Diglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 161 of 189
26 March 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
We'll be glad to have you back whenever you're ready!

I figured it's time to tackle some of the oral challenges.

Here's #24: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-24-intro

And #9: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-9-yesterday

#10: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-10-today

# 17: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-17-tomorrow

I found this rather finicky, unfortunately. It was easy to make the account and everything but i kept having technical
difficulties! Sometimes it only recorded static, or when i went to play it back it was glitchy and repeating stuff. But
that meant i got to redo them over and over and they got better and better and more comfortable/planned out. The
last one, however, (#17) was only my second try on that topic so it should be a pretty accurate representation of my
speaking skills. I can spot a few mistakes in it and it doesn't flow very well. If i had done it again it would have been
a bit better but i forced myself to put it up anyways =P

Those four challenges plus the to-do list i posted a little while ago put me at 20, right?

Edited by Emily96 on 26 March 2013 at 3:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5767 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 162 of 189
26 March 2013 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
It seems like a lot of forum members are having a rough start to the year. Maybe it's because it is 2013.

Yep, that! Also, my bad luck in having gotten stuck slaving away involuntarily in a Thraxian dilithium mine for the past several months.   Although the hours were oppressively long, at least the working conditions were abysmal and dangerous. This is mostly though not entirely behind me now.

Teeny tiny slight change in my Romulan plans: I have decided to temporarily shelve French and begin studying Spanish. This very considerably amps up the French mime concern to "threat level midnight" (the highest level, according to Micheal Scott, my touchstone for such matters).

My family has settled on plans to travel in late July for one week to Mexico, our very first visit to that country, to participate in our friend's celebration of their 20th anniversary and their daughter's 15th birthday "quinceaƱera". I am hoping to work up some very very basic touristy Spanish before heading down, just for fun. Not entirely sure of my approach, perhaps some or all of the following if possible:

BBC's Mi Vida Loca - 22 video lessons, I have worked through episodio una to try it out, it's a lot of fun and well-produced.

FSI Spanish Programmatic Course, Volume 1 - 25 units - I tried the first unit, learned the Spanish words for potato and Dad and the difference between them. At this rate, will learn 50 words by the end of Volume 1 of the course (hopefully, these include how to ask for cerveza and where one may find the bathroom, which realistically is all I am expecting to achieve).

Michel Thomas, Spanish Foundation, 10 discs approx one hour long

I'll take a look at Destinos as well, time and interest permitting.

Edited by Spanky on 26 March 2013 at 4:22am

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5767 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 163 of 189
26 March 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:

Those four challenges plus the to-do list i posted a little while ago put me at 20, right?

Congratulations you proletarian!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 164 of 189
26 March 2013 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
[QUOTE=Brun Ugle]

FSI Spanish Programmatic Course, Volume 1 - 25 units - I tried the first unit, learned the Spanish words for potato and Dad and the difference between them. At this rate, will learn 50 words by the end of Volume 1 of the course (hopefully, these include how to ask for cerveza and where one may find the bathroom, which realistically is all I am expecting to achieve).

I'm on lesson 14 and so far no cerveza, which is probably a good thing because there haven't been any bathrooms either.

There has, however, been a party and we've learned how to ask if someone is married or single. We've also learned how to say, "Drop dead!" Another useful phrase since you will probably hear it a lot if you go around asking people if they are single. (Particularly if they aren't, or if your wife hears you.)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 165 of 189
26 March 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Congratulations to our new proletarian!

I will be trying a few challenges as soon as I get back after Easter. I'm tired of being a slave.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 166 of 189
27 March 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Hooray!! I will admit that i had to look up the word proletarian, but now I will cherish my days as a member of the
working class until i become a land-owning citizen. (I had to look that up too).

Spanky i assure you that you will find Spanish much easier to learn than french. I sure did.

I'd like to update that i'm planning to do a one week challenge in portuguese! If you haven't seen the thread yet, it
is: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30386&PN=1&TPN=8

And i'll be starting a new one about my week once i have time.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4415 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 167 of 189
27 March 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Romulans, after a long period of being completely occupied with school work, I'm finally
able to continue with my studies! Two weeks holidays should give me enough time to get me
back into a solid routine. I'll pop by some of your logs to catch up on your progress, I
hope you're all doing much better than I have been :)

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4413 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 168 of 189
27 March 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
I figured it's time to tackle some of the oral challenges.

I planned to do some oral challenges as well after I received the corrections of my first
written challenge, but I still haven't found the time to do that :/

2013 or not, March was a quite hectic month for me. First I was hit with a nasty
flu, then I was very busy with IRL stuff so I only managed to listen to the news and keep
up with Assimil lessons. I still haven't properly started to work on Spanish, though.
Since I might take the DELE C2 exam after all, I will begin to look for specific C1/C2
level resources. I did collect quite a few links for Spanish back when I was at
university, but those texts are too easy for me now.

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version