brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 17 of 26
24 January 2013 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Good luck on your exams!

Sometimes goals can make language learning into a chore, or it feels like too much pressure. If it gets like that, it's best to just go with the flow and do what you feel like.
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 18 of 26
11 February 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Okay people, it seems concentrating on the exams for a while was worth it. I failed Math III but I got a C at the Computer Architectures I exam, which was as surprise. Maybe it's because I went through the whole study material. I haven't mastered it, though. Or possibly it's due to the luck I got.
Brun Ugle wrote:
Good luck on your exams!

But anyway:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Sometimes goals can make language learning into a chore, or it feels like too much pressure. If it gets like that, it's best to just go with the flow and do what you feel like.

个 I'll try to stick with that.

Japanese
I went through all the cards that I created in Anki prior to the exams. There's still 6.5 minutes left of the first episode.

Chinese
Went through all hanzi. Started the sentences.

Arabic
Two lessons down, fourteen to go.
Words seemed a bit difficult to memorize so I deleted half the cards and created sentence cards instead. Well the interjections and the like still make cards one, two or three words long.
I created reverse cards from the mature cards, so there are some cards in the production way now.

Icelandic
Tonitrus said to me he was learning Icelandic so I thought "me too." This is the place I'm learning at. It was weird that I could easily say "Þetta er lykill." by looking at "That's a key." but couldn't understand "lykill" off the top of my head. I thought it meant either "door" or "handle." ._. It's probably caused by me only adding cards in the direction of production (non-Icelandic to Icelandic cards). So I created reverse cards from the matures here as well.

It made me wonder whether I should add cards in both directions right away. Anki (I'm using Anki 1) doesn't seem to be willing to create reverse cards from all the cards so I guess I'll add both directions to make it less troublesome.

I was about to make an update since a few days ago but I wanted to finish the episode at Japanese first. Guess I'll finish it later as I'm now off to restarting Vietnamese. (Druckfehler said it would be cool if I restarted it after failing the C.A I exam. I didn't fail it but whatever.) This time I'll do it in a slower pace and with Anki.

Edited by Takato on 11 February 2013 at 5:34pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 19 of 26
12 February 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Welcome back! It's good to see that you survived you exams even though I guess you'll have to take the one of them over.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 20 of 26
18 February 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
First episode done. :D It took 138 cards in Anki (I didn't add all sentences, just those which contained stuff I didn't know). I read the first two chapters of Japanese for Today but I don't think I'd continue it. I started it for enhancing my speaking ability but I guess it's better if I finish Dream Eater Merry first (yes it's actually Dream Eater Merry, not Yuru Yuri). Anyway, I could understand the sentences with the help of Rikai-chan so I think it's a good way to go. After all, I started learning Japanese for the anime of it.

Chinese
druckfehler wrote:
Also, do you have any study plans apart from watching animation? Not that I want to spoil your fun, but I think you'll make more progress (and in turn enjoy the animations more) if you include some grammar and vocabulary study.

It's significantly harder to go through the Chinese subtitles as there are sentences I can't seem to be able to understand in any way possible. I suppose it's because I studied much less grammar in Chinese than in Japanese, so I learned some grammar at the site BloodyChinese recommended. I've seen these function words a few times, when I watched some episodes with Chinese subtitles last year, so maybe it's a good time to learn grammar, I don't know. I thought I'd go in order so I was learning the A1 grammar points. I did the lessons on adverbs and numbers. I'm in the middle of particles now.

Arabic
Went through the dialogue and grammar section of the third lesson. Deleted the reverse cards as they seemed too difficult and I didn't go through the Anki cards.

Icelandic
Deleted reverse cards here, too. Even if they should be easy as the target language is on the front side of a card, the sheer numbers to be gone through are offputting.
Did the lessons of 2-5, 3-1 and 3-2. (The survival course is made up of 6 parts.)

Vietnamese
Went through the first lesson of Elementary Vietnamese.

Edited by Takato on 18 February 2013 at 11:22pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 21 of 26
26 February 2013 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:

I've seen these function words a few times, when I watched some episodes with Chinese subtitles last year, so maybe it's a good time to learn grammar, I don't know. I thought I'd go in order so I was learning the A1 grammar points. I did the lessons on adverbs and numbers. I'm in the middle of particles now.

I find it very useful when I study grammar and recognize something that I've already seen in real life and vice versa. It makes it stick better in my mind than just seeing it in a grammar book. So it will probably be very useful to you to combine grammar study with the other things you are doing so they can reinforce each other.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 22 of 26
05 March 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Not much done in these last two weeks because the Anki reviews' piling up was demotivating. I've deleted the Hanzi deck (it was the one having the most reviews pile up) and the Japanese sentence deck (I don't think it's much worth; rewatching the episodes is probably a good enough substitute and it's more fun anyway). So now the only deck having too many reviews is the Icelandic deck but it's probably due to the deletion and readding of many cards which was needed due to having added some dozen cards by mistake.

19.02 - 04.03

Vietnamese
Did the dialogues and the grammar notes from the second lesson.

Chinese
The English fansubs for The Black Witch Appears!! were discontinued by Choco and then the Anxious Helium is a bit slow so I thought I'd bring my Chinese to a satisfying enough level so that I'd be able to translate it to Hungarian. (I'm not sure the Anxious will release the subs prior to the second season airing on 3 April and I don't want to wait for them. ._.)
So I was watching that episode 16, looking up grammar words where needed. Knowing the grammar words' function makes a difference! :)

Edited by Takato on 05 March 2013 at 11:28am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 23 of 26
08 April 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
One month no update, huh?

I was doing my thesis, dissertation or what not. Just the base of it anyway. But the most time wasted was while doing the procrastination. Well, I managed to do four, two and two subs in the last three weeks respectively. I started to read'n'play some visual novel as well, even though I still had a number of anime to watch.

So in the sense of not waiting for finishing other stuff first, I restarted Toki Pona.

05.03 - 08.04

Toki Pona
I will be interested in seeing how it really works out with its one hundred and twenty-something words. It's already messing with me with its words meaning two or three different concepts but maybe it's just that my learning material is messed up. I can't tell so I'll ask the creator when I finish this update.

Chinese
Went through another episode. Listened to two Slow Chinese podcasts. First I wanted to listen to some 4+ minutes long stuff but it was overhard so I listened to two 40-60 seconds long jokes instead. It seems accidentally learning the pinyin of some hanzi (previously, when I was using non-audial materials) helped a lot. But I guess I should be fine with the podcasts for a while.

Icelandic
I'm over half of the survival lessons. As I was busy with the thesis, I didn't use Anki for a while but it's easy to go through most of the cards even so, so I guess it's okay.
Takato wrote:
the Anki reviews' piling up was demotivating

Now I consider Anki as a reviewing opportunity, not really sticking to the daily reviews, though. So not having reviewed all cards, I still learned some new lessons. I do Anki when I have time, like, while commuting on the bus.
I think it's like the learn-some-each-day-instead-of-a-lot-each-week: although it would theoretically be the most efficient, you don't really go for efficiency alone.

Vietnamese
Lesson two and three done. Using Anki makes the words stick more easily, but it's probably obvious . . .

Arabic
Just went through the Anki decks.

Other
Learned some Turkish phrases to say to the Turkish classmate and it felt great, but then I don't really want to learn Turkish, so it was just a short term stuff.

Edited by Takato on 08 April 2013 at 6:13pm

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 24 of 26
09 April 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
Exotic languages!