Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 33 of 231
18 December 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Γεια σας! I've never really quite understood what all this TAC business was about, and have mainly ignored the language logs, since being a member here. However I've been taken by the enthusiasm of the people on the Sparta team, and am tempted to sign up. I seem to have a bit more experience of Greek than most of you, don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4449 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 34 of 231
18 December 2012 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Hi stelingo. I for one would be happy to have someone with a more advanced knowledge on the team (and not only from the selfish point of view of having someone to help me out if I don't understand something:). I also had not paid much attention to the TAC before now, but after reading Brun Ugle's registration thread and Cristina's enthusiastic contributions on the Russian 2012 team, I decided it was worth giving a try.

What is your level in Greek? As you see, we are a couple of total beginners, and another few with some more months of study behind them. I think most teams have a jolly mix of beginners and advanced learners, and I assume (being new to the game) that each and everyone works in their own pace. I see the team thing more as a support to keep you motivated and to push you forward.

Edited by Ogrim on 18 December 2012 at 8:49am

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5576 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 35 of 231
18 December 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Γεια σας! I've never really quite understood what all this TAC
business was about, and have mainly ignored the language logs, since being a member
here. However I've been taken by the enthusiasm of the people on the Sparta team, and
am tempted to sign up. I seem to have a bit more experience of Greek than most of you,
don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Γειά, stelingo, τι κάνεις;

Don't worry about missing out on the language logs before now. You don't have to have
an intimate knowledge of this place's inner workings before you start a TAC, we were
all new once.

The TAC is about a band of like-minded enthusiasts for one or more languages coming
together to aid each other in their thirst for knowledge of their chosen language(s).
The whole rhyme and reason behind the team challenge is that many of us work better
when we have others around to support and encourage us.

When I was at uni I always studied better with a friend beside me to tell me. We
collaborate here to share resources, exchange encouraging words, practise our languages
together through Skype, talk about difficulties and maybe even occasionally more
experienced learners like yourself join and help the less experienced along. We find
that we progress more quickly with others studying beside us. Typically the people who
continue past about March time tend to forge lasting, meaningful friendships with their
remaining team mates if they haven't done so already earlier on in the challenge. Just
as in Spartan wartime society, many are typically lost along the way, but those who
remain grow stronger through the experience. Completely unlike the military society we
have borrowed our name from however, we do not leave struggling team mates to die. If
anyone hasn't noticed yet, I am quite the laconophile.

If joining this small team of Greek enthusiasts does appeal to you, let me know either
here or via PM and I will add you to our ranks. If you choose to join, could you also
let Brun Ugle, our wonderfully diligent TAC 2013 organiser, know either in the TAC 2013
Organisation Thread or via PM? That last bit is a must so that overall TAC
participation can be recorded comprehensively. If you've got any more questions let me
know! :)

@ Saga: Thanks for the vote. Technically you didn't vote late as the deadline Brun Ugle
gave was 18th December. Regarding the team, just chime in with whatever springs to
mind. As time goes on you'll get used to how the team functions and will become more
comfortable. And for the record, none of us know the finer details of how the team will
function yet.

I suggest that we all follow at least one course together as a team so that we have
at least one common point of reference. As I'm going into this blind (I haven't used a
course or a textbook to learn a language since the crappy ones we used in school) I
suggest some version of Assimil. Now, I have no experience with Assimil and don't know
anything about the different versions, how important it is to have the same version as
everyone else on team or whether the audio's important. It also seems to be difficult
to find some versions.I don't really know where best to get it from as the ones with
audio I've found on the net are a bit pricey, especially considering I need to get it
for Russian too.

Request: Could someone give me a reasonably comprehensive answer to the above Assimil
questions? This is probably where my inexperience as team leader will show most. Thanks
:)

@ aloysius - thank you for the link to Greek by Radio. I'll be adding it to the soon to
be uploaded list of resources once I'm satisfied it's long enough.

If anyone has any questions, suggestions or, God forbid, criticism about my running of
Team Sparta or anything else, feel free to PM me. We have the Christmas performance for
work coming up this weekend so I will be focusing a fair bit on preparing for that, but
other than that my priorities will be firmly here and over at Team MIR.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 18 December 2012 at 10:07am

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5576 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 

Message 36 of 231
18 December 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Modern Greek Resources Post

I'll update the first post with a link to the page this is on along with the post
number.

