alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 9 of 21
18 March 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 

Mandarin IV is coming out ending of October 2013.
German IV is coming out mid December 2013.

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 21
19 March 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
More:

Spanish IV has been out since November 2010
Italian IV is coming March 26
French IV is coming out August 27

I like Pimsleur ... when I can find affordable copies. I'm looking forward to the
reviews when more Level IV courses come out. I might give the Spanish a shot this
summer.

3 persons have voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5898 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 21
05 April 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Regarding which Pimsleur courses are which: Many years ago I purchased Barnes & Noble Instant Conversation Japanese for about $40 USD. It is a Pimsleur Course with 18 lessons and an instruction lesson. But it is packaged in a Barnes & Noble box with different cover art. I know that they had French in a similar package, too. As far as I can tell, these are the same first 18 lessons of the regular Pimsleur course. (It doesn't seem like a bargain to me any more, but back then I had more disposable income...) Just by coincidence, about a week ago I decided to re-listen to my Japanese starter set.

As I've said before, Pimsleur is wonderful for beginning a new language. Particularly if you have NO prior knowledge of that language... And especially if you can get it for free at your library. Its main advantage, in my opinion, is focus on pronunciation from the beginning. I don't see that it could possibly take you very far to fluency, but it will get the sounds of the language into your brain. I'm not their biggest fan, but it is a good tool for a beginner - just don't expect too much.

For those interested: you can sample some lessons at Pimsleur's website, but you need to sign in with an e-mail address. www.pimsleur.com

-RB

P.S. Does anyone else get a bunch of Pimsleur commercials when they surf the internet? Or is it just me? :-)

:wq!
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 12 of 21
05 April 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I've found that doing both Pimsleur I & II gives you an excellent conversational base.
True, it's not a broad one, but it is a strong one.

The 8-pack and 18-pack don't go far enough, and there isn't enough reinforcement for
the method to work, and to me they just leave you dangling. Even Pimsleur I by itself
just isn't quite enough.

Pimsleur III is, as one reviewer put it, more like "Pimsleur II-B."

Pimsleur Plus (the old 4) - Good riddance, and RIP.

1 person has voted this message useful

kovajätkä
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4059 days ago

3 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 21
05 April 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Here are my two cents on how to get Pimsleur totally legally and ethically for a good price:

Buy a year-long (12-credit) option from them and use those credits to purchase the Pimsleur programs for your
language. Audible may not have every language, but they have lots. Each level is 5 credits - each credit is generally
$15, but if you buy them in bulk (12 or 24 at a time) the cost for each level would be around $60 as opposed to
$200. You can even download the "readings" from the Pimsleur webpage.

Edited by kovajätkä on 06 April 2013 at 8:58am

4 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 14 of 21
11 October 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 

It seems German IV is being released October,29 2013 and the Chinese IV has been pushed
to January, 07 2014. I saw a similar delay before with Turkish I when the release date
was changed about three times in the same year.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 15 of 21
11 October 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I did the Spanish IV, and liked it a lot. There was about a five-lesson run where it
felt too simple for me, as if we were back in Pimsleur I, but overall I thought it was
the best in the series. The language was more modern, and there were no long dull
stretches like in the other series.

They play around a lot more with sentences with multiple tenses, which is very useful.
My main complaint is that we need more time with the subjunctive.

I also started French IV, but am going to hold off on it until I have a trip to a
French-speaking country. At this point I use Pimslur to trigger my conversational
skills, not to further my understanding of a language.

And using credits on audible.com makes it affordable.
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3969 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 16 of 21
11 October 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
It is the same description, as the French IV, just replace the name Italian. The description here indicates near fluency, but at a high intermediate level. Pimsleur does not guarantee nor promise advance level to actual fluency. Near native accent is somewhat accurate, but who knows from where?

It's worth mentioning that "high-intermediate" on the ACTFL scale is actually only the top end of A2 on the CEF, which would be referred to as elementary by most textbook publishers. I really enjoy Pimsleur, but it definitely doesn't get you to anything approaching advanced level as I would recognise it. Excited for German 4 though.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 11 October 2013 at 7:43pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version