Groupie
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 9 of 19
01 January 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
A hint for writing better is to use your current vocabulary and translate simple sentences and thoughts into German. Not only will this help your writing but also your speaking to as you will see the structure of the language.

1 person has voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4424 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 10 of 19
14 January 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Your earlier post inspired me to go to a Meetup event last week. I meant to thank you ... better late than never, I suppose. Hope your studies are going well.

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4778 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 11 of 19
18 January 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for slacking. Got the flu (who hasn't) and was busy with work. However! I have been reviewing LL Intermediate German this past week because I *finally* signed up for a German Language Meetup on Monday. Don't know how much I will speak or understand, but I'm going to do it. If I fail, I will fail big! : )

Got some new apps for the phone: Babbel German and Speak German for Android. So I'm reviewing that.

Did get to see "Im Juli" last week, unfortunately it did not have German subtitles (which I could somewhat handle) only English. Oh and I met a au pair from Frankfurt that came in my store....hmmmm....possible tutor?

Enough babbeling! Will post later about my meetup.

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4778 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 

Message 12 of 19
24 January 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Was not able to make the local language meetup since my horse injured herself. But I'm signing up for the one next month. Fingers crossed. I should just do some Live Mocha audio submissions to "make up".

This week was a bit more productive than last week. Since it was slow at work I was able to listen to the Slow German podcast daily. Working with my German apps to get some vocab in.

Last night I had a pleasant surprise. I'm trying to get back in shape so I order some work out DVDs. Well, I decided to preview it before I was going to start the routine. The language menu comes up - Deutsch! Shut the front door! The whole routine is dubbed in German. Excellent! I get to get in shape and have some exposure.

yeah, yeah, I know it's not a ton of vocab. But it's the language at native speaking pace, plus it will be fun. I'm going to crack open a grammar book this week. Seriously I am. If I could find a grammar book as fun as "24/7 Chinese" I'd be golden.

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4313 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 13 of 19
24 January 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Fun is probably the best way to approach the learning of a language, so don't worry if your pace isn't as fast as you first intended. As for grammar, there're plenty of websites which teach its principles, and some of them have got a handful of exercises. Of course they're not books, but they may be as well an option you could consider.

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4778 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 

Message 14 of 19
27 January 2013 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm half way through one story from "Götter, Helden, Undgeheuer". Writing down more words than I understand to load into Anki. Oh well. I figure I will finish the story and then just go over Anki for the rest of the week and then start story two.

Eventually, like the Grimms tales I'll just start getting used to see the same words again and then I can truck through the text.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4424 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 15 of 19
27 January 2013 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Do you mind sharing the name of the workout video? That sounds like a great way to schlagen zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe (kill 2 birds with one stone). I have started listening to podcasts while going for walks or riding a stationary bike. Movement is supposed to help you learn and remember things, as well as being good for your body.

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4171 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 16 of 19
27 January 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Exercising "in German" is such a great idea! I've been trying to find good yoga sequences in German (Yoga
Übungen). I also really like using walk/workout time to listen to German, though right now I'm having trouble
choosing podcasts that are the right level for me. If they're too hard, I stop paying attention. I had been listening to
pimsleur while walking but have gone through them all.
@BAnna, what podcasts are you using?

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version