Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 33 of 203
10 April 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Now for a quick quarter update:

Norwegian:
- 1st quarter: Not satisfied at all. Although I have gotten used to the intonation, I
feel ashamed of the little amount of time spent on it, and feel bad toward my awesome
Viking teammates.
- 2nd quarter: I hope to finally be able to read easy articles or say that I speak it a
bit. I will rely on that Anki deck, twitter and lang-8 for that.

Japanese:
- 1st quarter: kept it to a good level and got to a level where I can switch with
Korean without mixing them up anymore (I could before but only with English, French and
Spanish). I've also finished my first book, started a new one and gotten more at ease
with kanjis
- 2nd quarter: I hope to start getting a good grasp of the JLPT N1 vocabulary, get a
handle on difficult kanjis. I also wish to start writing on Lang-8 on specific topics.

Korean:
- 1st quarter: really proud of it actually. It got me back into a state of mind where I
can't imagine a day without anything related to it. My accent has gotten better, my
grammar and vocabulary did too.
- 2nd quarter: I want to go on like that, but start focus more on the TOPIK vocabulary
and reading more and more articles.

Chinese:
- 1st quarter: Not proud of the start but it is getting better. I have gotten really
used to the intonation (I mean hearing it) and can get many words when hearing them. I
just need to know their meaning.
- 2nd quarter: Continue getting better. The point would be to be able to have pretty
much any mundane conversation by the end of this quarter. By that time, being able to
read small novels or articles would be a must.

Edited by yuhakko on 10 April 2013 at 8:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 34 of 203
17 April 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying well this week.

Norwegian: Wrote 3-4 times on Twitter (and about to do so one more time) and continued
to work through my Anki deck. --> good enough

Japanese: continued working on my JLPT N1 vocab deck, wrote a few times on twitter and
read about 5 pages of Kafka on the Shore. --> Should have read a newspaper article
and read a bit more, but alright

Korean: Continued studying the TOPIK intermediate vocab (and started the Advanced, but
doing only 3 words a day from the list), continued practicing. I haven't read any 논문
but should do it today.. I did watch 2 hours of The Voice of Korea too --> Can do
better. Should read more

Chinese: Worked through the HSK3 vocab deck (15 words a day because I already know
most), wrote 3-4 times on Weibo and 5-6 times on twitter, listened to radio (music and
shows), and talked in chinese through comments on Weibo with friends --> Quite
satisfied but should talk more

Conclusion:
- I'm actually wondering whether I should register for the HSK4 instead of the 3
because I already know most of the vocabulary. However, when it comes to listening, I
have difficulties since I know the characters but not always their pronunciations..
- Regarding Japanese, I don't know which difficult topic I should talk about with my
flatmate and I'm out of idea as to which movie to watch. Any idea?

Edited by yuhakko on 17 April 2013 at 4:11pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 35 of 203
25 April 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
A new weekly update with a few good news!

Norwegian: Continued doing my Anki, copied all my tweets on Lang-8 to get
feedback and studied it and wrote only once on twitter (but I will do once more today).
I also started using something called "Language Immersion for Google" in Norwegian.
When I read stuff in English, some words are put in Norwegian instead. --> Good
enough. Some progress which will continue with that new extension I use I think

Japanese: Super proud of myself this week! As usual, I did my anki; but I also
watched (for the second time 明日のジョー). Furthermore, as said in the Asian team
thread, I did April's challenge by having a good talk with my flatmate's parents and it
was a really good experience. And then, this weekend, I studied Japanese as a whole
(things here and there, but I can't recall exactly what). The turning point was tuesday
(no class) when I spent a full day studying languages. I read about 15-20 articles in
Japanese from 読売新聞 checking the vocabulary, and I read about 10 yesterday and
today. I caught up on the earthquake in China and I could feel some words started to
stick. I read a bit also about the fact that some people went to the 靖国神社 and some
other International affairs. --> Awesome. I did some real progress and I think I
will continue reading the articles because I find it interesting. Now I just need to
get back into the book as well

Korean: Spoke a lot of Korean (and had awesome 김치찌개,삼겹살,불고기,그리고 다른
음식), did my anki as usual; but also read 2 entertainment articles in Korean tuesday,
2 논문, and watch half of a movie without subs. --> Good week, but the articles made
me realize I've got a long way to go...

