Diglot
Germany
Joined 4174 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 41 of 231
18 December 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
@LanguageSponge: Thanks for the links. Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with
the Filoglossia and Odysseasproject links. They don't direct anywhere.
Oh, and you might want to correct Ελληνική γλώσσα ^^ The stress of Ελληνική is on the
last syllable.
And while you're at correcting stuff :) could you add Japanese and French to the
languages I'm learning in your first post? Ευχαριστώ πολύ!

Some links I'd like to add are:

www.greektionary.com
They introduce three words every day, including an example sentence and audio.

en.pons.eu
Online dictionary for several languages, including Greek.

http://www.schwadlappen.de/griechenland/sprache/spracheframe .htm
Now, this is only useful to German speakers, but since some of you are already quite
good at German, I thought, I'll share. Under "Lernhilfen" there are some interesting
PDF's, for example a very detailed grammar. All in German ^^

@Cristina: The Assimil book I have has been written by Katerina Kedra-Blayo and Jean-
Loup Chérel, too. I'm kind of wondering whether the book is actually the same, even
though yours is from 1996 and mine from 2007. Even the number of lessons is the same.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 42 of 231
18 December 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I think the other version is just another reprinting of the same book.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 43 of 231
18 December 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Well, I shall sign up. It would be nice to get to know some members here. I have been studying Greek on and off for a number of years, but it has never been one of my priority languages. I have used many books and courses, including Greek Language and People (BBC course), Filoglossia, Linguaphone but for the moment I have settled for Communicate in Greek I am on lesson 2 of book 2, so I guess my level is A2, on the threshold of B1. Just getting my teeth stuck into the genitive case and the aorist. :) It's not an ideal coursebook for beginners, as it's all in Greek (although there is now an English version of book 1) and is more of a classroom textbook, but I quite like it. I finished my first Greek reader last week. Aristotelous Stage 1. Xenodohio Atlantis, parakalo
I have to confess to being a heretic as I am not a fan of Assimil. I don't really want to change the books I am using, so I hope that won't be a problem.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 44 of 231
18 December 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
@stelingo - don't worry, you do not have to use Assimil if you do not want to. We just thought it would be
nice to use the same book if we are doing Skype. You may be too advanced for it anyway :-)

It is highly possible that you and some of the more experienced learners could simply do free conversation,
for the beginners among us, it would however be better to have a script we can read from since our free
conversation might not be terribly interesting :-)

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 45 of 231
18 December 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
@Cristina. Well I'm sure your enthusiastic smiles and nods will make up for it. :-)

Edited by stelingo on 18 December 2012 at 9:12pm

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6050 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 46 of 231
18 December 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know there are two versions of Assimil. The one you mentioned above (92 lessons) is available from
Assimil.com in French, German and Italian. I have the German version Griechisch ohne Mühe. It is based on, but
differs a lot from, the older version (101 lessons) which was called Neugriechisch ohne Mühe in German. This
version is available from Assimil.com only in Dutch.

//aloysius

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5576 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 47 of 231
19 December 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

@ Saga - I have fixed the spelling of ελληνική, as well as added the links that
you
suggested in your last post. Thank you very much for those. I have also added Japanese
and French to your list of languages. Let me know if I can do anything else.

@ Crush - Based on our Skype conversations I have added you to the Team's list in the
first post of this thread with Modern Greek and Mandarin Chinese. If that's not right,
just let me know.

@ stelingo - For now I have added you to Team Sparta for Modern Greek. Are there any
other languages I should add? I combed the Organisation Thread for any extra info but
couldn't find you.

I'd like to extend a warm, enthusiastic welcome to our two new members, Crush and
stelingo! We have done awesomely so far already and the challenge hasn't even begun
yet. Growing from three members to seven is really great for a language which is
typically not as popular as many others that are studied here on the TAC. Well done to
us all. Hopefully this is an indication of a fantastic year to come!

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 19 December 2012 at 7:31am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 231
19 December 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
@Cristina. Well I'm sure your enthusiastic smiles and nods will make up for it. :-)

Yep. I am really, really good on enthusiastic smiles and nods in any language! I am also really happy to see
that we have become a nice group of seven. We were just expecting three, so seven exceeds our
expectations. Also, as far as I know, there has never been a Greek team before, so we are breaking new
ground her.

We now have a great leader, an amazing team name, so all we need now is a motto, a theme song and
possibly a nice picture for the first page. Now even though we are studying modern Greek, I see no reason
why we should not draw on the rich history here, do anyone have any bright ideas? Of course a picture of
Gerard Butler in "The Spartans" might increase the group female membership considerably, but there are lots
of other options :-)

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version