Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5148 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 97 of 236
02 September 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
That's one huge book! I guess it depends on how difficult it is. If you can't follow
what's going on, or if it takes too much time to comprehend that you lose interest, then
maybe something easier would be better. But if it's not TOO difficult, I think it's good
to read a more challenging book, otherwise you won't get to the next level. I guess the
trick is to read the right book at the right time ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 98 of 236
02 September 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I never finish books like that. It's just hard for me to get into them. A few years ago I was reading Susanne Fröhlich. That's about all I had time for; she writes stories that are quaint, humorous and sassy. It was something I could read and not fall asleep. Nowadays I have even less time to read -- which is really too bad. I steer clear of books that have to do with German history.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 99 of 236
23 September 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Not much new to report: Got stuck at around pg 750 or so of der Turm, so am taking a break and reading some easier stuff and doing a lot of watching/listening. My class has started up again. Onward...

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 100 of 236
03 November 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Hmm. I can't believe I haven't been on here since the end of September. I have been studying quite a bit: Three days a week of classes (soon to be down to one, thankfully), skyping, emailing, writing letters, reading books, doing grammar workbooks, watching films, listening to audiobooks and podcasts. I had my first dream entirely auf Deutsch recently. :)

On the downside (?) is that I have no idea what's going on culturally in the US, if anything is actually going on. LOL.

I just caught up reading the logs of the remaining Schnitzlers. We may be few, but it's good to know we are still hanging in there...

If you are interested in East German Films, my classmate has a really interesting blog (auf Englisch):

http://eastgermancinema.com/

Edited by BAnna on 03 November 2013 at 11:30pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 101 of 236
04 November 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Hey, there you are :)

good to hear that you're keeping up on all fronts -- listening, reading and writing, wow!

Yes, Team Schitzel has fizzled. There's only a few who are active. So we're a diet-sized portion of Schnitzel but we're still hangin' in there!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 102 of 236
01 December 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
01Dec: (!)    I can't believe it's already December. Studying has been going well. I am currently taking a conversation course at level C1 that uses the magazine Deutsch Perfekt as a basis for conversation, grammar, games, etc. I have a copy of some old Tatort episodes with subtitles in German, so I have been doing the following routine: watch the whole episode through without subtitles, watch 30 min segment with subtitles, watch same 30 minute subtitle with subtitles and jot down unknown vocabulary or interesting expressions (z.B. Er legt der sich in Zeug; Ich stehe völlig neben mir). Look up those words/expressions, rewatch without subtitles. Also really enjoying a novel: In Zeiten des abnehmenden Lichts. Am both reading and listening to the audiobook, and got the English version out of the library to hopefully try a little L-R during the holidays (don't know if that will pan out or not). And usual skyping, writing emails, etc.

It was fun reading everyone's posts and how you are all doing multiple languages. I feel somewhat lame with just 2 languages in addition to my native tongue, but that's what it is for now. I think I prefer being able to use a language at an advanced level much more than having to learn all the basics. I did a couple of online Polish lessons a couple of weeks ago, but just could not continue when I thought of how much time I would need to invest. Especially when I can just relax and enjoy content in Spanish or German. Where I live, Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog or Russian would be pretty useful, but I don't think I have it in me currently to invest the time and energy...maybe someday? Retirement? I'm wary of making any New Year's Resolutions I cannot keep. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 103 of 236
02 December 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
So, let me just check one thing: you set up this demanding routine (watch - add subtitles - take notes - look up - rewatch...) for yourself that you manage to keep and then say you feel lame? I'd say you'd better look up the definition of lame. :P

Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog or Russian? Where do you live?

Edited by Luso on 02 December 2013 at 10:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 104 of 236
02 December 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Subtitles can be either a useful learning tool or a distraction. I'm watching old episodes of Star Trek in French. I switch them on and off depending on whatever mood I'm in.

I write interesting expressions down, but I'm too lazy to look at them again after that :p

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version