Chinese: Like Japanese, really proud of my week because I actually read a full
30-pages long short story from my reader. Even though I had some trouble with
pronunciation (was reading out loud at the same time as the audio) and probably missed
a few things, but I did understand the storyline and some details. I also watched 4
episodes from a Taiwanese drama and worked a lot on my HSK3 vocab list. Furthermore, I
put all my tweets on Lang-8 and studied the correction, and talked with some friends on
Weibo through comments. -->Like Japanese, awesome week. I will try to read the
second story before may, watch a few episodes and go on tweeting and posting on
Weibo

Others:
- Read on a daily basis every new post on everybody's logs.
- I've decided to stay with the HSK3. I really want to be able to show that on my
resume for my next internship (that I will try to do in China probably) and it's better
to just have HSK3 than failing the HSK4 and having nothing.
- I've started again doing some trumpet once every 2 days more or less(I played for 14
years but haven't played since pretty much March 2012...)
- I've also restarted doing some sports during which I listen to Language podcasts,
TTMIK Iyagis and Language techniques.
- And last but not least, OneEye's post on his log and his website actually made want
to try out what he call "chorusing" to improve my accent, and also I'm back to
considering trying out the Mass sentence method from Glossika. I've considered it many
times but never actually tried. I was willing to try with Norwegian but I can't seem to
find any phrasebook other than just travelling.. And it's pretty much the same for
other languages I'd like to try too (Indonesian or Thai).
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 36 of 203
02 May 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
So here goes April's monthly update:

Norwegian:
- Write at least 10 times on twitter. : Failed, only done 4-5 times
- Write at least 3 times on Lang-8 : Failed, only done once
- Continue the Anki deck : Success

Japanese:
- Continue my JLPT N1 anki deck. : Success
- Do some Kanjibox a few times: Success (but haven’t done it for 1-2weeks)
- Read at least once a week the news : Biggest success (reading at least 10/day)
- Watch 2-3 new movies (without subs of course) : only one but no need right now for
this kind of listening practice.
- Read 50 pages at least of Kafka on the Shore : Failed, only 5 pages read
- Have one discution in Japanese with my flatmate on a "hard" topic (April's challenge)
: Success but instead of my flatmate, it was with my flatmate’s parents.

Korean:
- Continue practicing: Success
- Listen to radio shows sometimes: really sometimes
- Read some more 논문: Read 4-5. Should read more
- Study 1 advancedkorean article and add the hanjas to anki: Read half an article but
added the hanjas
- continue studying the intermediate topik vocab: Success

Chinese:
- Finish the HSK 3 vocabulary list: Read it fully once and halfway through it now.
- Take one mock exam for the HSK 3: couldn’t find any.. any help?
- Read some articles in easy Chinese: Success, but for reading a 30-pages-long story
from my reader, not for reading articles
- Write on Weibo, 3 times per week at least: Success in a way: periods (either writing
a lot or almost nothing)
- Start talking again in Chinese with friends on Weixin on a more regular basis.
(April's challenge): Kinda success (had a talk through comments), but not regular
enough

All:
- Never stop reading logs (and start commenting): Success but not commenting much for
now..
- Get a perfectly livable routine: Definite success
- Try to do some meditation again (bonus): Not done

Conclusion:
It was the kind of month I was looking for. Since the beginning of the year, I had
trouble to set up a routine but I think this month really helped in that way.
Considering I still have many things going on with school, searching for an internship,
going out with my exchange friends (soon going back..). So as a result I cannot spend
as much time as I wish on languages.

