alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 21
22 December 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I will list some in 2012, as I did not see them mentioned in the forum.

Modern Standard Arabic
Punjabi
Castillian Spanish

I know Finnish and Pashto II were released earlier.

I have been looking to see which ones are coming out 2013, but the Simon and Schuster website is not as easy to navigate like before.

Anyway these are the programs I have somewhat found information on. All comprehensive.

French IV
Italian IV
Dari II

If anyone else can add to it, please list it down. Customer service from my experience do not really know what upcoming titles are to be released, so I do not ask them anymore.

Edited by alang on 24 December 2012 at 12:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 21
22 December 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Please tell us a bit about the "Pimsleur Comprehensive" programme. I'll look on the
website myself, but as you said, it's not easy to navigate, and others looking here will
find it helpful if you could tell us what you know about the programme.

GeddyMX
United States
Joined 4755 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 21
23 December 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I have listened to Pimsleur's Pashto and Dari thru the USO - what a complete waste of time! Anyone interested in learning these languages, I'd advise you to spend the 15 hrs elsewhere.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 4 of 21
23 December 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 

@GeddyMX,

If you feel the Pimsleur products for Pashto and Dari are not worth, can you list why you think it is a waste of time and the cons about them?

Would you be able to list specific recommendations, instead of informing others to look elsewhere?
They might not know where to start looking and it would be nice for a sense of direction.

Thanks.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 21
24 December 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Please tell us a bit about the "Pimsleur Comprehensive" programme. I'll look on the
website myself, but as you said, it's not easy to navigate, and others looking here will
find it helpful if you could tell us what you know about the programme.

Pimsleur Comprehensive is just a rebranding for the existing Pimsleur courses. Even courses which only have level 1 (i.e. 30 lessons) are called Comprehensive now. Hence, Pimsleur Comprehensive Czech, for example, is simply a new name for the old Pimsleur 1 Czech course of thirty half hour lessons. There are no additional levels available for that language.

For some languages, of course, there are additional levels 2 and 3 (and in some languages a level 4) which, again, have in many cases existed for a long time. Each level adds around 30 extra lessons (around half an hour each). For some languages, alas, the Level 4 is actually a rebranded "Plus" extension course, which adds fewer than 30 lessons. For example, Level 4 French is simply the old French Plus level, which adds 10 lessons specific to the publishing industry. Again, these addition levels have all been rebranded as part of the Comprehensive courses.

So, why the rebranding? Simply because Pimsleur has been doing a marketing campaign in recent years claiming that you can "learn a language in 10 days". Of course, existing courses lasted at least 30 days, so the claim had a problem (despite it being nonsense, of course).

So, they produced a cut down version, which contains the first 10 lessons of the 30 lessons in a Level 1 course. This became knows as the Basic course. Adding to the confusion, Pimsleur got carried away and decided to offer a cut down version of the Basic course, including just the first 8 lessons. This is called Quick and Simple.

Oh, and Pimsleur has tried this before, since for some languages the first 16 lessons of Level 1 have long been, and are still, available in a bundle called Conversational.

Presumably, each of these cut down courses are intended to compel people to buy the more expensive Comprehensive Course. Indeed, the cut down courses each come with a coupon for $50 or $100 discount when "upgrading" to Level 1 of the Comprehensive Course.

Edited by Splog on 24 December 2012 at 7:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6175 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 21
24 December 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

@GeddyMX,

If you feel the Pimsleur products for Pashto and Dari are not worth, can you list why you think it is a waste of time and the cons about them?

I agree. It would also be helpful if you tell us your general opinion of Pimsleur since for every person on this forum that likes Pimsleur there seems to be at least one or more that hates it.

Edited by newyorkeric on 24 December 2012 at 8:21am

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 7 of 21
24 December 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

Pimsleur Comprehensive is just a rebranding for the existing Pimsleur courses. Even courses which only have level 1 (i.e. 30 lessons) are called Comprehensive now. Hence, Pimsleur Comprehensive Czech, for example, is simply a new name for the old Pimsleur 1 Czech course of thirty half hour lessons. There are no additional levels available for that language.

For some languages, of course, there are additional levels 2 and 3 (and in some languages a level 4) which, again, have in many cases existed for a long time. Each level adds around 30 extra lessons (around half an hour each). For some languages, alas, the Level 4 is actually a rebranded "Plus" extension course, which adds fewer than 30 lessons. For example, Level 4 French is simply the old French Plus level, which adds 10 lessons specific to the publishing industry. Again, these addition levels have all been rebranded as part of the Comprehensive courses.

