Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 1 of 49
28 December 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
My main focus this year will (again) be Mandarin. Last year i think i managed to finally pull myself out of the upper beginner level and now chatting online (with a pop-up dictionary) is getting a bit easier. My goals for Mandarin this year are:
1. Conversational fluency
2. Learn enough characters to be able to get around, read newspapers, etc. I'll put a number around 4-5k characters. I think currently i know around 1500.

My secondary focus this year will be Modern Greek. I don't know why i let myself slip into another temptation (my other languages are still suffering from my decision to start Mandarin) but i'm hoping i can pull myself together. I can't really say what goals i have for Greek as i don't really know what the language has in store for me. For now, we'll say:
1. Get comfortable with the alphabet (this includes typing it, for some reason i always want to type using the Russian layout)
2. Familiarize myself with the grammar (yay! Greek actually has conjugations!)
3. Build a modest little vocabulary

Other languages which will probably get neglected like they did last year include:
1. Spanish (though i do read and watch movies in Spanish, it's been years since i've actively studied)
2. French (been in limbo-land for years)
3. German (see French)
4. Russian (i did a pretty long stint of Russian last year, but life/the internet in China got the best of me)

What have i done so far in these two languages?
For Chinese:
1. I recently finished FSI Chinese. I feel like it left me quite short in a lot of areas, but overall it was a good help and just now i'm starting to notice my comprehension improve
2. I've started NPCR and just finished the first textbook.
3. I've also nearly finished the passive wave of the first book of Assimil's Le chinois sans peine.

For Greek:
1. I've started the Language Transfer course and am currently repeating the second level. I'm quite enjoying it but the course isn't finished yet (and it's 100% audio), so i'll obviously need something else to round out my studies.
2. That's it! There is no #2!

Where to from here?
Mandarin:
1. Finish NPCR!
2. Finish Assimil!
3. Hound away at Skritter and try to learn as many characters as i can!

Greek:
I have a few courses in line for Greek:
1. First off, finish the Language Transfer course. I want to see how far i can get with this course alone, so i won't do any other study (apart from learning the alphabet and how to type) until i finish.
2. FSI Greek
3. Assimil Greek (Le nouveau grec sans peine)
4. Aprenda griego sin profesor. I'll likely leave out this last resource as i've read it's a bit dry. But it does come with audio and the title is intriguing (which is why i got it in the first place :P)

Edited by Crush on 28 December 2012 at 4:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 49
28 December 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Hi! Nice set of languages! Now for your Mandarin the only thing I can contribute with is admiration. I would
have loved to learn some Mandarin myself, but I just can't fit it in. However we seem to share every other
language (if you can speak of sharing a language - Greek- where none of us know the alphabet yet) so when
we get to having Skype sessions, I think we can have quite interesting multi lingual conversations. It appears
that most of team Sparta have 4 or 5 languages in common, so this should be fun!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 3 of 49
29 December 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Definitely, though my French/German/Russian are definitely subpar!

Greek:
I'm currently about a third of the way through the second level. We just started to cover how to form the past tense. It's similar to Spanish in that the stress changes, though it feels backwards since the stress generally moves towards the front of the word and not towards the end like in Spanish.

Mandarin:
I did Lesson 39 today, not any new words or structures but i did relearn a word i hadn't seen in a while: 大夫 (dàifu) aka doctor. To anyone else using Assimil Chinese, i really recommend removing the pauses. It makes the lessons much more enjoyable. If you don't know how/don't feel like doing it, get in touch.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5548 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 49
01 January 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Hallo Crush,

Viel Glück beim Sprachenlernen im kommendenden Jahr, ich bin mir sicher, dass du viele Fortschritte machen wirst. Wenn ich dir beim Deutsch- oder Russischlernen helfen kann, lass mich wissen. In etwa einer Woche bin ich hoffentlich wieder in China, dann werden wir in der selben Zeitzone sein. Ich schreibe dir dieses Jahr auf Deutsch, Russisch, Französisch oder Chinesisch. Wir können auf Englisch verzichten, oder?

Jack

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 5 of 49
01 January 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
好的!今年咱们不说英语了吧! 我很高兴能看懂你写的话, 我好久没学德语, 还没有忘记! 只是不知道 verzichten 是什么意思但是现在知道了。

Ahora te escribo en castellano para no rayarme más con el chino mandarín ;) Este año espero avanzar, sobre todo con mi chino mandarín, pero también tengo interés por saber hasta dónde un año de estudio del griego me puede llevar. ¡Te deseo mucho éxito a ti también (¡y a todxs!) este año nuevo y todos los que lo siguen!

Greek:
The past couple days i've been practicing typing in Greek. It's a slow process but it's getting easier. I still reach for the Russian keys far too often and have no clue why my brain won't accept anything else! Greek spelling is also kicking my ass. Also, while trying to install the latest KDE libraries for an updated version of KTouch (a really cool typing program for Linux) i managed to botch my Ubuntu partition. I've decided just to take the opportunity to save whatever stuff i want (mainly my language and programming stuff) and install a new Linux distribution.

Mandarin:
I've been focused on the characters lately, both writing and recognizing them. I want to try to do another lesson of NPCR tonight, but all my language stuff is tucked away right now so it'll have to wait until i finish setting up my Linux partition. :)

EDIT: Made the Chinese text slightly larger to make it easier to read :)

Edited by Crush on 01 January 2013 at 4:10pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 6 of 49
02 January 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
你好,Crush! 我很高兴我看得懂你写的中文。 汉字很好看,但是很难记得. 你住在那里?

Bueno, te deseo mucha suerte con tus estudios este año. Estoy seguro de que me podrás ayudar con el chino, y talvez te pueda ayudar un poquito con el griego.

ancpem1
Groupie
United States
Joined 4170 days ago

56 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Greek, Latin, French

Message 7 of 49
02 January 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Hi, Crush! I think it's cool that you're learning Mandarin! I look forward to being on Team Sparta with you in 2013!

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 8 of 49
03 January 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi Crush, just a quick hello from a fellow Spartan. Look forward to reading your log.

Mandarin is all Greek to me (pardon the pun), so I'll just admire those characters when they appear in your postings.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version