As for the objectives for next month:
Norwegian: (same objectives pretty much)
- Go on with anki,
- Write about 10 times on twitter
- Write once more on lang-8

Korean:
- Go on with Anki and the TOPIK vocab
- Read some more 논문
- Do a few hanja cards
- Read 1 or 2 articles

Japanese:
- Continue the JLPT N1 vocab
- Do a few Kanjis
- Continue reading the newspapers (読売新聞 and started 日経 2 days ago but I'd like to
read more this one)
- Read at least a chapter of Kafka

Chinese:
- Be totally ready for the HSK level 3 (so, continue anki and do some mock tests)
- Read one more story from the reader
- Finish the vocab from the NPCR 1 and do half of the 2nd book's vocab on FluentU
- Write on weibo every 2 days top.
- (Finally) start having (at least) weekly discutions in chinese

All: Make this month an even better one!

Edit: How do you put colors in a post..? I had some but it disappeared

Edited by yuhakko on 02 May 2013 at 2:59pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 37 of 203
02 May 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
(COLOR=#08298A)안녕하세요 여러분(/COLOR)

replace () with []. # plus an html colour code gets you the colour you want to use

When you click "quote" underneath a post, you're shown the formatting, so you can always check if you want to know how it works.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 38 of 203
03 May 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Perfect! Thanks for the tip, from now on, my updates are going to get more beautiful!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 39 of 203
07 May 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I've suscribed for the 6wc with Chinese since I will most certainly take the HSK
3 on the 16 of June and it seems I am still far from the level required. I've decided
however that the next one will be for Norwegian. I have done much yet in
Norwegian and that saddens me.

Those few days haven't been really full of study. I went to Mont Saint Michel sunday
and to a town called Fécamp yesterday. Furthermore, I will be leaving for 4 days to
Barcelona starting tomorrow evening. And since during this time I won't be able to look
for an internship at all, I'll probably spend most of my day taking care of that.
However, I have put a lot of talking and will do some more considering that my trips
are with foreigners: Sunday I heard a lot of Chinese, spoke it a bit and spoke a bit of
Japanese and Korean too; Yesterday I spent my whole day talking in Korean and starting
tomorrow, I will of course talk quite a bit in Spanish (I use it almost daily but it
always with South American so the accent and speed of speech are different so..).

Anyway, let's do a small update before leaving:
Norwegian: I've written twice on twitter after reading the full
first chapter of På Vei (which I checked out after reading a post on Marya's blog and
seeing her videos). I found this book to be quite nice but I actually spent some time
searching where was the explanation in English before figuring out it was all in
Norwegian. As a result, I need to have a dictionary available when I want to work on
it, but it also makes me be more concentrated. I've also found a website where you can
do some exercises related to the chapters from the book. I just started today doing the
one for chapter one. I'll try to do chapter 2 before leaving for Barcelona.

Korean: I just continued with Anki and did a lot of practice
through Kakaotalk and real-life conversation. Nothing really precise actually.

Japanese: I continued reading articles but could not read any
yesterday and sunday for lack of time. I am going to read some today though. I should
also put some new words for the JLPT N1 in my Anki but for lack of time, I think I'll
just use barcelona for assimilating better the words I already have in there. I will
also take my book to Barcelona and with a bit of luck, I'll read a bit (but I doubt it
since we're going as a group of 70 people..).

Chinese: I continued working through my Anki decks and watching
my taiwanese drama. It's not really that good but that gives me the listening practice
I lack. I've also written on Twitter and Weibo where I also talked through comments in
Chinese with some friends. I also did the same through Facebook where, after putting a
proverb in Chinese (失败是成功之母), I had a lot of responses and most of them being in
Chinese, I answered in my usual broken Chinese.

