Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 37
18 December 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Having worked with my share of CAT tools over the years, I would think this would take more than a little bit of work. Sentences often don't work out to a 1-to-1 ratio between languages, and manual alignment usually needs to be done.

To make Ilya Frank-style books, the alignment wouldn't need to be perfect. I was specifically thinking of algorithms like the following:

* A program for aligning sentences in bilingual corpora
* Fast and Accurate Sentence Alignment of Bilingual Corpora

This is mostly just dynamic programming based on sentence lengths and other available data. There may be some good reasons to start with the 1991 paper and try to fill in any missing pieces without actually reading the more recent papers. And if there are a few alignment errors here and there, the reader will probably be able to manage.

Tools like this could be pretty handy for advanced students: You could even hide the L1 text unless the reader wants more detail on something, and you could easily export interesting sentences to Anki. It could be sort of a cross between LingQ/LWT, Listening/Reading and Ilya Frank-style books.

Unfortunately, automatically aligning audio with text is considerably harder. Subs2srs is the only really practical tool right now, unless you want to manually align with something like TranscriberAG.

Anyway, I'd actually love an intensive French course targeted at my particular needs, and various FSI researchers have claimed that the right kind of course can help students immensely between ILR 3 (roughly C1, I think) and near-native levels. But even finding a good private Skype tutor can be tricky—I've spoken to several who seem pretty lost with students who've already reached B1. They have a nice little curriculum for beginners and don't do very well outside of it.

I think an ideal solution would be lots of native materials, immersion and very intensive instruction with lots of personal attention. But we all make do with what we can find and afford.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4629 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 18 of 37
18 December 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
emk (or anyone interested in creating their own bilingual/parallel texts),

You may want to look into an opensource program called 'hunalign'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 37
18 December 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Serpent wrote:
emk wrote:
Most people who self-teach a language give up after about two weeks. This isn't a question of "advanced"—most of the people who buy Teach Yourself or Rosetta Stone will never even qualify as a "beginner". I'd guess that maybe 10% reach A1.
Do you mean the English-speaking countries?

Well, except for learning English, I think a lot of the big monolingual countries are pretty bad at reaching any kind of conversational fluency in a second language. Continental Europe does OK, certainly.

Serpent wrote:
(Also, in Russia the various Ilya Frank method books are quite easy to find)

You know, it would be possible to build a tool which took two ebooks, and automatically turned them into an Ilya Frank-style book with alternating paragraphs and links to online dictionaries. It would take a little bit of work, but it would definitely be possible. And there's no reason why it couldn't export interesting sentences for use with Anki.

If we want advanced materials, we can always make them. :-)
Yes but even in these fairly monolingual countries many people have at least tried to learn English. they're either discouraged completely by their school experience or they do learn something, especially if English is a boring useless language to them but they do like, say, Spanish. I think the rate of 10% reaching A1 is too low. It might be true in the US because of the unrealistic expectations from expensive resources like Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur, but I bet in many other countries it's closer to 50-70%, which is of course still nothing impressive.

As for Ilya Frank method, the real strength of it are the translations, which tend to be done by L2 speakers of the language specifically for learning purposes. The text indicates some basic forms and often some of the pronunciation (e.g. stress for Ukrainian, transcriptions of 2-3 words per paragraph in English).

Also, I meant that while we don't have that many graded readers available, Ilya Frank-style books are as easy to find as just beginner level materials. Although they can be used from the beginning, this seems a little too adventurous for many; de facto it's mostly popular with people who are A2 or so.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5566 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 20 of 37
18 December 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Reagrding this forum: I have only one target language in which I believe I make few enough mistakes to make meaningful contributions in, and that one is English.

Speaking in more general terms, most of the material for advanced learners I've seen in book stores in the country where the language is spoken.

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6254 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 21 of 37
19 December 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Me: "Hi! I notice that you have about 40 beginner French courses. But I don't see any actual
books in French. Isn't that a bit weird?"

Them: "Yeah, you're right. That is weird."

Me: "Especially since we're only two hours from Quebec. I guess whoever stocks all those language courses on your
shelves doesn't have faith that anybody is actually going to learn French."

Them: "Huh, yeah. You know, my daughter speaks very good Russian, and she can never find any books either."

This might be a silly question but seriously, don't they have a foreign language section in American bookshops? o_0 You've got to be kidding me... I never thought the situation over there would be THAT bad.

It is a pity that most people on this message board don't write anything in the non-English discussions. I assume that the majority here knows at least one foreign language, so what's the problem then? I don't want HTLAL to turn into an English-only discussion board where people talk about learning languages but never bother using any of them apart from the oh-so-mighty English.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 37
19 December 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
If the physical bookstores can't be bothered to sell foreign books then you have to buy them from internet bookstores (and not necessarily the one with a name that begins with an 'A'). But personally I get most of the things I read in my minor languages for free from the internet.

Concerning bilingual editions and Ilya Frank's setup: I use a lot of bilingual texts, which I produce mainly with the help of Google Translate - I have explained elsewhere why this isn't so dangerous as some might think.

In the beginning I used a trick: if you insert a Google translation into MSWord 'as text' then you get alternating sentences in your target language and your base language. Which is very close to Ilya Frank's setup. But I have totally dropped this method: it is much easier to make tables with two columns and put each version in its own column. Then you can align the paragraphs fairly precisely simply by manipulating the width of the columns, and you can finetune the aligment by changing the font size of selected paragraphs.

However I don't quite understand why someone who claims to be fluent in a language should want bilingual texts at all. I rarely use bilingual texts in languages which I can read fairly well, but they essential in languages which you can't read without looking things up - a glance at even a bad translation may help you to get on without loosing time on look-ups. But even a translation disturbs your reading, so a some point you have to cut the umbilical cord.

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2012 at 3:01am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5566 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 23 of 37
19 December 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
However I rarely use bilingual texts in languages which I can read fairly fluently, so I don't quite understand why someone who claims to be fluent in a language should want bilingual texts at all.

For the lulz.

... (should go to bed.)

I think it's about tolerance of ambiguity. Some people would rather have a L1 text to refer to for the few occasions when they aren't sure if their interpretation was the correct one.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 37
19 December 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
When I trust my own hunches more then those of Google translate AND only have qualms about a few words on each page then it is time to stop using translations. But there is a greyzone where I still use them for my intensive studies, but not for extensive reading (i.e. reading for pleasure and/or content).

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2012 at 3:00am

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version