16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 16
06 January 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Here’s what I’ve done this week.

Arabic MSA - عربي
*FSI Modern Written Arabic Volume I, lessons 1-4
In fact they contain material I’ve already learnt some time ago. But I think it’s still
better to master it through extensive drills in this book.
*Watching: Al Jazeera
I watched news broadcast not understanding much, well, sincerely speaking I was able to
catch only some words. I was able also to read some words appearing on screen. But I
think it’s really important to get early to listening.
*“A New Arabic Grammar” (Haywood, Nahmad), chapter 1: Orthography. Phonetics.
Punctuation.
It was in fact a review of some basic information about the language.

First week brought the first matter to be cleared. When some time ago I started to
learn MSA (but then stopped after a few units), I studied from “Teach Yourself Arabic”
(by J. Smart and F. Altorfer). They say that the Classical Arabic had a set of three
case endings for the nouns, but nowadays they are largely ignored. Only so-called
indefinite accusative (called accusative marker) is used because this shows in the
script.
It’s an alif attached to the end of the noun or adjective. Technically it’s accompanied
by two slashes above the preceding consonant but in practice they are usually omitted.
Example:
كتاب, كتابا (kitaab, kitaaban)
But the FSI course uses the other cases too. I asked on this forum (in the section
“Questions about your target languages) and have gotten one answer, not from a native,
but that doesn’t mean that less reliable. Here’s a part of this answer:
“The cases are used all the time in media. They are an important part of the language.
(…) Like the Arabic word for "Also" أيضا. It is always pronounced in the accusative
AjDhan, never AyDh or ayDha in MSA.”
That’s not exactly the answer. I’m aware that some words or whole phrases go always in
accusative, e.g. “ahlan wa sahlan”.

Another matter is so-called “nunation”. “TY” book doesn’t mention it at all. FSI –
does. Here’s the answer I’ve gotten to my question:
“The nunations (…) hand is not heard as often, mostly in certain words that always
carries them. (…) Certain reporters use more nunations than others, but it is never
used like in books. The ending vowels are just not as important to pronounce.”

Does anybody have more info on this? Do TV news presenters really use nunation and
cases. I don’t know the language that well yet to be able to differentiate.

French
*FSI Course, unit 15
This unit contains plenty of exercises (which I love) and a new material, inter alia on
verbs like "mettre" (admettre, commetre, émettre, omettre, permettre, prmettre,
remettre, sommettre, transmettre) and Future tense (Futur).
*Watching: France 24

Hindi - हिंदी
*Teach Yourself, unit 1
Nouns, adjectives
*Teach Yourself, units 1-4
Listening to audio recordings, listening-repeating
This is in fact a review. I studied some Hindi before, but as I had two years’ break I
really need to refresh it thoroughly. I hope at the beginning it won’t cause me any
difficulties and I will review basics quickly.

Italiano
*Watching: Rai News
*“Better Reading Italian”, chapter “Bel paese: Torino”
Simple things for the beginning and review how to create diminutives, augmentatives and
pejoratives.
New interesting phrases learnt:
fare il muso = to pout
“Tutte le volte che papà parla di fare una gita in mongatna, mia sorella si mette a
fare il muso.
fare il verso a qualcuno = to mock someone’s manner of speaking, to imitate
someone’s voice

Mia cugina Giulia non apre la bocca senza piangucolare e lamentarsi e i suoi fratelli,
che sono, dispettosi, non perdono mai un’occasione per farile il verso.

