remarkable diversity in dialects throughout the country. While all Arab countries foster different sub-dialects, it can be argued that Yemen is even more unique. This means that the dialect your friend speaks is indeed likely Yemeni Arabic - it'd just be a matter of determining which one (as you were trying to rule out Adeni). Generally, they are still all closely related to one another.

Edited by Jappy58 on 26 January 2013 at 12:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4460 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 144 of 168
26 January 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Jappy. As I'm focusing more on writing Arabic than speaking, should I change the entry to Arabic (Written), maybe? Simply, after Sarah finishes this university year, all contact with the language will be via e-mails and FB...

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version