Websites:

LanguageTransfer
HAU Greek Podcasts
GreekPod 101
Kypros
Cooljugator Modern Greek verb conjugator
Lexiscope Greek
Filoglossia

SBS Greek Podcasts
Greektionary They introduce three new words every day
including an example sentence with audio.
Online dictionary for Greek plus some other languages
PDFs for Greek
all in German

Textbooks

Griechisch mit System
Ελληνική γλώσσα (entirely in Greek)
Teach Yourself Modern Greek
Teach Yourself Greek Script - if you can't read Greek then try this out. There's also
one for Russian.
Spoken World Greek
Learn Greek without a teacher

Greek Easy Readers:

Greek Easy Readers

Edit: Wow! The links actually worked!

Edited by LanguageSponge on 19 December 2012 at 3:54am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 37 of 231
18 December 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
@LanguageSponge: I have stolen the following from one of Kanewaiis posts in the preplanning thread for the Assimil experiment:

++++++++++++

Assimil Passive

1. Listen to the text with the book closed.
2. Listen to the recording while looking at the English translation.
3. Read the Target Language (TL) text aloud. Be sure you understand the meaning
of each sentence.
4. Now read the TL text without looking at the translation.
5. Listen to the recording twice, once while looking at the English translation,
and once while looking at the TL text.
6. Listen to the recording with the book closed. At this point you should
understand what is being said
7.Listen to the recording once more. Stop the machine after each sentence, and
try to repeat it aloud.
8. Carefully read the comments several times. Examine the English sentences being
explained.
9. Read the exercises. Repeat each sentence several times.
10. Examine the examples of sentence structure.

Active

1. Read the lesson, the listen to the recordings.
2. Cover the TL text and try to reconstruct it, looking only at the English sentences.
Make an effort to do this both orally and in writing.
3. Uncover the TL text and correct any errors you have made.

+++++++++++++

I have to admit that it scared the living daylights out of me the first time I read it. How on earth do you do point 1-10 in just 30 minutes? But the others claimed it was perfectly feasible. I have used an adapted version when I have done Assimil, but then it has taken me three years to get to lesson 50, so perhaps I should try to do it the way I should do it :-)

@Stelingo: You are most welcome!And knowing more Greek is of course an asset! Have you let Brun Ugle know that you have joined us in the sign up thread yet?

Oh - and I think someone asked about which version to use in Assimil Greek. The one I have is "Le nouveau Grec sans peine" - 92 lessons by Katerina Kedra -Blayo and Jean Loup Cherel 2nd ed. 1996. I do hope there are not too many versions!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 18 December 2012 at 12:36pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5576 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 

Message 38 of 231
18 December 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Cristina. I'll look through that now in detail.

@ Everyone:

Please see the resources post above. This is a collection of all the resources I could
find through searching the forum and a short surfing session on the net. Although I
have used virtually none of the resources listed above due to being a beginner in
Greek, I can vouch for the TY Greek Script, it's great. If anyone else has any opinions
on any of the above resources or has any additions then I'd be grateful if you could
let me know here. It'd be more useful to make any suggestions public immediately so
that we can discuss them if need be. As the New Year looms ever closer I imagine our
need to gather resources together will become more urgent.

I assume that the resources list above isn't anything particularly special so feel free
to look for more as there's probably a fair bit ever more out there.

LanguageSponge / Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 18 December 2012 at 12:40pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 39 of 231
18 December 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, i'd like to tack my name on to the list of beginning Greek learners. I'm a complete beginner in Greek and have a pretty bad record with the TAC, but here i am once again, waiting to get crushed once again...

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 231
18 December 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Hey everyone, i'd like to tack my name on to the list of beginning Greek learners. I'm a complete beginner in Greek and have a pretty bad record with the TAC, but here i am once again, waiting to get crushed once again...

You are most welcome, Crush! I am also a complete beginner in Greek, so I am happy to get another one on board. We thought we might not be more than three people studying Greek, and now we are seven. That's great!

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version