*Reading: „Putin concede la cittadinanza russa a Depardieu” (Il Giornale, 3.01.2013)
Interesting text saying that the French actor Gérard Depardieu is looking for a new
country to settle in because of the recent attempts of President Hollande to introduce
75% income tax for the most rich people in France. Text says that President Putin of
Russia don’t see any problem in receving the French actor as a Russian citizen. Indeed
an appropriate institution issued already a Russian passport for Depardieu.
Some useful phrases come with this text:
andare a tutta birra = go at full speed
fare ponti d’oro a qualcuno = offer big advantages to someone

Português
*Assimil, lessons 22-28
Reviewing Past tense, some irregular verbs, pronouns.
*Watching: RTP Internacional: Jornal da tarde and Telejornal
As a new year began, they were talking much about e.g. “orçamento” = budget
which can be “demulgado” (declared publicly), or “entrar em vigor” or someone can “pôr”
it “em vigor”. There was much talking also about “défice orçamental”. And of course of
many other things…

Swahili
*FSI Basic Course, units 41-43
*"Swahili Learners' Reference Grammar": subjunctive, static verbs

Subjunctive
Verbs ending in –a change it to –e; others keep the final vowel
Examples:
tunakula – tule / we eat, we are eating, that we ate, that we eat, that we should eat
tunanunua – tununue
tunaishi – tuishi
tunajaribu – tujaribu

It is used in subordinate clauses and some structures, like: (ni) lazima (it’s
necessary, must), tafadhali (please), afadhali (it’s better), itabidi (it’s necessary,
should); examples:
ni lazima tule = it’s necessary that we eat, we must eat
ni lazima tujaribu = it’s necessary that we try, we must try
ni lazima twende =it’s necessary that we go, we must go
unataka waende? = do you want them to go

ijapokuwa = even if, although
Example:
Ijapokuwa nitakaa nyumbani peke yangu, sitakwenda mahali popote siku ya leo.
= Even if I'm going to stay at home by myself, I won't go any place at all today.
It seems that „ijapokuwa” is used rather in written Swahili, while “ingawa” is more
frequently used in spoken language. You can also use “hata kama”.

peke y- = by oneself
peke yangu
peke yako
peke yake
peke yetu
peke yenu
peke yao

-o –ote = at all; any
mahali po pote = anywhere at all
kitu cho chote = anything at all
mtu ye yote = anyone at all
[special concord for singular animate nouns is ye]
Yeye hana nyumba yo yote. = He doesn’t have any house.
Sitaki ndizi zo zote. = I don’t want any bananas at all.

Stative (neutral) extension – Ik (ik, ek, k) saying that the subject has gotten into
some state, without saying anything about the means or agent of the action; examples:
Maji yamemwagika = Water has been / is spilled.
Baiskeli imeharibika = Bicycle has been / is broken.

Turkish
*FSI Course: unit 36 – grammar, vocabulary; units 36-38 audio
Some useful words and phrases. The most important structure “-(a, ı) r … + ma + z” = as
soon as, immediately upon; examples:
Eve gider gitmez telefon ederim. – I will call as soon as I go home.
Kitabı okur okumaz sana veririm. – As soon as I read the book I will give it to you.
Another structure: -(y)arak = as (being), by
Böyle koşarak nereye gidiyorsun? = Where are you going running like this?
Göçmen olarak Türkiye’ye gelmişler. = They came to Turkey as immigrants (reportedly).

Edited by Przemek on 07 January 2013 at 9:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 10 of 16
03 February 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Here's my report for January

Struggling – this word describes very well January as regards my learning languages.
After an extremely good start at the beginning of the year, my motivation slowed down
with every week. In effect I didn’t do as much as I expected. Sincerely speaking I
struggled with my motivation to keep up with all of the languages I’ve learned so far.
If I could study them all full time I’d be more than happy but I don’t have that much
time so I think I have to re-consider my plans – and to put aside some of them for some
time. I hope to return to them in the future.

What I did in the first week of January you can read in a previous post. Here I will
report on what I did in the last three weeks.

Time spent

Total: 72h50

French: 16h30
Portuguese: 13h30
Turkish: 11h50
Italian: 10h30
Arabic (MSA): 9h50
Hindi: 4h20
Swahili: 4h20

Remarks

Arabic MSA - عربي

Nothing special. I’ve listened to the recordings of lessons 4 through 9 of the FSI
Modern Written Arabic Course. Sincerely speaking, I guess I didn’t make a right
decision to switch to MSA this year. I think I’ll return to Egyptian dialect to study
it full time again. Nevertheless I’ll continue to listen to MSA recordings.

