Joined 4447 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 49 of 84
21 January 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
What is the difference between odvést and svést?

The difference is quite subtle.

odvézt (něco): to transport something, odvézt (někoho) to drive somebody
"odvézt bratra do práce" - to drive my brother to his workplace (office/school), even if you wouldn't drive there otherwise. It could mean to stop what you are doing and driving him there.

svézt (někoho): to give somebody a lift, svézt se s někým - to get a ride
"svézt bratra do práce" - to give him a lift. You are driving in the same direction at roughly the same time anyway.

One more explanation:
do mého domu x k mému domu
do mého domu: inside, into
k mému domu: outside, next to
A visitor is coming "do tvého domu" but driving "k tvému domu".
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 50 of 84
27 January 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Today I wrote a paragraph about my family. I had to look up a lot of unfamiliar words. It will take my a while to learn some of the new vocabulary.

Στην οικογένειά μου είμαστε πέντε άτομα, η μαμά μου, ο μπαμπάς μου, οι δύο μικρότερες μου αδελφές κι εγώ. Και οι δύο μου γονείς γεννήθηκαν στο Μπόλτον και ακόμα μένουν εκεί.

Η μαμά μου είναι εβδομήντα χρονών και είναι νοικοκυρά. Βοηθούσε τον πατέρα μου στην εταιρέια του πριν η εταιρέια μεγάλωσε. Έχει καλή φυσική κατάσταση (χτύπα ξύλο) και δεν της φαίνονται τα χρόνια της/ δεν της φαίνεται ότι είναι εβδομήντα χρονών.

Ο πατέρας μου είναι 67 χρονών/ετών. Είναι ηλεκτρολόγος. Είχε μια μεγάλη ηλεκτρική εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες. Η εταιρεία του ήταν επιτυχημένη και είχε πάνω από 20 υπαλλήλους και 2 ή 3 άτομα που δούλευαν μαζί τον πατέρα μου στο γραφείο. Παρ'όλα αυτά, ο πατέρας μου αγχωνόταν με την διαχείριση μιας τέτοιας μεγάλης εταιρείας και αποφάσισε να πουλήσει την επιχείρηση. Δημιούργησε μια μικρότερη εταιρεία που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για το δημοτικό συμβούλιο, κυρίως στα σχολεία και στα νοσοκομεία.

Τώρα δουλεύει μόνος. βάζει αγγελίες στην εφημερίδα για να βρει δουλειά και κάνει μικρές θέσεις εργασίας σε ιδιωτικές κατοικίες. Θα ήθελε να βγει στη σύνταξη, αλλά αυτή τη στιγμή δεν έχει την οικονομική δυνατότητα. Η οικονομική κρίση επηρέασε την ηδιωτική σύνταξη του και δεν θα είναι αρκετή για να ζήσει.

Hoping some kind soul will read and correct my paragraphs.
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 51 of 84
27 January 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
οι δύο μικρότερές μου αδελφές, one extra stress

στην εταιρεία του πριν η εταιρεία μεγαλώσει. The stress on the proper place for εί. I assume it's a typo, because in the rest of the text it's correct.

Είχε μια μεγάλη εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες. The company is ηλεκτρολογική. The way you wrote it sounds like the public electric company, ΔΕΗ.   

Βάζει αγγελίες, capital Β

και κάνει μικρές θέσεις εργασίας σε κατοικίες. I am not sure what you mean by the phrase. Can you write it in English, please?

την σύνταξή του Spelling mistake, ιδιωτική. Second stress needed.

Great job. You are very good, and you use greek syntax and phrases all the way. You don't have to use both types of variations, you could pick the one you like most.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 27 January 2013 at 12:59pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 52 of 84
27 January 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
   οι δύο μικρότερές μου αδελφές, one extra stress

στην εταιρεία του πριν η εταιρεία μεγαλώσει. The stress on the proper place for εί. I assume it's a typo, because in the rest of the text it's correct.

Είχε μια μεγάλη εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες. The company is ηλεκτρολογική. The way you wrote it sounds like the public electric company, ΔΕΗ.   

Βάζει αγγελίες, capital Β

και κάνει μικρές θέσεις εργασίας σε κατοικίες. I am not sure what you mean by the phrase. Can you write it in English, please?

την σύνταξή του Spelling mistake, ιδιωτική. Second stress needed.

Great job. You are very good, and you use greek syntax and phrases all the way. You don't have to use both types of variations, you could pick the one you like most.

