Groupie
Germany
Joined 4847 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 17 of 79
22 December 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
For German, I must achieve a C2 standard, for as you have described your relationship with Spanish, German is 'part of who I am'. I love it. I'm a B2/early C1 standard now, and I don't mind how long it takes for me to achieve the C2, but I will achieve it, and sit the exam eventually.

For Italian, I'd be happy with a C1 standard, though I enjoy it so much that I might want to push that bit further in the future. With French, I am hopeless, so if I ever achieve a B2 I will be very happy! Russian? I'm not sure, I don't feel I will ever have a lot of opportunity to learn it, so a B2 is the aim - in 2 or 3 years!
Irish - I will just keep chipping away.

Edited by Laurae on 22 December 2012 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 18 of 79
22 December 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Although I wouldn't even mention an A2 language, I'd start saying I speak a language when I reach a B1-B2
conversational level. Whether that's satisfactory or not will depend on my goals for that specific language and
the way I use it; what is satisfactory at one point may no longer be so at another.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 79
22 December 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
Right now, I would assess myself as a B2 in German, using the guide that emk has posted. Although, if Solfrid Cristin assesses herself at a B1, I might need to rethink that classification!

You lost me. Why would me assessing myself as B1 have any influence on how you assess yourself? :-)

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 20 of 79
22 December 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
although I quite resemble solfrid cristins initial comment, 19, still for all intents and purposes a basic user of any
foreign language I can use, however, I have no doubt I have the discipline to continue learning my languages, ...

while a so called A2 polyglot is by no means a polyglot at all, its a step along the way, and my initial goal... after
which I will push to more advanced things, which I can already feel my japanese going into a more advanced style of
learning... ive been spending less time on Teach Yourself and Pimsleur japanese, and Im going to japanese websites,
reading authentic material regardless of my ability to understand it, and skipping the subtitles on whatever I watch
[and to my delightful surprise, I can understand more than I expected], and I have friends in japan whom I can
frequently email, and converse with on Skype :D

so yes, I am scratching the surface so far, Im the part of the Iceberg that could be seen from the titanic, but im not
stopping...

so to answer your question, right now ive only scratched the surface of japanese, and Im still not even on the map
with Spanish, but for both of those plus mandarin I will not be satisfied until I reach at least a C1 in those, and I will
be ecstatic if I can go even farther... but I also have interests in other languages [but for lesser reasons] like thai
where I would be quite satisfied with an A2 ability
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 79
22 December 2012 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
Right now, I would assess myself as a B2 in German, using the guide that emk has posted. Although, if Solfrid Cristin assesses herself at a B1, I might need to rethink that classification!

You lost me. Why would me assessing myself as B1 have any influence on how you assess yourself? :-)
...Because of our general impression of your level in German?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 79
23 December 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
Right now, I would assess myself as a
B2 in German, using the guide that emk has posted. Although, if Solfrid Cristin assesses herself at a B1, I
might need to rethink that classification!

...Because of our general impression of your level in German?

I always sound like I know more than I actually do, which sometimes gets me into trouble. Many years ago I
was given a scholarship to The University of Warsaw. We were given a placement test, and although I knew
next to no Polish, since all I had had were some evening classes, I managed to get myself into a class with
people who had studied Polish in German universities for four years, or who were half Polish, or had lived in
Poland. Now obviously, that went down the drains, since although I had done really well at the placement
test, I did not know 10% of what the other guys did. So trust me, if I say I am a B1, I am a B1, but that does
not mean that someone who has the impression that I know a lot, is not B2.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6248 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 23 of 79
23 December 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Good enough really depends on the language. For now, my Romanian is 'good enough' - I'd be hard-pressed to say hello, but can get the gist of the written form more often than not when I encounter it. My Esperanto is C1 on a good day, and is nowhere near as good as I'd like it to be - and while I'd be over the moon today if my Japanese were as good as my Esperanto currently is, I wouldn't be content with leaving it there either.

As I think the other posts in this thread demonstrate, 'good enough' has very little to do with a particular level, and a lot to do with a person's attitudes towards languages in general, and for some people, specific languages.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 24 of 79
23 December 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
The phrase "good enough" contains two highly relative qualifiers: "good" and "enough", and perhaps herein lies the complexity of the question...

If I take just a broad skill set, for example, active speaking and writing (not disregarding the importance of other skills of course), I can say that being able to communicate anything at all through another language always feels like a mini-miracle for me. Of course it largely depends on other aspects, like the situation, content of the dialogue, environment, and audience as to whether the other parties feel this is a "good" thing too.

On the other hand, as someone always keen to dive into new languages and cultures or deepen my knowledge of them, I'm always thirsty for so much more in the learning process. So I can't quite convince myself that any skill level will ever feel like "enough", although perhaps those struggling with listening to my 2-year-old toddler attempts at Russian would quickly agree when enough's enough. ;)

Therefore I prefer to think in terms of how comfortable both I and my conversation partner feel during a dialogue (at least with respect to my language skills or lack of them), and use this as a rough guideline. Progressing beyond wild grimaces and scratching heads to a consistent and tolerable mild discomfort level depends on so many factors that it's hard to say how this aligns with the CEFR scale, but I notice that dialogue at least becomes much easier around B1+ to B2 level for both parties. So maybe this is a "good starting place"?

Edited by Teango on 23 December 2012 at 6:18am

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version