Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5621 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 9 of 84
06 January 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I spent the New Year in Prague, so today was the first day I was able to get back to work on my languages.
Today I did 2 hours of Modern Greek. The main textbook I am using is Communicate in Greek. i finished book 1 at the end of September. Today I completed lesson of book 2. The book is all in Greek. It consists of a textbook, Cd, and 2 workbooks. Although the grammar is explained in Greek, it is mainly done through diagrams and tables and is generally clear. I use Greek, an Essential Grammar, published by Routledge when I have any doubts. Lesson 2 deals with the aorist, the Greek equivalent of the simple past/preterite tense. The endings for all active verbs are the same, the tricky bit is learning how the stem of the verb changes. For example:
δουλεύω I work
δούλεψα I worked
δούλεψες you worked
δούλεψε he/she worked
δουλέψαμε we worked
δουλέψατε you worked
δούλεψαν they worked
The endings in the plural forms are the same as the present tense endings for type B verbs which is a little confusing. Another complication is that the aorist must be stressed on the third syllable to the left. If the verb only has 2 syllables, then you need to add an extra letter, usually ε. For example φτάνω I arrive, έφτασα I arrived.
The other main grammatical topic was the genitive case of the indefinite article. Fortunately case endings in Greek aren't too complex. Some examples:
Masculine
ένας άνθρωπος a man
ενός ανθρώπου of a man
Neut
ένα βιβλίο a book
ενός βιβλίου of a book
ένα παιδί a child
ενός παιδιού of a child

1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5621 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 10 of 84
06 January 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Oslavil jsem Sylvestra v Praze, jak jsem to dělal už těch minulých 9 let. Moc se mi líbí to město, zvláště v prosinci, když všude jsou vánoční ozdoby, vánoční trhy a moc hezký stromek na Staromětské náměstí. Jen nemám rád, jak Češi házejí ohňostroji na ulicích. Jsou blázni a je to moc nebezpeční. Tento rok dvě děti byly zraněny kvůli hloupostem s ohňostroji.

Nestudoval jsem češtinu během mého pobytu v Praze. Ale mluvil jsem docela moc česky s českými kamarádi, a díval jsem se na českou i na slovenskou televizi. Také jsem koupil pracovní sešit 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2'. Myslím, že ho vydali nedávno. Už rok pracuji s učebnicí.

Ted' jsem doma v Anglii. Dnes, poprvé tento rok jsem studoval češtinu. Loni jsem použival 2 knihy, 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2' a 'Čeština pro cizince'. Líbí se mi obě knihy, ale rozhodl jsem se, že jen budu použivat 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2' tento rok. Už jsem skončil prvních 5 lekcí, ale teď musím udělat odpovídající lekce (the corresponding lessons?) v sešitě. Dnes jsem skončil strany 5-10. Také jsem koukal na Čéské události na ČT1 na internetu.

Prosím opravujte moje chyby.

I celebrated New Yer in Prague, as I have done for the last 9 years. I really like this city, especially in December, with all the Christmas decorations,the Christmas markets and the very pretty Christmas tree on Old Town Square. I just don't like how the Czechs throw fireworks in the street. They are crazy and it's very dangerous.
This year, two children were injured because of the stupidity with fireworks.

I did not study any Czech during my stay in Prague. But I spoke quite a lot of Czech with Czech friends, and watched at Czech and even Slovak Television. I also bought the workbook 'Czech Step by Step 2'. I think it was recently published. I've been working with the textbook for a year.

Now I'm back home in England. Today, for the first time this year I studied Czech. Last year I used 2 books, 'Czech Step by Step 2' and 'Czech for foreigners.' I like both books, but I've decided that I'll just use the 'Czech Step by Step 2' this year. I finished the first 5 lessons, but now I have to do the corresponding lessons In the workbook. Today I finished pages 5 to 10 and I also watched the the Czech news on CT1 on the Internet.

Please feel free to correct my mistakes.