I actually have a question that could decide whether I will
actually do this HSK3 in a month: I've come to understand that the HSK 3 is listening,
reading and writing (I realised that yesterday evening, but I checked the questions and
it could be alright). However, I've also found places where they say the HSK 3 includes
an oral part as well. If that's the case I'd rather not take the test because I know my
speaking skills are more than horrible (When I try to speak to someone, I start to
mix/forget tones...). Anybody who could enlighten me?

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 40 of 203
29 May 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
So here we go for the montly update. I haven't updated since I went to Barcelona so a
lot has happened. The goals for next month will come right in the next post!

Norwegian:
- Go on with anki: Stopped the deck I was doing (too boring, could not motivate myself)
- Write about 10 times on twitter : Only about 3-4 times I think and it was at the
beginning only
- Write once more on lang-8: None..
However, I watched a movie (Oslo, 31 August) , started working through På vei slowly
(currently chapter 2), started watching a serie (Dag) in Norwegian subtitled but at
episode 4 could only find Norwegian subs so I’m working through it (currently
understood half with my knowledge of Norwegian and Google trad). My goals and way of
studying totally changed for the better during the month. I actually get some
structured study now.

Korean:
- Go on with Anki and the TOPIK vocab: Missed some days but caught up
- Read some more 논문: One or two only
- Do a few hanja cards: None yet. I will start that when I start my internship
- Read 1 or 2 articles: None
Studied some grammar seriously for this month’s challenge and found it useful so I
will try to continue and do so regularly. I’m also starting to feel my Korean
“evolve” in a sense. I have been able to hold a convo for a while already but I am
starting to use more accurate words and grammar. Unfortunately, in less than a month my
Korean girlfriend will leave and we’ve decided not to try the long distance (both of
us having failed once or twice). I will keep in touch but obviously way less and I also
won’t feel like asking her about Korean when we will Skype…

Japanese:
- Continue the JLPT N1 vocab: Stopped adding for about 2 weeks but just it allowed me
to get a better feel of the ones I didn’t fully understand.
- Do a few Kanjis: Did none but saw some new ones here and there in the newspapers.
- Continue reading the newspapers (読売新聞 and started 日経 2 days ago but I'd like to
read more this one): I was going strong at the beginning of the month (like 10-15
articles per day more or less) but my trip to Spain killed that. I haven’t read for
the past week. Will try to start that again asap.
- Read at least a chapter of Kafka: Read 2 and a half. I just started reading again a
few days back in order to get myself ready for the challenge.
Looking at the update, it looks like I haven’t done much, but I still feel this
month was useful. First of all, reading the newspapers has gotten easier. But most
importantly, I've been consistent with my studies, varying the topics, skills I study
(Convos, Reading, Listening [to the NHK radio], Writing sometimes with long-time
friends).

Chinese:
- Be totally ready for the HSK level 3 (so, continue anki and do some mock tests):
Finished the HSK3 vocab list and working from the A1 level on Chinese Grammar Wiki
(currently halfway through A2). I’ve done a few grammar points for the challenge too
and will do more and more because it was really helpful.
- Read one more story from the reader: Didn’t do it…
- Finish the vocab from the NPCR 1 and do half of the 2nd book's vocab on FluentU:
Forgot about that…
- Write on weibo every 2 days top: Haven’t written for a while but going everyday to
check my friends’ tweet.
- (Finally) start having (at least) weekly discussions in Chinese: Big fail here… I
did talk quite a few times with a friend who had some troubles. Quite hard but
definitely worth it.
First of all, the bad news: I was trusting too much my memory and thought the
deadline to register was the 20th but then on the 19th when I checked more in details,
it turned out to be 18th.. So I won’t be doing it. On the good side, Chinese is back
in my everyday schedule: I watch something in Chinese every day, check Weibo every day,
do my Anki regularly too. Furthermore, in about 2-3 weeks I should be back in Paris for
a while and will be able to go to the Polyglot Café to practice my languages and most
specifically my Chinese!

All: Make this month an even better one!: I don’t know if it was a “better”
one, but it sure was a good one!

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version