Français
I studied units 15 and 16 of the FSI Course. I did all the grammar and tried to learn
vocabulary, I practiced reading and listening. I made all the audio drills twice. The
material covered mostly relative pronouns: qui, que, ce qui, ce que, as well as
Conditional.
I watched France 24 and tried to repeat what was being said, to remember as much as I
can.

Hindi - हिंदी
This is one of the languages I always wanted to return to but it seems my decision was
made too soon. I regret it but I don’t have enough time to continue. In the last weeks
I reviewed units 2 and 3 of “Teach Yourself” course. I also listened to units 3-6 of
this course.

Italiano
As it comes to one of my priorities this year, last weeks were spent mostly on keeping
up with the spoken language. I watched Rai News and Euronews. I listened to “Lo
scandalo Modigliano” (by Ken Follett) as audiobook. Apart from that, I just started to
read “Processo” by Franz Kafka (Italian translation).

Português
Another priority this year. I reviewed lessons 29-42 of the Assimil course. I read all
the texts, made all the exercises. I also practiced translating all the texts from
Spanish (I have a version of the course in this language) into Portuguese.
I watched TV news programs for several hours in total, especially RTP International and
Euronews.

Türkçe
Turkish is another language I’ll continue to study full time. I studied units 36-41 of
the FSI Course. I did all the readings, grammar and vocabulary exercises. I also did
these units using listening-repeating method.

Kiswahili
I went through consecutive units, namely 44-47, of the FSI course. I practiced reading,
learnt new grammar issues and vocabulary. I did all the drills, using traditional
method as well as treating them as audio drills.
I must admit, though with a much regret, that I’m not sure I’ll still be spending so
much time on Swahili as I did before. As I don’t have that much time I think I will put
it aside for some time. I may do some reading or exercises occasionally, but it won’t
be full time study in the coming months.

I will try to do my best not to put aside my favorite languages for long. I’m sure if
not now, I will learn them later when I’ve gained strong command of the ones I regard
as my priorities at present.

Edited by Przemek on 03 February 2013 at 12:56pm

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 16
03 February 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Przemek wrote:
Here’s what I’ve done this week.

Arabic MSA - عربي
*FSI Modern Written Arabic Volume I, lessons 1-4
In fact they contain material I’ve already learnt some time ago. But I think it’s still
better to master it through extensive drills in this book.
*Watching: Al Jazeera
I watched news broadcast not understanding much, well, sincerely speaking I was able to
catch only some words. I was able also to read some words appearing on screen. But I
think it’s really important to get early to listening.
*“A New Arabic Grammar” (Haywood, Nahmad), chapter 1: Orthography. Phonetics.
Punctuation.
It was in fact a review of some basic information about the language.

First week brought the first matter to be cleared. When some time ago I started to
learn MSA (but then stopped after a few units), I studied from “Teach Yourself Arabic”
(by J. Smart and F. Altorfer). They say that the Classical Arabic had a set of three
case endings for the nouns, but nowadays they are largely ignored. Only so-called
indefinite accusative (called accusative marker) is used because this shows in the
script.
It’s an alif attached to the end of the noun or adjective. Technically it’s accompanied
by two slashes above the preceding consonant but in practice they are usually omitted.
Example:
كتاب, كتابا (kitaab, kitaaban)
But the FSI course uses the other cases too. I asked on this forum (in the section
“Questions about your target languages) and have gotten one answer, not from a native,
but that doesn’t mean that less reliable. Here’s a part of this answer:
“The cases are used all the time in media. They are an important part of the language.
(…) Like the Arabic word for "Also" أيضا. It is always pronounced in the accusative
AjDhan, never AyDh or ayDha in MSA.”
That’s not exactly the answer. I’m aware that some words or whole phrases go always in
accusative, e.g. “ahlan wa sahlan”.