Thanks for your corrections, Πηνελόπη and for your kind words. I sometimes include two versions to check they are both correct.

I don't understand why you have used μεγαλώσει in στην εταιρεία του πριν η εταιρεία μεγαλώσει. What tense is this? Is there any difference between εταιρεία and επιχείρηση?

Just to make sure I understood you correct 'Είχε μια μεγάλη εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες.' should be Είχε μια μεγάλη ηλεκτρολογική εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρολογικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες. Is that correct?

κάνει μικρές θέσεις εργασίας σε ιδιωτικές κατοικίες I wanted to say he does small (electrical) jobs in private houses, ie he no longers works for the large building companies but for private individuals.

Ευχαριστώ πολύ

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 53 of 84
27 January 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:

Thanks for your corrections, Πηνελόπη and for your kind words. I sometimes include two versions to check they are both correct.

I don't understand why you have used μεγαλώσει in στην εταιρεία του πριν η εταιρεία μεγαλώσει. What tense is this? Is there any difference between εταιρεία and επιχείρηση?

Just to make sure I understood you correct 'Είχε μια μεγάλη εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες.' should be Είχε μια μεγάλη ηλεκτρολογική εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρολογικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχείρησες. Is that correct?

κάνει μικρές θέσεις εργασίας σε ιδιωτικές κατοικίες I wanted to say he does small (electrical) jobs in private houses, ie he no longers works for the large building companies but for private individuals.

Ευχαριστώ πολύ

Forgive me, I missed one mistake. It's not επιχείρησες, but επιχειρήσεις.
Επιχείρηση-επιχειρήσεις
Παρατήρηση-παρατηρήσεις
Εγχείρηση-εγχειρήσεις
etc.

μεγαλώσει here is subjunctive I believe. Please see how the syntax stucture is for πριν να... I don't have my grammar around. Pay attention to the subjunctive forms, because it's a mistake even people who live in greece continue to make (non native speakers)
πριν να μεγαλώσει, πριν   μεγαλώσει
προτού να μεγαλώσει, προτού   μεγαλώσει

εταιρεία is a company
επιχείρηση is a business
I suppose they are used the same way as in English.

Είχε μια μεγάλη ηλεκτρολογική εταιρεία, που έκανε ηλεκτρολογικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχειρήσεις, is correct. Also correct is: Είχε μια μεγάλη ηλεκτρολογική εταιρεία/επιχείρηση, που έκανε ηλεκτρικές εγκαταστάσεις για τις μεγάλες κατασκευαστικές επιχειρήσεις. My only objection was to the ηλεκτρική εταιρεία, because if you are an ηλεκτρολόγος you have an ηλεκτρολογική εταιρεία/επιχείρηση.

Ηλεκτρική εγκατάσταση
Ηλεκτρολογική εγκατάσταση
Both correct

he does small (electrical) jobs in private houses= αναλαμβάνει μικρές ηλεκτρολογικές εργασίες για ιδιώτες.
αναλαμβάνω μια εργασία/μια αποστολή/την ευθύνη. Αναλαμβάνω is a beautiful word to know.
θέσεις εργασίας means job vacancies :)

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 54 of 84
27 January 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I checked πριν να and προτού να and as you said they are both followed by the subjunctive.

Βάζει αγγελίες στην εφημερίδα για να αναλαμβάνει μικρές ηλεκτρολογικές εργασίες για ιδιώτες. Is this sentence now correct or should it be να αναλάβει?

I find the words ιδιώτης and ιδιωτικός rather disconcerting as they remind me too much of the English idiot, idiotic. It seems idiot in Greek is ηλίθιος or βλάκας?

Today I started lesson 3 in Communicate in Greek 2, although I have not got very far with it, merely listened to the dialogue a few times, wrote it out and looked up unknown words. They speak very fast on the audio, and even after reading though it and listening to it a few times I still can't pick out all the words. The dialogue was about a couple moving into a new flat and discussing where to put their furniture. The focus of the lesson is prepositions and the imperative.

A couple of questions. I'm never sure how to translate λέω in sentences such as the following taken from the dialogue:

λέω να βάλουμε τον καναπέ κάτω απ' το παράθυρο.

And I don't really understand the following sentence:

Ιλεάνα, πιάσε το τραπέζι απ' την άλλη πλευρά να το πάμε στη θέση του.

Thanks again.

