Triglot
United States
Joined 4424 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 17 of 19
27 January 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
@Maïwenn: Regarding podcasts: Deutsche Welle has a bunch of ones at different levels. A videocast I like (because it's pretty easy to understand) is from ZDF (TV broadcaster) LOGO Nachrichten (news for kids, ~10 minutes or so). There are also lots of Hörspiele ( radio plays) you can find on line. I started with the ones for children, although sometimes the vocabulary can be surprisingly sophisticated even if the sentence structures are not, but you could listen to little Red Riding Hood or something and pick up lots of language since you know the story so well.
The German radio stations like NDR have some good podcasts as well, but you might have to work up to these. A plus there is that they often have transcripts. Audiobooks can be good too, but as you say, you must make sure the level is right. Initially I was only able to comfortably read graded readers with simplified vocabulary and luckily a few of those had accompanying cds. With an audiobook you can listen to the same snippet over and over, which helps if the level is slightly above what is comfortable for you. If you look on itunes or whatever the android equivalent is, you should be able to find a few things to try out.

Viel Spaß beim Lernen!
1 person has voted this message useful

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4778 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 18 of 19
27 January 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I am working out to Zumba Total Body Fitness (yeah! I fell for it, but it's been fun so far).
I bought it from here: http://www.buy.com/prod/zumba-fitness-total-body-transformat ion-system-dvd-set/225167014.html

Buy.com is a big "mall" online, so I don't know if their vendor is German based or what. But it was a very pleasant surprise.

Now I'm so used to the German dubs, that when I heard the DVD in English I was like "eww, I don't like their voices in English"! LOL!

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4171 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 19 of 19
28 January 2013 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Oh! I love Zumba!! I'm going to have to check that out.

Elsinore13 wrote:
Now I'm so used to the German dubs, that when I heard the DVD in English I was like "eww, I
don't like their voices in English"! LOL!

Haha too funny. :) Similarly, for some reason, dubbing in German doesn't bother me at all, but I can't stand dubbing
in French.

@BAnna, thank you for the recommendations. :)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version