I'm no expert, but it seems that whether you want to pronounce the case endings or not is optional in most cases (excuse the pun). I mean
afterall, nobody really speaks MSA. But it's definitely not wrong to want to pronounce all the case endings. If anything, you're putting
more effort into proper grammar. The alif on an indefinite accusative is only a spelling convention. Just like the alif on past tense
verbs conjugated for هم, e.g. درسوا (darasuu). The alif exists only because the word is already in the indefinite accusative, not the
other way round. The presence of the alif indicates that the word is in the indefinite accusative but it does not make it in the
indefinite accusative. Now what makes a word definite or indefinite? Same as most languages really. But in Arabic, you'll usually know if
it's definite because there's an al-, it's in a definite idaafa or if it's got a pronoun suffix attached. And usually, words are in the
accusative when it's the direct object of a verb. That's really all there is to it. One last note, the alif convention for indefinite
accusative words does not apply to words ending with a taa marbuta.
So, I read a book today = قرأت كتابا اليوم, with the alif ending. But I read a newspaper today = قرأت جريدة اليوم, no alif ending. But
both kitaaban and jariidatan are both in the indefinite accusative. The only rule explicitly governing not pronouncing a case ending is
if the word's the last word of a sentence. BUT, if the last word is indefinite accusative, then the case ending is pronounced without
nunation. (Arabic has a rule for every situation you can think of, just gotta deal with it :) )

Prezemek wrote:

Another matter is so-called “nunation”. “TY” book doesn’t mention it at all. FSI –
does. Here’s the answer I’ve gotten to my question:
“The nunations (…) hand is not heard as often, mostly in certain words that always
carries them. (…) Certain reporters use more nunations than others, but it is never
used like in books. The ending vowels are just not as important to pronounce.”

Does anybody have more info on this? Do TV news presenters really use nunation and
cases. I don’t know the language that well yet to be able to differentiate.

Nunation is just the case ending for indefinite words. You've already seen it above. Kitaabun/Kitaabin/Kitaaban vs. Al-kitaabu/Al-
kitaabi/Al-kitaaba. It really isn't anything special. But you'll always be grammatically correct if you pronounce it in any situation that
it can be used. Personally, that TY book sounds really terrible. Doesn't sound like it teaches much.

Prezemek wrote:
I must admit, though with a much regret, that I’m not sure I’ll still
be spending so much time on Swahili as I did before. As I don’t have that much time I think I will put
it aside for some time. I may do some reading or exercises occasionally, but it won’t
be full time study in the coming months

Usiache kujifunza Kiswahili. Ulisema ungependa kutembelea Afrika ya Mashariki siku moja. Itakuwa salihi sana.

Edited by strikingstar on 03 February 2013 at 6:08pm

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 12 of 16
16 March 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Here's my report for February

February was without a doubt European languages month. I focused on Portuguese, Italian
and French. These are the languages I might use in the nearest future in my job or in
private contacts. That’s why it’s been a high time to review some grammatical issues
and of course vocabulary. I didn’t put aside neiher Arabic nor Turkish but I did
nothing connected with Hindi and Swahili.

Because of the medical treatment to the eyes I wasn't able to use the computer for a
month. That's why this update appears just now. It was also the time when I had to use
mostly audio materials or watch TV now and then.

Time spent

Total: 87h10

Italiano: 29h00
Português: 25h40
Français: 17h20
Türkçe: 11h05
عربي (Egyptian Arabic): 4h05

Remarks

Italiano

Most of the time I dedicated to Italian was spent on listening comprehension. I managed
to get an audiobook of Ken Follett’s “The fall of the giants” in Italian translation -
“La caduta dei giganti”. Generally, it tells the story of several families and
individuals before and during the first world war and Bolshevik revolution in Russia.
It describes the events that lead to the fall of former governors and emperors giving
way to appearance of a new world order.
I finished reading „Processo” by Franz Kafka in Italian translation.
I also watched news broadcasts on Rai News. I admit it was not much but this is because
I had a great exposure to Italian thanks to “La caduta dei giganti” as audiobook.

