Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 105 of 156
12 February 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
If you're going for an overall win, maybe you should include anything you do in Norwegian as a maintenance language too?
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 106 of 156
12 February 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
If you're going for an overall win, maybe you should include anything you do in Norwegian as a maintenance language too?

That seems to much like cheating. I've been here too long. Also, I almost never use it, so it wouldn't amount to much anyway. I'm almost never on Norwegian websites, and since I'm studying other languages and trying to read Japanese, I almost never read anything in either Norwegian or English. And other than the usual phrases to cashiers and such, I generally only speak to my therapist for about 45 minutes a week.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 107 of 156
12 February 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
If it was me, I would totally count the sessions with your therapist as maintenance. It's all the more pertinent since this is the only real contact you have with the language at present.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 108 of 156
12 February 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps. I'm not sure it feels right though, and you'll never find anyone with a stronger sense of honesty, fairness and duty than an autist. I used to work an extra 15 minutes if I took 5 minutes for a private phone call at work. You're probably right though. Maybe I should count it. I definitely wouldn't count simple things though.

Actually, I've been thinking of working on both English and Norwegian this year as they both have deteriorated these past few years. I was going to try to work on vocabulary and to read "real" books like classics or well-written modern novels. But I don't think I'll do that until the 6WC is over.

I think I've figured out this BabyThylakoid. He does a lot of listening, so maybe he listens to stuff while doing other things, AJATT style. I can't really do two things at once, so I only count focused study. I don't generally listen to things while doing other things, except walking or using a monotonous type of exercise machine like an arc-trainer or stationary bicycle.

I probably look a little odd walking around looking rather dazed and mumbling to myself. The mumbling helps me focus on the words even when I don't understand enough to follow the story. It's not shadowing. I couldn't possible shadow anything that fast. Somehow though, moving my lips keeps me fixated on the sounds and makes it easier to hear every word and catch the ones I know. (It's even worse when exercising, because then I usually close my eyes too.)

I'm beginning to doubt that I can beat him overall, but I think I might be able to come in first on target language and maybe second or third overall, unless something happens to upset my life again. So far, I've been doing an average of 8.5 hours a day. I don't think I can really do much more than that unless I give up everything. As it is, I don't do much besides study, exercise, buy food a couple times a week, take a shower now and then, make food, eat it, and other fairly essential activities. I've hardly even been on this forum lately.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 109 of 156
14 February 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I’ve realized that it is quite impossible to win the 6WC overall and possibly not even target language, so I must be content with perhaps a top 5. I can’t possibly study 12+ hours a day and still have time to attend to the various necessities of life, and I still refuse to count background noise as study. It’s not healthy for the brain to have constant input anyway.

I also don’t think I will do another 6WC. I don’t think it is healthy for me. I too easily get obsessed. I think I need more balance in my life with room for other languages and for things unrelated to language study. Also, I’m not sure that studying so intensely is really effective. I don’t feel like cramming so much into my head is really helping. I’m not sure it really sticks. I think I might get as much out of studying 4 hours as studying 8 hours.

And I'm getting really tired of Twitter!!!

Edited by Brun Ugle on 14 February 2013 at 8:56pm

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4370 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 110 of 156
15 February 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
The mumbling helps me focus on the words even when I don't understand enough to follow the story. It's not shadowing. I couldn't possible shadow anything that fast. Somehow though, moving my lips keeps me fixated on the sounds and makes it easier to hear every word and catch the ones I know. (It's even worse when exercising, because then I usually close my eyes too.)

I do this too, although I usually just sort of subvocalize what I'm hearing, instead of mumbling. It seems to give my brain more time to interpret the language, improving both my comprehension and my ability to notice new words.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 111 of 156
15 February 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Hang in there. I am rooting for you, given that I am now aiming for a top 40. :-) And it is perfectly fine to
count listening as long as you actually get something out of it. I used to put on the CDs when I was doing
my morning routine, and the only time I did not count was when I was in the shower. I can brush my teeth
or eat and still listen properly, but showering and effective studying is beyond my capabilities. I did not count
music either, because I did not get much out of it, but I see some count that too.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 112 of 156
15 February 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
The mumbling helps me focus on the words even when I don't understand enough to follow the story. It's not shadowing. I couldn't possible shadow anything that fast. Somehow though, moving my lips keeps me fixated on the sounds and makes it easier to hear every word and catch the ones I know. (It's even worse when exercising, because then I usually close my eyes too.)

I do this too, although I usually just sort of subvocalize what I'm hearing, instead of mumbling. It seems to give my brain more time to interpret the language, improving both my comprehension and my ability to notice new words.

Yes it does, doesn't it. I was kind of exaggerating a bit. I don't always mumble really. Sometimes I just move my lips, and other times, I just think it in my head. If I know the story well enough, I can keep up without the mumbling thing and just visualize the story, but I'm not sure that I really pick up many new words. It's so hard to tell.

I was listening to a story on Wednesday using Iversen's bloodhound method and subvocalizing like you said, and suddenly, I realized I could understand everything perfectly. I was so excited. But then a few minutes later, I was back to understanding only a few words here and there. I haven't ever read the story, so I don't know what it's about, just that it's a mystery. I have know idea who's dead or who did it. All I know from that middle portion is that the main suspect has an alibi.

One problem I have is that Japanese has so many homophones. So when I'm only catching a few words here and there I sometimes guess the wrong homophone and then I get the entirely wrong idea of what the story is about. It can be really confusing, but kind of funny.

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version