Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 26
03 January 2013 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
There is certainly no need to count time. Some people feel perhaps that it makes them more accountable as they will see how much time they actually spend studying and also maybe where they are wasting time on other things. Others probably find that counting the minutes makes them stressed and that it is counterproductive. I think you should do what's best for you. If you like to just post at the end of the week with, for example, a rough overview of some of the things you did and perhaps any interesting observations you made, I think that is also a very good way to go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 10 of 26
08 January 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle: Thanks. I guess I'll try not counting the time for a while.

Arabic
I finished the first lesson so my aim is accomplished for this week. :) I changed the cards to Arabic on the front and English on the back side so Anki is pretty much doable now.
I got a bit confused, though. One of the exercises asks "huwwa da ɔismak?" and the answer key says the reply should be "lā, da miš ismi ɔana, da_smak inta ~ ismik inti!" So, my question is: Is the feminine version "da_smik inti" or "da ɔismik inti?" It's a bit confusing to see the "i" in "da ɔi" sometimes getting elided and other times not.

Japanese
The progress is only at 25% currently so I didn't have succeeded for this week.
By the way I watch it adding all sentences to Anki, having the sentence in kana on the question side and as regular Japanese + English meaning on the answer side.
I chose the Dream Eater Merry as the resource because I liked watching some episodes of it last year, and because it has got Japanese subtitles for it at kitsunekko.

Mandarin
The first episode of Yuru Yuri had 774 hanzi. I added them to Anki, as expected. I "learned" 293 so far but there were hanzi that I already knew. This time, I chose the subtitle with traditional hanzi so that made the number of unknown characters somewhat higher. When at the dormitory, I will probably learn hanzi more intensively (at least that was the case in the previous semester when doing exams) so there's a better chance of accomplishing my goal next week.

Edited by Takato on 08 January 2013 at 2:34am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 11 of 26
08 January 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Are you trying to learn both the traditional and simplified forms of the hanzi at the same time? I think when I finally get around to doing Mnadarin, I prefer the traditional, but of course I will have to be able to at least recognize the simplified forms.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 12 of 26
08 January 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
When I was doing the very basic Chinese deck, the characters were given in both forms and I ended up learning only whichever stuck easier. So I never learn both at once anymore to prevent that. I seem to be alternating the target script. The format is like "不 -> [bu4]/(negative prefix)/not/no/" right now so I don't go for production. Production is like writing 3 hours, I don't remember exactly how much it took but it was just a small piece.

Edited by Takato on 08 January 2013 at 3:59pm

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5105 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 13 of 26
12 January 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Hello fellow Team 鶴 member!

Interesting way of learning the hanzi. How are you finding it? Do you rewatch episodes after learning the characters as reinforcement? I'd shied away from brute force approaches myself, but do you find the context helps? Are you doing anything else with Mandarin - writing characters, learning the spoken language - or just the hanzi for the time being? I wasn't clear from your above answer, sorry.

Sorry for the long list of questions and best of luck for 2013!

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 14 of 26
12 January 2013 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
LittleBoy wrote:
Interesting way of learning the hanzi. How are you finding it?

I find it good because I can have some fun while learning new characters and words. Also, if I were to start with a textbook now, an intermediate book would probably be too difficult whereas a beginner one would be too easy and I'd feel like wasting my time. (Others said I'm impatient.) When trying to understand the subs it's sure to be above my level so far so I can certainly learn from it.

I haven't documented it, so I can't say the exact numbers (I only documented the hours, probably 90% of the time), but I tagged 50 hours as #anime and another 50 hours of #movie of which some was made up of anime, I just counted them together. I have an anime list and looking at the tiltles, I can count 9 episodes that I surely watched with Chinese subs, plus 2 Chinese cartoons. The first episode took 8-10 hours (I was writing out* by hand like the 90% of the text on the subtitles), then as I didn't look up stuff like 是/想/和/会 and my touchscreen phone arrived from China, it became 6 hours/episode (up to that point I was handwriting the characters with the touchpad of my laptop). The last episodes I've seen took 4 hours to watch (writing out unknown words by hand). The very last episode took 3 hours, because I could get the subtitle in an srt file (i.e. it wasn't burned in the video) so I could open it in firefox and look up stuff with perapera.

While watching, I tried to remember both unknown characters and words but I only added the characters to Anki.

Back then I watched episodes of whatever anime so the new characters and words were coming up so fast (especially due to watching anime of various genres) that I had to stop and do some other stuff instead, like nothing, listening, chatting, writing or what not. So I'm just trying to go through Yuru Yuri for now (I've seen all 12 episodes already so I'm rewatching it). When I finish, I can go to Yuru Yuri♪♪. I will probably go to something else, like Chinese cartoons, though, provided I know enough Japanese by that time for making me fed up of being unable to concentrate on the subs due to naturally trying to understand the spoken words.

LittleBoy wrote:
Do you rewatch episodes after learning the characters as reinforcement?

I plan to learn the characters, _then_ watch the episode, adding unknown words to Anki. I'll tell you about rewatching after I get around finishing the first episode.

LittleBoy wrote:
I'd shied away from brute force approaches myself, but do you find the context helps?

Only if I know the meaning of one hanzi in a two-hanzi-long unknown word.

LittleBoy wrote:
Are you doing anything else with Mandarin - writing characters, learning the spoken language - or just the hanzi for the time being?

I wrote I have "No ability to produce Mandarin." to scare away everyone from trying to make me write in it, as my writing is terrible. I can fake it if I want, but having a focus on characters made me unable to produce sane sentences so that's why I want to add the words to Anki this time. I don't plan to do much writing. Maybe in August.

LittleBoy wrote:
Sorry for the long list of questions and best of luck for 2013!

A long list of questions produces a long answer so we're even.
Thanks for the luck. If I can make good use of it then I'll finish the first episode by the end of this week (Monday evening). Hope you get some luck in, too!

* When I write "writing out" I don't mean like writing it out on a paper or something. I just mean inputing the characters by a handwritten method, rather than, say, searching for the character, choosing some parts of the character to limit the results to 20 characters and what not.

Edited by Takato on 12 January 2013 at 4:53am

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4309 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 26
21 January 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello fellow teammate. I like how you learn what you want... keeps it fun. When learning
if fun, well... it doesn't really feel like learning right? I think that is why I bounce
around so much. The aim of the game is fun after all.

Keep up the good work!

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 16 of 26
23 January 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
billyshears66 wrote:
Hello fellow teammate.

Hi!
billyshears66 wrote:
I like how you learn what you want... keeps it fun. When learning
if fun, well... it doesn't really feel like learning right?

Somewhat. I mean, having to do one episode per week makes it feel like a bit of a chore, so I'm thinking of making watching one ep per week an achievement rather than an expected schedule. Each episode will take less and less time to watch as it gets easier anyway, no?
billyshears66 wrote:
The aim of the game is fun after all.

Sounds cool!
billyshears66 wrote:
Keep up the good work!

I'll keep it up on February. I'm busy studying for my exams now. I will be free starting on 05.02 at the latest.

I'm doing some Anki every once in a while nevertheless, but that's all.

Edited by Takato on 23 January 2013 at 9:47pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version