I didn’t note down many things from the books I read/listened to but a few things as a
reminder, e.g.:
*Spero che tu abbia ragione. / Subjunctive construction is needed in this kind of
sentence
I learned some vocabulary connected with military actions, e.g.
*trincea – trench; trinceramento – entrenchment; trincerare (io trincero) – to entrench

Português
I reviewed chapters 43-56 of the Assimil book. The most important grammatical issues
covered: futuro, futuro do conjuntivo, presente do conjuntivo, imperfeito do
conjuntivo, infinitivo pessoal, pretérito mais-que-perfeito do indicativo, pretérito
mais-que-perfeito do conjuntivo.
I watched Portuguese TV, mostly news programs: Bom dia Portugal, Grande Jornal, Jornal
da Tarde and Telejornal. I also watched morning program “Praça da alegria” but I didn’t
like it much.
I read some articles from “Notícias Magazine” (which I bought some time ago in
Portugal) and a book “Regresso de Sherlock Holmes III” containing three little stories
about a famous detective.

What’s most important I participated for the first time in Portuguese Practice Hangout
on Google+. Although it was hosted by a Brazilian, Andre, and I learn European version
of the language, it was still a great opportunity to practice.

Some interesting vocabulary and phrases encountered:
*prejuízo – damage, loss
*Vamos tentar fazer. – We are going to try to do it / It’s not rare that even three
verbs are put in a sequence like this.

*carne de cavalo / de vaca
*rutura – break, rupture / According to the new Acordo Ortográfico this word is no
longer spelled as ‘ruptura’.

*Ele nega que esteja em curso qualquer processo de investigação.
*Assédio sexual.
*Divulgado na internet.
*Ele dá razão ao clube.
*Não há motivo para (alguma coisa).
*desafiar – to challenge
*afastar - to remove, keep off, keep away; afastar-se – to move away, to go away, to
turn; afastar-se do assunto – to stray from the subject
*Novo escândalo na Igreja.
*Pediu a demissão do cargo.
*Conclave para eleger o novo Papa.
*Mais uma vez. / Word “mais” stands generally before the things we want “more”

Français
I did units 16 and 17 of the FSI Course. The most important grammatical issues covered:
conditionnel, pronoms interrogatifs (que, qui, qui est-ce qui + verb), pronoms relatifs
(dont, lequel, laquelle), verbs like «prendre», verbes pronominaux (reflexive and non-
reflexive), rien, personne ; pronoms démonstratifs (celle, celles, celui, ceux),
subjonctif.
I watched several times France 24 news channel to practice listening comprehension.

Some interesting vocabulary encountered:
*7 français enlevés au Cameroun
*lorsque – quand, au moment oú
Example : Nous en parlerons lorsque vous viendrez.
*convaincre – amener par des arguments à reconnaître l’exactitude ou la nécessité de ;
persuader

Türkçe
I did unit 41-47 of the FSI Course. With every new unit I am coming nearer to the end
of the course and it’s time to find another source to learn. And I also need to
practice, practice, practice…

The most important issues covered:
*ya… ya da (either… or), ne… ne de (neither… nor), hem… hem de (both… and)
examples:
Ya lokantaya gideriz ya da sinemaya.
Ne lokantaya gideriz ne de sinemaya.
Hem lokantaya gideriz hem de sinemaya.
*suffix (ı)ş – giving generally the meaning of mutuality to do the action of the verb,
sometimes it gives a specialized meaning to the resultant; examples:
görmek - to see/ görüşmek - to see each other, to meet
bakmak – to look at / bakışmak – to look at one another
ödemek – to pay / ödeşmek – to settle accounts
*(y)ış – forms verbal noun indicating “the act of doing…”, “the manner of doing”
examples:
Gidişgeliş üç saat sürdü – Round trip lasted for three hours
Sinemanın açılış kapanış saatlerini soralım. – Let’s ask about opening and closing
hours of the cinema.
Konuşuşu çok güzel. – The way he/she speaks is very nice.
*suffix –sana, -saniza – meaning approximately “why don’t you…, would you like to…”
example:
Yarin yemeğe bize gelsene / gelsenize.
*Causatives: -dır-, example: bilmek - to know / bildirmek - to cause to know, to
inform, to announce
*Transitive and intransitive verbs.
*Measures, numbers, percentages, colors, dates
And much more – which I haven’t in fact studied but just listened to the recordings to
get the glimpse of the new structures and to drill new vocabulary.
I watched a bit TRT Türk but with no big success in understanding. Yet I think I need
to get more exposure to the language.

