Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4504 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 25 of 246
02 January 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kerrie! We're together on Team MIR, so I'm just dropping by to wish you the best of luck! If you need any help with Portuguese or Italian, feel free to ask =)
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 26 of 246
02 January 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Cooking
This has nothing to do with language learning, but it has to do with learning. :)
Since I never really learned how to cook more than macaroni and cheese and ramen
noodles, I am taking the Top Chef cooking class online. It was a Groupon thing, and
hopefully my children will thank me. For January, I want to work through Getting
Started
(three modules) and Stocks, Soups, Sauces and Salads (5 modules).
Any of you who like to cook, find me on Facebook and we'll talk. :)

Cooking could certainly have something to do with language learning if you want it to.
With all your languages you have a whole world of cuisine to explore. And you can start
getting foreign language cookbooks and browsing foreign language cooking sites. And
it's an activity that you can pair up with some language activities such as listening
or self-talk or running through verb conjugations/audio drills. So no excuse to not
have language learning dominate every moment of your life ;-)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 246
02 January 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

Cooking
This has nothing to do with language learning, but it has to do with learning. :)
Since I never really learned how to cook more than macaroni and cheese and ramen
noodles, I am taking the Top Chef cooking class online. It was a Groupon thing, and
hopefully my children will thank me. For January, I want to work through Getting
Started
(three modules) and Stocks, Soups, Sauces and Salads (5 modules).
Any of you who like to cook, find me on Facebook and we'll talk. :)

Cooking could certainly have something to do with language learning if you want it to.
With all your languages you have a whole world of cuisine to explore. And you can start
getting foreign language cookbooks and browsing foreign language cooking sites. And
it's an activity that you can pair up with some language activities such as listening
or self-talk or running through verb conjugations/audio drills. So no excuse to not
have language learning dominate every moment of your life ;-)

Actually, one of the last sections of the course is about international cuisine. After I get the basics down, I will definitely be exploring the foreign side of cooking. :)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 28 of 246
02 January 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
I always figure doing what interests you, but doing it in a TL is the best of both worlds, and the surest way you'll
keep up your interest for the language study. I've watched cooking shows in German, French and Italian (and
Yiddish, believe it or not) in the last month or so.

EDIT: I also used to listen to a cooking segment in Dutch on the SBS radio broadcast over the internet, though I
can't recall ever seeing a Dutch-language cooking show.

Random fact: Heering Cherry Liqueur actually bought ad space and product placement in a Yiddish language
"cooking show" (online video segment made for the Yiddish Forverts). I immediately went out and bought a bottle,
so I guess it worked.

Edited by geoffw on 02 January 2013 at 9:12pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6692 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 29 of 246
02 January 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages this year, my fellow Nebun :)

I have to say I'm impressed with your goals for January. I wish I was as systematic as you are!

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5501 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Hindi

Message 30 of 246
03 January 2013 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Good luck Kerrie, and the rest of team Pax this year. I hope I have the wherewithal and endurance to achieve just your Spanish goal this year. We'll see. :p

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4329 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 31 of 246
03 January 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I totally agree- your goals are very impressive! I hope you will reach them all! :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 32 of 246
06 January 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. :)

I've been drowning in phlegm for the past week, and I'm actually kind of surprised my head hasn't exploded yet. I really haven't gotten much done on the language front yet. My kids go back to school tomorrow, though, and I'm starting to feel a little better.

Except for two or three days, I have been doing (at least) my Spanish vocab. The day I went back to it, after two days of being incapable of more than opening my eyes and trying to feed the kids dinner, I sat down around 2am to do them. Which might sound a little late, but I had taken a nap from 4-10pm the previous night, so my schedule was WAY off. Anyways, I sat down to do them on my phone, curled up on my bed, and my Anki app was really confused. It wouldn't let me do anything. Apparently I was auto-upgraded (or I upgraded on accident), and I had to re-download all my decks, set up a new account for the new Anki web, and all that fun stuff. By the time I got done with it, I had no brain power left for words.

I actually discovered a better HUGE Spanish deck on (shared) Anki with 20k+ words, going both ways. I am setting myself to do 60-80 of these a day. This is pretty simple, because most of it I already know, and the cards go both ways. I will play it by ear with this deck. I don't want to overdo it too much, but at the same time, if I can use 5 minutes of otherwise dead time to kick 80 words out of my way, that will definitely help me towards my goal for active Spanish vocabulary.

I'm also working on the 2013 Spanish Monster SC list, aiming for 25 a day. That's the list of words I pick up from my Super Challenge reading. I thought learning the word for slug was silly when I came across it in Forastera, but then I came across it in Harry Potter a few nights later. Who knew? LOL

I went back to Harry Potter the other night when my brain was too tired to deal with all the new vocab in Forastera, and I realized how much more difficult Forastera is. Tons and tons of useful vocab, and one of my favorite series of all time. [For anyone doing the Super Challenge in English and looking for good books, it's called Outlander or Cross-Stitch, by Diana Gabaldon.]

I've been working on my French vocab list, too, but I don't like the way the deck is set up. I think for now I will continue to use it, and hopefully in the next week or two I'll be feeling better enough to set up my own deck. I hate being sick.

I finished watching Saison 4 of Medium, so I am up to 72/100 French films. I switched from watching Korean dramas. I promised myself that if I can finish the Assimil Le Coréen book, I could add a film Super Challange for Korean. I actually started watching one of them the other day with Spanish subtitles, which was interesting. I could keep up, but I wasn't really listening to the Korean, since I was concentrating on the Spanish.

Too many languages. Not enough time. I wish I could win the lottery and instantly get rich. Then I could travel all over the place and spend all my time learning languages. Too bad I don't play the lottery. :)

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version