Groupie
United States
Joined 4319 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 9 of 26
19 December 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I've seen that a lot of people use anki so I suppose I'll try that too, thanks for the
suggestion!

1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 26
09 January 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Kami,

Great beginnings! I'll definitely be checking your log out with interest!

Anki is a great tool, and it's helped me out so much over the years. I know of a few
people on the forum who are not such big fans too though.

The most important thing is to find a way to use it that suits your style of study.

I'd be really interested to see how you use it, if you decide to go with Anki or any
other SRS programme!

-L

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4319 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 11 of 26
10 January 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I would like to say that I have started using Anki and it is one of my new favorite
things. Flashcards have always worked well for me so now I have something I can bring
with me anywhere (I found the app for android)and I won't easily forget what I've
learned. I also got a new book for Christmas called Mastering Conversational Korean
Korean for Beginners which I've been learning vocab from. I've used it i think three
times, but the times I used it I found it incredibly helpful. I actually took the
vocabulary from the first list I found in the book and studied them on Anki. I also
used Talk To Me in Korean like I said I would and it is as great as I heard. The
lessons are relatively short and they explain everything really well. I also love how
they joke around. I hate to say that I still cannot introduce myself except to say I am
a student which I did not learn from ttmik but that could also be because I only did up
to lesson 5. Leurre, thank you :) and also I agree with your comment about finding the
right resource for your learning style. It would probably be hard to learn much if the
lessons bored you. You also gave me a great idea! I'll post who I feel each resource is
best for just as personal opinion.

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4319 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 12 of 26
10 January 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Talk To Me in Korean
- For people on the go (who have smartphones)
They have an app with all the audio and pdf files from their site. You can just plug in
headphones and do whatever else.
- Works well for people with a short attention span because it's just audio so there's
nothing to distract you.
- For people who can learn easily by hearing and seeing some notes on it
- People who are not 'down to business' type who want the lesson straight out, all
jokes aside.
-Really helpful for structure

Busy Atom's Korean Lessons for Beginners
-Not for people with a busy schedule because the videos are generally pretty long
(usually 20-50min)
-Works okay for people with short attention span
-People who don't mind taking notes
-For people who learn best by the systematic approach i.e the equation of a sentence
-Just a warning, he repeats himself a lot but it's only to make sure what he says is
committed to memory
-Really helpful for conversation and structure

Click Korean
-For people who learn best with scenarios rather then just being given sentences
-People who want a twist on learning
-People who like to act may find this fun
-If you're learning with someone else it would be fun to practice together using this
-Requires you to take notes on some vocabulary if you're interested in learning from
there
-It's laid out very nicely

Edited by Kami on 13 March 2013 at 4:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4319 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 13 of 26
10 January 2013 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Oh and I almost forgot! Next I'll be using BusyAtom's videos on youtube as my next
resource. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/BusyAtomdotcom/videos?
view=1&flow=grid

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6352 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 26
10 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I hope you have lots of fun studying Korean! I started studying it last year and TTMIK has been my main resource so far. I use Anki to memorize words as well.

Kami wrote:
I hate to say that I still cannot introduce myself except to say I am
a student which I did not learn from ttmik but that could also be because I only did up
to lesson 5.

I think doing introductions is not TTMIK's strong point, it's better to use a book for that. TTMIK lessons focus more on grammar and sentence structures, they don't cover any specific conversation topics.

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5110 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 15 of 26
12 January 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Hello fellow Team ιΆ΄ member!

I'm afraid I can't comment on Korean specifically, but I completely converted to SRS and Anki when I started as well. And yes, Youtube is procrastination for me as well and I love the courses, just wish there were some for Mandarin with a bit more structure and flow, lessons building on the previous, rather than the more phrasebooky format.

Best of luck for 2013!

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4314 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 26
23 January 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi teammate! Just here to wish you luck on your Korean goals! Look forward to watching
your progress through the year. Good luck!

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version