Some interesting vocabulary lerned:
*alafranga – in European style; alafranga yemek – European food
*aşağı – (direction) down, down under; aşağı inmek – to go down, to descend
*boya – paint, shoe polish; boyamak – to paint, to polish shoes, to dry; akrilik boya –
acrylic paint; yağlıboya – oil paint
*yılamak – to wash, to bathe; ellerini yılamak – to wash one’s hands
*yılanmak - to take a bath, to wash oneself

عربي
I didn’t do any new things. I focused on drilling what I’ve already learned. I reviewed
Modules 1 and 2 of DLI Egyptian Arabic Course.

Edited by Przemek on 16 March 2013 at 9:47am

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 13 of 16
21 March 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Practicing language skills with native speakers is now easier even if you don’t know
anybody who speaks your target language – thanks to Google Hangouts. I tried it several
times and I think it’s a very cool idea!
Google Hangouts are available from a Google+ account or from a Gmail inbox. All you
need is an Internet connection, a microphone and a camera – well, you can do without a
camera, but that’s what makes it more fun.

Hangouts are similar to Skype videoconferencing tool but otherwise than in Skype here
in one session you can have up to 10 persons for free. Apart from talking you can share
what’s on your screen with others. You can edit your documents stored on Google Docs or
work together on shared documents. There are several other apps you can use during a
connection.

A hangout may be set to be public or private - where only invited persons can
participate.
Hangouts are a fantastic way to talk to people from all around the world (of course not
only to practice languages). At present there are hangouts for more popular languages
organized, others (like Hindi and Swahili) are still waiting for someone ready to host
them.

For the time being I participated in Portuguese and Italian Hangouts. I hope to join
other language hangouts in the nearest future, especially French, Spanish and Turkish.
I really hope that there will be someone willing to host hangouts in Swahili. We’ll
see…

To get to know more about Language Practice Hangouts go to the Community Page on
Google+

Edited by Przemek on 21 March 2013 at 1:46pm

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 14 of 16
21 March 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Di Firenze e Cracovia nel hangout Italiano

Il mercoledì ho partecipato in un altro hangout per far pratica con il mio Italiano. Ho
scoperto i hangout recentemente è l’idea mi piace moltissimo. Gli organizzano
voluntariamente le persone chi hanno voglia di aiutare agli altri a mettere in pratica
la loro conoscienza delle lingue quali imparano.

Il hangout di ieri è stato molto interessante. Abbiamo cominciato di parlare di
Firenze, una delle città Italiane più belle. Secondo me, è la città più bella. L’ho
visitata qualche anno fa e mi è piacuta più che Roma o anche Venezia. Con i suoi
magnifici edifici, monumenti e gallerie, come per esempio Santa Croce ed Uffizi non ci
si può annoiarsi.
Abbiamo parlato anche un po’ di San Juan, capitale di Puerto Rico, perche una dei
partecipanti vive in questa città.

Io ho avuto anche un’opportunità di dire qualche parola di Cracovia dove abito, ma non
ci fu bastante tempo per raccontare molte cose. Ho menzionato solamente del Castello
Reale e di Bona Sforza d’Aragona, la moglie del re polacco Sigismondo I Jagellone,
detto il Veccho (nel Seicento). In Polonia si dice che grazie a lei mangiamo più
verdure che prima. Prima noi polacchi avevamo mangiato solo carne? Marina ha notato che
non può essere stato vero perche la gente povera non si poteva permettere a mangiare
carne se non a grandi feste. Forse Bona ha insegnato a mangare carne alla corte
reale...

Il prossimo hangout sarà dedicato alla cinematografia. Ci sarà una discussione del film
di Fellini “Prova d’orchestra”. Questo è stato un suggerimento fatto da Andrzej, un
partecipante di Varsavia.

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 15 of 16
22 March 2013 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Below you'll find my first attempt to write in Turkish. This text needed a few small
corrections which I got from a pal on Italki.

