United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 37
20 December 2012 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Welcome!
It's about time someone made a thread for the 'other' Russian team. ;) I apologise that
it's taken so long, but I have been busy at work these past few days.

It'd be great if we could all share tips and ideas for learning Russian.
When you make a log, send me a link and I will post it here for easy reference.
In addition we could Skype chat, SharedTalk and help each other with mistakes etc.

So far our members are:
GRagazzo
Kerrie - Kerrie 's log
Wort - Wort's log
zecchino1991- zecchino's log
Ignis Fatuus
Riff - Riff's log

...if you are interested in joining the team, please head to the sign-up thread, the
more the merrier!

Guidelines/Rules
Comment and offer support to each other. Update your log regularly and let each other
know about your triumphs and failures. We are lucky enough to have a 'sister team',
Team MIR, that can also help us! Make sure to show them the same support!

Self-intro:
My name is Liz, I am British but currently live in Moscow. I moved here on the first of
November and work as an English teacher. My Russian is basic at best but each word I
learn helps me to understand the problems my students face. Aside from that, I'd really
like to know what meat it is I actually buy (at the moment I buy 'mystery meat'
sausages and hope for the best) and how to ask where to buy a train ticket. I'm here
with my boyfriend who studies the language with me.

I'm self-studying at the moment but when the opportunity comes I will get a tutor to
help. I'm lucky enough to have access to Russian television, newspapers and magazines
and will make an effort to share these resources with you all.

Nice to meet you all! :D

Edited by Toffeeliz on 30 December 2012 at 10:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 2 of 37
20 December 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
I'm green with envy! What I would have given to be studying Russian in Moscow!

Oh, and you should probably not ask about the meat in the sausages :-) I suppose you know the saying that
goes along the line that "those who learn how politics and sausages are made, do not want to have anything
to do with either".

Do you use any self study material to learn Russian, or do you just learn the natural way?

Welcome to the flock of the Russian students!

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 3 of 37
20 December 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Hey Solfrid! I hope to make the most of my time here. I'll post some pictures and facts in here to help people experience Moscow and it's unique culture...including mystery meat.

I studied a bit with Russian for free, which despite it's humble name, is a great starting point for basic Russian. I've dabbled with Assimil but don't have a paper copy of my own. There is a great bookstore in Moscow called 'библио гловусь (Biblio Globus') with an impressive range of Assimil courses...except they only have the German and Spanish versions of the course! They have English versions of courses such as Arabic with Ease and French with Ease, but not the one people would want most in Russia!

Русский язык для начинающих by Юлия Овсиенко
I use this book which is ok if a little dated. It's got stress and intonation markers on every word. There are some word lists to deal with and I've not found it easy, but it looks quite compreshensive. Most importantly, it is easy to carry around.

The Vocabulary and Grammar guides from Barron's are also very useful.

Edited by Toffeeliz on 20 December 2012 at 8:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5142 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 4 of 37
20 December 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'll be following with interest. Not sure if I'm going to keep a written log, but Russian is my No. 1
language for 2013!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 5 of 37
20 December 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Just dropped by to say ‘hi’ to the second Russian team from a member of Team MIR!
(Of course, our super-efficient captain Cristina has already brought her greetings.)

I’m all for the idea of ‘sister teams’ and against the concept of ‘rival teams’: personally, I don’t thrive on competitions. So, I wish you all good luck and let’s hope we all learn a huge amount of Russian in 2013.

And who knows, maybe in a few weeks’ time we might end up as a single, big, happy team.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5588 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 6 of 37
20 December 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!
Удачи!

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 7 of 37
21 December 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
@Khublei - thanks for popping by! Good luck with your Russian studies. If you do write a log, we'll be sure to follow!

@Emme - 'sister teams' it is! I just didn't want to assume anything. Feeling a little lost at the moment, my first time doing TAC. I've been reading past TACs to see how everyone organises these. I think the possibility of us becoming a single team is quite high at the moment - heres to learning as much as possible!

@Anya - спасибо!

Edited by Toffeeliz on 21 December 2012 at 9:55am

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 8 of 37
21 December 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

I'm very happy about the fact that somebody finally has started the team thread for the second Russian team (I
didn't want to do so since I haven't got any TAC experience and this will be my first year taking part in one).

Intro:

My name is Bruno, and I am a fifteen-year-old student from Austria. I started learning Russian three weeks ago so
it is on a very modest level (currently I'm trying to master the alphabet as well as to learn the personal pronouns
and some basic words and constructions). However, I'll focus on Spanish next year so I don't have very high goals -
I want to achieve a good A1 or a low A2 so-to-say.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version