Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 9 of 79
22 December 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

So how about the rest of you. Do you need to be a C2 to be satisfied, is it enough with
an A2 or does it, like in my case, depend on the language?

I speak French badly but I could easily read scietific articles in French. That's why i
was satisfied.
4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 79
22 December 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Can something as complex as a language really be divided into just 6 levels?

Of course not. But I understood what Solfrid was talking about. And CEFRL levels are better than one of those Internet debates where somebody says, "Of course I'm fluent, I used to have a Spanish-speaking nanny!" and somebody else replies, "No you're not! You can't write as well as Borges, so how dare you call yourself fluent!" Better 6 imperfect levels than that accursed word "fluent".

As for me: "Good enough" is not really a concept that applies to French for me, at least right now. Maybe someday I'll get distracted or bored and settle for what I have. But it's my wife's native tongue, and I think that even if I were to pass a DALF C2 exam, I'd keep on working on it. One or the other of us will always be speaking our second language, so why should we stop trying to improve?

I may someday learn Spanish, and if I do, my goals would depend on where I was living, and how good I actually needed my Spanish to be.

Edited by emk on 22 December 2012 at 8:37pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 79
22 December 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
I don't know, I don't *need* French for anything, I could have remained entirely monoglot and lived a perfectly nice life, so there's no outside factor pushing me to attain a certain level. I just enjoy the language, and I imagine I'll keep studying it and trying to improve at it as long as that's the case.

Edited by tastyonions on 22 December 2012 at 2:57pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 79
22 December 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
My default goal is what this forum calls advanced fluency. However, I don't mind if the high accuracy comes from the avoidance of some grammar items, as long as it's not very obvious to natives.

Interestingly, this knowing-all-the-grammar thing used to be very important for me, but then I realized that some 'easy' languages are tough in this regard. From the Romance languages, I only care about knowing all the grammar in Portuguese and maybe Romanian.

The aforementioned passive/active distinction is also important to me. Ideally I want to understand everything, or at least be at the level where everything *looks* clear - I might not actually understand some words but the reading can flow nicely without the 'sort of unfamiliar' words bothering me - for example because I've seen them already or I understand the roots and affixes in them. Now that I think about it, that's the difference between my Spanish and Italian. In the former I practically don't stumble over unfamiliar words.

Oh and if I'm not actually going to read it, I don't care about being able to understand it - like with philosophy etc.

In practical terms, my goal is to read, listen and improve. If improvement comes as a result of the first two, great. If not, I'm willing to use additional tools.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4179 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 13 of 79
22 December 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Right now, I would assess myself as a B2 in German, using the guide that emk has posted. Although, if Solfrid Cristin assesses herself at a B1, I might need to rethink that classification! Right now, B2 is very much sufficient for my purposes. I don't live in Germany, don't need to use the language actively very much, and I am generally understood without much strain. But I can't use some of the more "academic" vocabulary I'm used to using in English. It's not so much that I actually "need" to be at a much higher level, but the language is very much part of my identity now, so I really hope to someday be at the C2 range.

For Polish, I would like to hit B1 in 2013. That would be enough to have basic conversations, and as most of my communications are through e-mail and online methods, I would be able to rely on dictionaries to help me with missing vocabulary. Ideally, I would like to be around C1 someday.

1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4467 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 79
22 December 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
For me, a practical active level of language for an average, occasional speaker is somewhere around B1/B2, with much higher passive level.

Not all my language are there - I have "working" languages at C-levels and "acceptable" languages at high B2 levels. I have "fun" languages in B - range and even "throw-away" languages in A2 range. And I have languages where almost all my knowledge is passive, albeit at high levels (B/C range).

For me, the main problem is not as much reaching high level of a language. This takes time but is possible. But much more problematic is to maintain a high level in a language you don't use often - I can maintain a passive knowledge with relative ease, hold the "B-levels" without problem, but I simply don't have the time to maintain active C levels in languages I don't use either in private or in my job on regular basis. Instead, I have opted for letting these languages slide to the B levels and, if necessary, to bring them up when needed.

Would I love to have all my languages in C-range? Of course. But if I learned something from experience, it is to be very pragmatic. I have finite amount of time at my disposal and even less free time for language learning. I can either limit the number of languages (ignoring all the "throw-away" ones I learn before holidays or some of the "fun" ones I learn just because) or limit how many hours I spend on one of them.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 79
22 December 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Now I would love to be C2 in every language I study. But, to be honest I reckon I am at
A2 in French and German and been for about 2-3 years. I only have 30-45 minutes a day
for language study and that is not going to change - nor do I speak with native French
or German speakers enough to get beyond A2. Such a level may frustratingly only scratch
the surface, but it is enough for my needs (which is largely as a tourist).

Now, I wish I had better Latin - as I am a historian, it would be genuinely useful.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 79
22 December 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Same as my English, really. I never get enough. Of course I may find that at a given time I have other priorities than language learning.

Still, I want to feel comfortable with a language. I enjoy those times when I don't remember what language something I read or heard was in. I enjoy being talked to and simply answering and not having to monitor my speech because I know I speak that language reasonably well. That would mean near-native comprehension and very automatic, fluid speech ...

But I guess I'll be fine with reaching a self-sustaining level. Around B1? After reaching that level, improvement will be unavoidable as long as I get enough exposure.

Edited by Bao on 23 December 2012 at 4:11am

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version