Benim hakkımda
Benim adım Przemek. Kırk iki yaşındayım. Polonyalıyım. Polonya’da, Krakov’da yaşıyorum.
Krakov, Polonya’nın güneyinde yer alır.
Devlet memuruyum. Belediyede çalışıyorum. Dış ilişkiler ve Avrupa projeleri üzerine
calışıyorum.
Müzik dinlemeyi, kitap okumayı, seyahat etmeyi ve fılm izlemeyi seviyorum, ama
herşeyden önceyabancı dil öğrenmeyi seviyorum.
İngilizce ve İspanyolca biliyorum, İtalyanca, Portekizce, Arapça ve Türkçe öğreniyorum.
Birkaç yıldan beri Türkçe öğreniyorum. Çok zor. Evimde kendi kendime öğreniyorum.
Öğrenmek için özel bir sebebim yok. Sadece hobim.
Türkçem hala kötü. Ben bir sürü sözcük biliyorum, ama konuşma fırsatım yok. Çok pratiğe
ihtiyacım var.

Bir defa Türkiye’ye gittim. Tatill için. İki bin sekizde. Çok sevdim. İstanbul’a,
İzmir’e, Bursa’ya, Çeşme’ye, Selçuk’a, Bergama’ya, Efes’e, Bodrum’a ve Pamukkale’ye
gittim. Şahane yerler. Oraları tekrar seyahat etmek istiyordum.

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6271 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 16 of 16
01 April 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Languages – progress: March 2013

March was so far the best month when it comes to learning foreign languages. It’s not
only about the amount of hours spent because this was a bit less than in February but
in terms of practicing. I finally found a way to practice what I study. I am sure I
don’t have to say how important it is for every language learner who wants to speak and
not only to master the grammar. I found a great community on Google+ - it’s called
Language Practice Hangouts. It joins people from all around the world who want to
practice speaking and volunteers who want to help them. So far I participated in
hangouts for Portuguese, Italian, French and Spanish. I hope for more in the coming
days…

Time spent
Total: 127h05

Portuguese: 43h45
Français: 32h00
Türkçe: 20h40
Italiano: 19h40
عربي (Egyptian MSA) 8h40
عربي (Egyptian MSA) 2h20

Remarks

Arabic (MSA & Egyptian)

In March I switched again to MSA, although I dedicated some time to the Egyptian
dialect too. I hesitated between the FSI and the DLI courses. In the end I chose the
latter because of its more extensive audio material and more everyday vocabulary.
Although both focus on diplomatic and military work, the DLI seems to be less
“military”.
I studied the first lesson, I did the reading, exercises and audio. Moreover I listened
to the audio material of the lessons 2 and 3. They don’t contain any new material for
me but the case endings. Some time ago when I started to learn MSA I used “Teach
Yourself” book and it doesn’t teach you to use cases saying that nobody uses them
nowadays. It mentions so-called “nunation” but doesn’t use it. I guess I’ll need some
practice to get used to this.

I wish I had more time for Arabic but for now I guess I must do with several hours a
month. Maybe in the second part of the year I’ll slow down with other languages and sit
down to study Arabic full-time.
I even enrolled for the Arabic course at Dalarna University in Sweden - lectures are
held online. I’m still waiting for the approval.

Français
I studied over and over units 16 and 17 of the FSI course which I did last month. It
may seem I stuck but it’s not so. Suffice it to say that the unit 17 alone has over 50
pages. I wanted to drill the material especially as it contains conditional,
subjunctive and some other grammatical issues like a collocation of the pronouns in the
sentence. I also did unit 18 which is a review unit.

I watched France 24 news channel to practice listening comprehension. But what’s most
important I finally had an opportunity to practice speaking. The first ever French
Practice Hangout was organized on Google+. I’ve already written about my experiences
with this kind of practice with Portuguese and Italian. I had also a few occasions to
speak French on the hangouts organized ad hoc with some friends I have at Google+. It’s
such a fun to be able to chat with people from all around the world, e.g. from Colombia
or South Africa. We discuss not only about our daily routines but also about politics,
society issues, economy, literature and many other things...

