Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 79
16 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
petteri wrote:
The papers below should illustrate the level of command required to pass CEFR writing exams. The writing samples are at B2, C1 and C2 levels.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245348/Writing-samples-B2-Level
http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245351/Writing-samples-C1-Level
http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245354/Writing-samples-C2-Level

Thank you for the excellent samples!

One thing to keep in mind is that these students are writing about unfamiliar subjects, by hand, within a time limit. And they generally don't have any reference materials. When I first tried this, it was a bit of a nasty surprise—it's a lot harder than writing a post on lang-8, where you have the tools and the time to do a good job. So take this into account if you're evaluating your own writing.

But the B2 samples definitely capture the "very mediocre high school student" quality of spontaneous B2 writing. If you give those people reference materials and extra time, they could write a half-way presentable essay.

Still, my tutor would have been pretty unhappy with some of those B2 mistakes. Maybe the French care more about that sort of thing, or maybe my tutor was stricter than absolutely necessary. But if I had handed in those letters, they would have come back with a big stack of corrections and a request to do better the next time.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 66 of 79
16 January 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I read LOTR and the series by Eddings and I was soon writing much better :)

Those are EXACTLY the same books that got me into reading when I was in the 3rd grade. In that order, too. This is almost too spooky.
in what language? :) do you mean you weren't very interested in reading but then read these in Finnish? or were these your first books in English?

is Eddings popular in Finland? it was actually my friend from Oulu who recommended him to me when I mentioned LOTR, saying the translation is pretty good and that I'd probably like them :) I've never heard of him in Russia really and I don't think I've seen any books, though I've also not been looking for them.

ordered Eddings in Italian today, btw.

Edited by Serpent on 16 January 2013 at 6:05pm

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4368 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 67 of 79
17 January 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
@Serpent:
In Finnish. I've always liked reading, but I guess you could say I 'found my genre' when I read LotR the summer before 3rd grade. My first book in English was Into the Labyrinth by Weis & Hickmann a couple years after that.

Eddings used to be popular, or at least fantasy-popular. As far as my understanding goes, he was the biggest name of the 90s fantasy boom in Finland, so a lot of people around my age know him by reputation even if they've never read one of his books. He hasn't had as much success since then, and let's not forget that, in the grand scheme of things, fantasy is only a minor genre with very limited mainstream appeal (with the exception of guys like Tolkien and George R.R. Martin).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 79
17 January 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
petteri wrote:
The papers below should illustrate the level of command required to pass CEFR writing exams. The writing samples are at B2, C1 and C2 levels.

These sources are very instructive because they combine content criteria, evaluation criteria and examples at different levels (passed with flying colours, barely OK, junk). But at least for me they raised a general problem, namely whether logical structure or the lack thereof in a text always is correlated with the purely linguistical level of the author.

I do remember cases where I have had to reformulate something while writing because I couldn't find a way to express exactly the ideas I had in a certain language. This could be caused by just one missing headword in my dictionary, but also by some doubts about a certain grammatical construction. However some persons may not even be able to think and write logically in their own language, and then it may be tad unfair to blame it on their language skills.

Basically this evaluation system can't be said simply to evaluate linguistic skills - it incorporates an evaluation of the general mode (I daresay quality) of thinking of a person.

Edited by Iversen on 17 January 2013 at 10:06am

4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 79
17 January 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Basically this evaluation system can't be said simply to evaluate linguistic skills - it incorporates an evaluation of the general mode (I daresay quality) of thinking of a person.

And this is a key insight into the whole CEFRL system: these exams were never designed to tell you how closely you approximate a native speaker. Instead, the exams were designed to test what you can do with your foreign language. It's a subtle difference, but it starts to matter once you reach B2.

For example, some of the reading comprehension questions on the DELF B2 would have been slightly irritating in my native language. And I'm quite sure that many native speakers would flunk the average C2 exam, which demands university-level academic skills.

Of course, when you think of the audience for these exams, this makes perfect sense. Nobody cares whether a student's French sounds native (and certainly nobody's going to demand test scores to prove it). But various organizations do care whether the student can handle university coursework, or write a persuasive business memo.

However, there's one complicating factor here: The passing score for a CEFRL exam is often 50% or 60%. If you have native-like language skills but you can't think or write clearly, you may be able to give up lots of points and still pass them exam. Or if you're smart and well-organized, you can get by with bigger holes in your language skills.

And we shouldn't forget that organizing your thoughts in a foreign language is useful skill in and of itself.

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4557 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 70 of 79
17 January 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
petteri wrote:

The papers below should illustrate the level of command required to pass CEFR writing
exams. The writing samples are at B2, C1 and C2 levels.

Thanks for providing those samples.

It really shows why people shouldn't be grading themselves according to the CEFR scale
without having taken a test. To write at the level of the examples in that C2 sample
there takes even the most motivated person quite a long time to achieve.

I really think that the CEFR scale has been devalued by so many people making self-
assessments.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 79
17 January 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
It really shows why people shouldn't be grading themselves according to the CEFR scale
without having taken a test. To write at the level of the examples in that C2 sample

True, it's really easy to skim Wikipedia and overestimate your level. And there's no denying that C2 exams require serious language skills.

However, the Council of Europe used to publish a self-assessment checklist on their website. I've already mentioned it several times on HTLAL, because it's a fairly reasonable self-assessment tool. And this shouldn't be too surprising, because the Council of Europe actually put together the CEFRL standards in the first place.

Here are the writing criteria for C2:

Quote:
I can write well-structured and easily readable reports and articles on complex topics.    

In a report or an essay I can give a complete account of a topic based on research I have carried out, make a summary of the opinions of others, and give and evaluate detailed information and facts.

I can write a well-structured review of a paper or a project giving reasons for my opinion.      

I can write a critical review of cultural events (film, music, theatre, literature, radio, TV).

I can write summaries of factual texts and literary works.    

I can write narratives about experiences in a clear, fluent style appropriate to the genre.    

I can write clear, well-structured complex letters in an appropriate style, for example an application or request, an offer to authorities, superiors or commercial clients.

In a letter I can express myself in a consciously ironical, ambiguous and humorous way.

This is clearly not as accurate as the examples and grading instructions that petteri posted. And there's more room for self-delusion. But if you can truly "write narratives about experiences in a clear, fluent style appropriate to the genre" and produce "well-structured complex letters… to authorities, superiors or commercial clients", you're at least in the same ballpark as those C2 samples.

But alas, accurate self-assessment requires a certain amount of self-awareness. And as the Dunning-Kruger effect demonstrates, one of the root causes of incompetence may be a blindness to one's own shortcomings.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 72 of 79
17 January 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:

I really think that the CEFR scale has been devalued by so many people making self-
assessments.

I respectfully disagree. One of the founding purposes of the CEFR and one of the reasons WHY it is so valuable is
self-assessment.

See section 1.5

Access to certification exams requires significant expenditures of time and money that are not always feasible for
everyone (e.g., when taking the exam requires an intercontinental journey), but a key feature of the CEFR is that it
allows people to have a more meaningful idea of where they stand without the need for a professional certification
exam.

Furthermore, as the post just above notes, in many respects a certification exam cannot be perfect, and will
provide results that gauge things other than pure language competence, such as intelligence and education level
generally, ability at gaming tests, or in some cases sheer luck.

I'm sure we would both agree that many people have inflated ideas of how competent they are, but I don't agree
that this means we should try to discourage of eliminate self-assessment. Consider that without self-assessment
according to CEFR and similar systems, most people would instead simply be arguing ad nauseam over whether or
not they are "fluent," and we know how pointless that argument can be.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version