bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5181 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 37
18 December 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I guess we can conclude that the many proficient speakers are using native language materials and have no need for materials that purport to teach at an advanced level.

Not only are there few learners who make it to that level, but they increasing use native material, so it has to be a really small market few are willing to venture into.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 37
18 December 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
s_allard mentioned grammars in the languages they describe, written for and by native speakers. And yes, that can be a problem. I have two Greek grammars. One is written by a Greek author, and although it is in French everything is seen from the point of view of a native speaker. So I only use the other one, which is a Routledge grammar written in English. Some day I may get so far that I can profit from the 'Greek' one, but I don't feel the need right now. In other languages I do use 'native' grammars, such as "Le Bon Usage" in French when I deal with rare and precious constructions, but while I learned the language in the 70s I preferred material written for learners, not books written for elitist connaisseurs. It is not necessarily the language a book is written in that can be problematic - it is the choice and the prioritization of the topics which can be skewed.

As for learning materials for advanced learners I don't see the need for ordinary textbooks or graded readers. Grammars, dictionaries, collections of idiomatic expressions and articles about specific linguistic topics will remain useful, but advanced learners can pick and choose everything that is available in their chosen languages and about their favorite subjects - they don't need somebody to select and chew the fodder for them first.

One last comment: when the multilingual/non-English subfora were introduced I saw it as a great leap forward. But it soon became clear that the discussions there had a tendency to die out fast, and then the eternal silence was only broken by some forlorn voice in the wilderness who once in a while asked why nobody wrote there. The discussions in these subfora who survive are those that have a specific theme, which is relevant for a fairly large number of HTLAL members. I actually started my own multilingual and multiconfused log thread because I became tired of waiting for something to happen in the other subfora.

Edited by Iversen on 18 December 2012 at 4:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 37
18 December 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Most people who self-teach a language give up after about two weeks. This isn't a question of "advanced"—most of the people who buy Teach Yourself or Rosetta Stone will never even qualify as a "beginner". I'd guess that maybe 10% reach A1.
Do you mean the English-speaking countries?
Elsewhere, most people who self-teach a language already speak at least some English, so they have a more realistic idea of what they should do, and I'm sure the success rate is higher. And of course Esperanto learners f..k up the stats in a good way:)

(Also, in Russia the various Ilya Frank method books are quite easy to find)

Edited by Serpent on 18 December 2012 at 5:47pm

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4262 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 12 of 37
18 December 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As everybody here knows, there is a ton of books, methods, websites, videos, etc. for beginners in many languages. But very little for intermediate and nearly nothing for advanced learners. I get the impression that there is no market for these materials because there is not really much interest.

I conclude that very few language hobbyists go beyond dabbling. Those who become very proficient do so because of family history or professional needs. Even here at HTLAL, if I judge only by the French and Spanish subforums, there is very little discussion beyond the beginner level. Maybe once people reach a certain level, they go off to the sites in the target language?

Where are the advanced speakers.

Yes, once people reach a certain level, I think they just talk with natives as much as they can or work in the language. They also read in the language, whether online, magazines, or books. Since you study Spanish and it's the foreign language that I know, here are some things that you can buy to "immerse" yourself better. The Real Academica Española (RAE) has some dense works that I would only recommend for like PhD people that REALLY like the minutiae of grammar. I LOVE grammar but it's too much for me; I have a small grammar book from the RAE that I never use since it's too boring and complex.

You could chat with natives on italki.com or livemocha, I believe, if you can't find face-to-face chats. For reading material, you could check out Gabrial García Márquez for classics or Carlos Fuentes if that's your drift. Careful about Marquez's "Cien años de soledad"; it is so hard to read that there is a 20 pages glossary for NATIVE speakers explaining vocabulary. I would recommend getting an edition with a geneological tree explaining all the marriages, unions, and children. Since there are like six generations, it gets kind of confusing. Other works I recommend are, "Nada" by Carmen Laforet, "El embrujo de Shanghai" by Juan Marsé, "La Familia de Pascual Duarte" by Camilo Cela...Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Diccionario-Practico-Estudiante-Studen t-Dictionary/dp/8403097468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355845010 &sr=8-1&keywords=diccionario+practico+del+estudiante

http://www.amazon.com/gramatica-Lengua-Espanola-Manual-Spani sh/dp/8467032812/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355845145&s r=1-1&keywords=nueva+gramatica+de+la+lengua+espanola

Edited by justonelanguage on 18 December 2012 at 7:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4488 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 37
18 December 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Me: "Hi! I notice that you have about 40 beginner French courses. But I don't see any actual
books in French. Isn't that a bit weird?"

Them: "Yeah, you're right. That is weird."

Me: "Especially since we're only two hours from Quebec. I guess whoever stocks all those language courses on your
shelves doesn't have faith that anybody is actually going to learn French."

Them: "Huh, yeah. You know, my daughter speaks very good Russian, and she can never find any books either."

Not quite 10 years ago there was a Borders bookstore I used to frequent that had, in addition to the instructional
materials, a section of the store for foreign-language books. It carried a modest selection of books in Spanish,
French, German, Russian, and a very surprising amount in Polish, possibly among other languages. They also
carried, inter alia, Le Monde and Frankfurter Allgemeiner Zeitung.

Borders' archrivals, Barnes and Noble, sometimes have an even bigger foreign-language section, but it is entitled,
invariably, "Libros en Español."

Borders is no longer in business. Coincidence?

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5760 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 14 of 37
18 December 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:

Not quite 10 years ago there was a Borders bookstore I used to frequent that had, in
addition to the instructional
materials, a section of the store for foreign-language books. It carried a modest
selection of books in Spanish,
French, German, Russian, and a very surprising amount in Polish, possibly among other
languages. They also
carried, inter alia, Le Monde and Frankfurter Allgemeiner Zeitung.

Borders' archrivals, Barnes and Noble, sometimes have an even bigger foreign-language
section, but it is entitled,
invariably, "Libros en Español."

Borders is no longer in business. Coincidence?

I miss Borders. It was much healthier for the bookstore market to have some
competition.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 37
18 December 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
emk wrote:
Most people who self-teach a language give up after about two weeks. This isn't a question of "advanced"—most of the people who buy Teach Yourself or Rosetta Stone will never even qualify as a "beginner". I'd guess that maybe 10% reach A1.
Do you mean the English-speaking countries?

Well, except for learning English, I think a lot of the big monolingual countries are pretty bad at reaching any kind of conversational fluency in a second language. Continental Europe does OK, certainly.

Serpent wrote:
(Also, in Russia the various Ilya Frank method books are quite easy to find)

You know, it would be possible to build a tool which took two ebooks, and automatically turned them into an Ilya Frank-style book with alternating paragraphs and links to online dictionaries. It would take a little bit of work, but it would definitely be possible. And there's no reason why it couldn't export interesting sentences for use with Anki.

If we want advanced materials, we can always make them. :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 16 of 37
18 December 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

You know, it would be possible to build a tool which took two ebooks, and
automatically turned them into an Ilya Frank-style book with alternating paragraphs
and links to online dictionaries. It would take a little bit of work, but it would
definitely be possible. And there's no reason why it couldn't export interesting
sentences for use with Anki.

Having worked with my share of CAT tools over the years, I would think this would take
more than a little bit of work. Sentences often don't work out to a 1-to-1 ratio
between languages, and manual alignment usually needs to be done.

But the manual exercise of aligning two texts is a good exercise in and of itself.

R.
==

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version