Some useful vocabulary I noted down:
*Je l’apprendrai par coeur. – I learnt this by heart.
*Il reprend l’initiative. – He takes an initiative.
*Je doi m’en aller. – I have to go.
*Je ne m’intéresse pqs à ce genre de choses. – I’m not interested in this kind of
things.

Italiano
I finished “La caduta dei giganti” which I read or rather listened to in the form of
audiobook. It was not so interesting as other novels by Ken Follett which I had read
earlier but it was quite fun and very satisfying to be able to “read” it in Italian.
I watched Rai 24 news broadcast and I participated in several Italian Practice
Hangouts. Not much real study in March but I think I’ve learned enough of grammar and I
just have to practice to become more fluent.

*sbalordire – to amaze, to astonish, to be surprised
Example: A quella notizia sbalordì
*sbalorditivo – amazing, astounding, absurd
Example: Prezzo sbalorditivo – staggering price
*prendere in giro – to tease
*Il prezzo ha salito alle stelle
*altrove – elsewhere, somewhere else
Example: Sono diretto altrove
*É solo questo che conta

Português
As I already said it’s one of my priorities this year and I really want to become
fluent in Portuguese. That’s why I keep up with spending so much time on it. In March I
reviewed lessons 59-89 of the Assimil course, noting down some useful vocabulary and
grammatical issues I needed to refresh.
I watched some TV programs – several hours in total, especially on RTP International,
RTP Informação and Euronews. I also read several articles from the “Notícias Magazine”.
What’s most important, as with French and Italian, I had an opportunity to talk –
thanks to Portuguese Practice Hangout.

I made my first attempt in writing. I translated from Polish into Portuguese a short
text from the website of the town for which I work. It was fun and on the other hand
useful. I put it on the Italki site for a correction by a native. I was surprised that
I made only three minor errors in the text, two of which were of “stupid” kind such as
wrong gender in the adjective. I have to be more careful while practicing writing.

*porém – yet, but, nevertheless
*prazo – term, period; expiry date; time limit / a curto prazo / a longo prazo – short
/ long term
Example: Eleições presidenciais vão ser convocadas num prazo de 30 dias.
*parceria – partnership / parceiro, parceira
*Diz que sente olgulho na postura do clube.
*arguir – to accuse / arguir de – to accuse of (sth) / kłócić się / arguido – accused
*Ideias não me faltam
*Fazia um calor de derreter os untos a um cristão (difficult to translate, said to
stress that it’s extremely hot weather)
*Morra Marta, morra farta (not to be translated literally, meaning: when one dies, they
will die content)
*Quem me dera ter partido contigo – expresses a wish of doing something which is
improbable
*calcular – to imagine
Example: Calcula que cuando cheguei... – Imagine that when I arrived…
*De essa maneira posso juntar o útil ao agradavél
*marrão – plodder
*O que é que isso tem a ver com... – What does it have to do with...
*faço tenção de fazer... / tenciono fazer... / tenho a intenção de
Example: Faço tenção de descansar uns dias.
*Assim é que é! (expresses one’s approbation, bravo)
*fôlego – breath, (fig.) courage / perder o fôlego
*Sei lá! – How could I know!
*Que é feito… (de ti, do meu livro) – What happened…
*Tenho trabalhado que nem um cão. – I’ve worked my fingers to the bone.
*Assim mataria dois coelhos de uma só cajadada. – That way I would kill two birds with
one stone.
*Não faço ideia de quem estás a falar / Não faço ideia de quem estejas a falar
(subjuntive is used to strengthen what’s being said)

Türkçe
I spent more time on Turkish in March than in the previous months of which I’m very
glad. It’s still studying and enriching my vocabulary and not practicing but I hope
it’s going to change soon and I will pass to more active learning.
I did units 41-45 of the “Colloquial Turkish”. Similarly as with Portuguese, I did my
first attempt in writing. I wrote a short text about myself.

Edited by Przemek on 01 April 2013 at 12:43pm

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version