Edited by stelingo on 06 January 2013 at 11:52pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4446 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 84
07 January 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
You write very well and there are only few very tiny mistakes. The rest is my nitpicking:

Oslavil jsem Sylvestra v Praze, jak jsem to dělal už těch minulých either "už minulých" or "posledních" 9 let. Moc se mi tohle město líbí, zvláště v prosinci, když všude<->jsou vánoční ozdoby, vánoční trhy a moc hezký stromek na Staromětském náměstí. Jen nemám rád, jak Češi házejí ohňostroji na ulicích. Jsou blázni a je to moc nebezpečné or nebezpečný (common Czech). Tento rok byly dvě děti zraněny kvůli hloupostem s ohňostroji.

Během mého pobytu v Praze jsem nestudoval češtinu. Ale mluvil jsem docela dost česky s českými kamarády, a díval jsem se na českou i na slovenskou televizi. Také jsem si koupil pracovní sešit 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2'. Myslím, že ho vydali nedávno. Už rok pracuji s učebnicí.

Ted' jsem doma v Anglii. Dnes, poprvé tento rok jsem studoval češtinu. Loni jsem použival 2 knihy, 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2' a 'Čeština pro cizince'. Líbí se mi obě knihy, ale rozhodl jsem se, že tento rok budu použivat jen 'Česky Krok za Krokem 2' . Už jsem skončil prvních 5 lekcí, ale teď musím udělat odpovídající lekce (the corresponding lessons? - correct) v sešitě. Dnes jsem skončil strany 5-10. Také jsem koukal na České události na ČT1 na internetu.

"Real" mistakes are underlined, the rest is mostly word order showing you as non-native speaker.

The word ohňostroj sounds wrong in this. Ohňostroj is the big firework in the sky or the material for it. What you wanted to use is either petarda or rachejtle. Simply said, for ohňostroj you would need a licence, petardy a rachejtle can buy everybody over 18.

Edit:
It seems that we crossed the streams with our edits, I have amended what I found.

Edited by Majka on 07 January 2013 at 10:02am

3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 12 of 84
07 January 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi Stelingo

I'm happy to be on your team for the TAC, you have a very impressive list of languages.

As a fellow Englishman, I'm also glad that you seem to love the Czech Republic. I do too. It's pretty amazing that you manage to come here a few times every year.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 13 of 84
07 January 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:

The word ohňostroj sounds wrong in this. Ohňostroj is the big firework in the sky or the material for it. What you wanted to use is either petarda or rachejtle. Simply said, for ohňostroj you would need a licence, petardy a rachejtle can buy everybody over 18.

I didn't know that either. I would say though that many Czechs use fireworks (ohňostroj) without a license. At least they were on New Year's Eve in Litoměřice. I agree with Stelingo that they are crazy compared to English people, but I like it too and am glad that Czechs are nowhere near as uptight about safety regulations in general as English people are.

Edited by hribecek on 07 January 2013 at 2:54pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4446 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 84
07 January 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
There seems to be a slight misunderstanding. "Fireworks" can be translated into both
ohňostroj and pyrotechnika (technical therm, or "pyrotechnický materiál / pyrotechnické zboží".

Ohňostroj ("fire machine") is the "firework show", sometimes including sounds / music.

In this meaning, the crazy happenings in Czech republic isn't "ohňostroj". The Czech description is "Střílí (se) petardy, odstřelují dělbuchy, práskají petardy a dýmovnice." And everybody and his brother seems to have money to burn. Few people around here had enough fireworks to start one explosion a day from 23. December till New Years day, and one explosion per hour for every time zone entering the New year. People with babies and dogs were not happy :)

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5621 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 15 of 84
07 January 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Děkuju za to, že jsi opravila moje chyby, Majka. Oceňuji to. Podle tvých oprav, zdá se me, že se píšou raději časové výrazy na začátku větu. Souhlasiš?

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5621 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 16 of 84
07 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Ahoj Hříbeček!

Děkuju za tvoje komentáře. Kdybych mohl najít dobré placené pracovní místo v Praze, tak přestěhoval bych se tam bez váhání. Ale, jako asi víš, plat učitelů je docela malé, a mnohem nížší, než plat učitelů tady v Anglii. Máš zajímavou přezdívku. Jestli se nemylím, to znamená 'little foal', že ne?

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version