So, why the rebranding? Simply because Pimsleur has been doing a marketing campaign in recent years claiming that you can "learn a language in 10 days". Of course, existing courses lasted at least 30 days, so the claim had a problem (despite it being nonsense, of course).

So, they produced a cut down version, which contains the first 10 lessons of the 30 lessons in a Level 1 course. This became knows as the Basic course. Adding to the confusion, Pimsleur got carried away and decided to offer a cut down version of the Basic course, including just the first 8 lessons. This is called Quick and Simple.

Oh, and Pimsleur has tried this before, since for some languages the first 16 lessons of Level 1 have long been, and are still, available in a bundle called Conversational.

Presumably, each of these cut down courses are intended to compel people to buy the more expensive Comprehensive Course. Indeed, the cut down courses each come with a coupon for $50 or $100 discount when "upgrading" to Level 1 of the Comprehensive Course.

@Splog,

You are spot on in some of your information, but some corrections are needed. The comprehensive IV is an additional 30 lessons and thus overall 120 lessons from I-IV. The 10 lesson plus is being phased out. Comprehensive Spanish IV has been released for a while and the Comprehensive French IV and Italian IV are being released in 2013.
I see the confusion for the Plus and the idea of IV, as it was marketed as the same before.

I did predict over a year ago about the phasing out of the pluses and only German plus will be left. I feel that will eventually be gone also. The learn a language in 10 days, is by a reseller named Pimsleur Approach. They are not the actual company of Pimsleur. It is a good thing too, as the reseller, has a bad reputation in charging people for products not ordered, fine prints and such. You can even search the internet for complaints and reviews of this reseller. There are plenty of negative reviews about them.

Steve Kaufmann made a video review on Pimsleur and also lumped the learn a language in 10 days together, as if it was something officially done by the company. Pimsleur Approach is doing a disservice to the Pimsleur brand by making outrageous claims.
3 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 8 of 21
31 December 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Here is a description of Italian IV:

"Italian IV, Comprehensive

A new 30-unit course designed to be completed after Italian Level III (replaces Italian Plus 10-unit course).

Thirty 30-minute lessons totaling 15 hours of spoken Italian language learning. Plus one hour of Reading Lessons designed to expand your vocabulary, and give you practice reading and hearing Italian.

Builds upon skills taught in Pimsleur's Italian Levels I to III. You'll be speaking and understanding Italian with near-fluency and with a broad range of conversational skills. In Level IV, the pace and conversation moves more rapidly, accelerating exposure to new vocabulary and structures, and approaching native speed and comprehension.

You’ll learn to speak about your profession, needs, likes and dislikes, and to create complex sentences discussing the past, present and future.

Main topics of Italian IV include:

Work-related travel: meetings, projects, conferences, and appointments.

Accommodations: reserving a room, inquiring about amenities, including wireless, getting help with luggage, asking about restaurant options and schedules.

Shopping: trying on and buying various items of clothing, asking for colors and sizes, buying gifts and souvenirs, going to the market.

Vacationing: going to the beach and swimming pool, exploring options for local activities and sightseeing, water sports, biking, horseback riding, skiing, taking a walk, talking about sports.

Family and friends: conversing informally with and about friends and extended family, talking informally about everyday situations.

Small talk: expressing opinions, wishes, and stating views; asking how someone is feeling, telling stories about people or places.

Weather: describing types of weather: rainy, windy, sunny, humid.

Speak with a natural-sounding, near-native accent. No mindless repetition! Converse with native speakers in natural and useful conversations at a high-intermediate level.

Easy, fast, fun and effective – We guarantee satisfaction and a measurable level of spoken proficiency (rules and regulations apply, see http://www.pimsleur.com/Proficiency-Guarantee for more details). Learn anytime, anywhere. No computer necessary!"

It is the same description, as the French IV, just replace the name Italian. The description here indicates near fluency, but at a high intermediate level. Pimsleur does not guarantee nor promise advance level to actual fluency. Near native accent is somewhat accurate, but who knows from where?
I do not think it will stop resellers from misleading people, but it can at least inform some members to differentiate between the two.

Edited by alang on 31 December 2012 at 10:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version