Edited by stelingo on 27 January 2013 at 5:24pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 55 of 84
27 January 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Tento týden jsem začal druhou lekci sešitu 'Krok za krokem 2' a skončil jsem 6 stran. Četl jsem 3 kapitola knihy 'Babička Drsňačka'. To je kniha pro děti přeložena z angličtina, kterou psal herec David Walliams. (Ten vysoký herec z anglického seriálu Little Britain'. Je to trochu blbé ale není těžké a učím se nová slova. Včera jsem koukal na události ČT1 na internetu. Mluvili o výsledku prezidentských volb. Neznám moc o dvou kandidátech ale jsem rád, že Zeman zvítězil, prostě protože je moc těžké rozumět Schwarzenbergovi. Mluví jako by byl opilý. (podle mě)Co si o tom myslíte, vy Češi?

This week I began a the second lesson in the workbook 'Krok za krokem 2' workbook and completeed 6 pages. I read three chapters of 'Swashbuckling Grandma' . This is a children's book translated from English written by the actor David Walliams. (He's the one from the English series Little Britain.) It's a bit daft but not hard and I'm learning new words. Yesterday I watched the CT1 News on the Internet. They talked about the outcome of the presidential elections. I don't know much about the two candidates, but I'm glad that Zeman won, simply because it is too difficult to understand Schwarzenberg. speaks as if he were drunk. (IMO)What do you Czechs think about this?

I have a question. How would you translate the expressions jak kdy, jak kdo, jak kde. I thought perhaps 'it depends'. Some examples from 'Krok za krokem 2'

Umí všichni Češi anglicky? Jak kdo. Can all Czechs speak English? It depends.
Prodávají ve všech supermarketech knihy? Jak kde. Do all supermarkets sell books? It depends.
Pijete kávu nebo čaj? Jak kdy. Do you drink coffee or tea? it depends.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 56 of 84
28 January 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
I checked πριν να and προτού να and as you said they are both followed by the subjunctive.

Βάζει αγγελίες στην εφημερίδα για να αναλαμβάνει μικρές ηλεκτρολογικές εργασίες για ιδιώτες. Is this sentence now correct or should it be να αναλάβει?

I find the words ιδιώτης and ιδιωτικός rather disconcerting as they remind me too much of the English idiot, idiotic. It seems idiot in Greek is ηλίθιος or βλάκας?

Today I started lesson 3 in Communicate in Greek 2, although I have not got very far with it, merely listened to the dialogue a few times, wrote it out and looked up unknown words. They speak very fast on the audio, and even after reading though it and listening to it a few times I still can't pick out all the words. The dialogue was about a couple moving into a new flat and discussing where to put their furniture. The focus of the lesson is prepositions and the imperative.

A couple of questions. I'm never sure how to translate λέω in sentences such as the following taken from the dialogue:

And I don't really understand the following sentence:

Thanks again.

Βάζει αγγελίες στην εφημερίδα για να αναλάβει μικρές ηλεκτρολογικές εργασίες για ιδιώτες. This is the correct form.

As for the word ιδιώτης, you picked up on that perfectly, because it is the same word as "idiot". The thing is, in ancient greece the word meant private, exactly as today, but at a certain era they were using it to describe the person who did not participate in the political and public life. With considerable nastiness, the one who did not participate was considered as someone who couldn't be of any use, so ιδιώτης at some point meant stupid. Latin borrowed it, apparently with the second meaning, and the rest of the languages inherited the word "idiot" = stupid. In modern greek however it means simply private, so you can use it without fear. We have other insulting words, two of which you mentioned. These days, with the crisis and all the debates on how people should react, the story of this word is mentioned all the time, on tv, radio, etc. But it means private, without any ambivalence.

Yes, fast dialogue can be a problem, but it is true everyone speaks like that, so work on that. Soon you will get used to it, and it won't be an issue. You'll probably end up speaking fast yourself.
As for the
I'm thinking of putting the sofa under the window.
I'm considerig putting the sofa under the window.
I say, let's place the sofa under the window!
Maybe we should put the sofa under the window?

Imagine this: he is holding the table from one end, and he is asking her to go to the other end and hold it as well, so that they can pick up the table together and put it in its place.
Πιάσε μου ένα ποτήρι νερό.
Πιάσε το παιδί, θα πέσει!
Πιάσε εκείνο το βιβλίο, δεν το φτάνω.

I don't know this course you use, but from your examples I see colloquial greek, very much in use, and useful to know. You don't translate English expressions into greek, and your texts sound very natural.

All your mistakes so far are details that need to be improved, but generally you seem to have a good command of the language.

A link to impove your listening skills.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 28 January 2013 at 9:44am

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version