Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 145 of 156
08 March 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
NAV seems to be made by and for the useless. For those of us who actually need their
assistance (I've got disabillities myself), they are quite an annoyance.

Good luck and hopefully everything will sort itself out in the end. ;)

Edited by stifa on 08 March 2013 at 11:55am

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4645 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 146 of 156
08 March 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
NAV seems to be made by and for the useless. For those of us who actually need their

x2
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4437 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 147 of 156
08 March 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Good luck from me to!

Brun Ugle wrote:
Anyway, the point of this rambling is that I've found my very favorite Norwegian word -- 'refererer'.
I just love those -ere words because I always end up having to carefully check that I have the right number of r's and e's, but this one is extra special because it's almost nothing but r's and e's. If you're wondering what it means, it is the present tense of 'refer'.

This passage made me remember the totally surrealistic children's TV show "Reparatørene" (the Repair men), which was shown on Norwegian TV in the early 70s and probably traumatised a whole generation of Norwegian children - although it also has something of a cult status.

Actually, one of the characters in this puppet show is Gorgon Vaktmester (Gorgon the Janitor). When the two repair men, Pompel and Pilt, ask him if there is something that needs to be repaired (repareres), he responds with long stream of words rhyming with "repareres". Here's a short extract:

"Pilt: Å, Gorgon vaktmester, er det mulig at du har noe i dag som skal repareres?
Gorgon: Hehehe… Repareres, revideres, registreres, reflekteres, reformeres, reviteres, resigneres, respireres, resulteres, revulteres, respekteres, repareres, reglereres, respireres."

Sorry for this totally off-topic post, but unless you know Pompel and Pilt you will never understand today's middle-aged Norwegians:-) Look them up on You Tube, and you will understand... (Edit: To be clear, I mean look up Pompel og Pilt, not the middle-aged Norwegians...)

Edited by Ogrim on 08 March 2013 at 4:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 148 of 156
23 March 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
A combination of pain in my shoulder/back/neck whenever I try to do anything and a bad case of spring fever has kept me away for a while, but I figured I should check in before I go away for Easter.

stifa wrote:

I finished and sent in my appeal/complaint/whatever it was. Now I just have to hope the psychiatrist writes something good (bad) about me and sends it in soon.

The problem with NAV seems to be that there are so many old ladies with no real education working there and they learned the basics of the job 40 years ago, but things are always changing. They didn’t really understand the laws in the first place, and they certainly aren’t able to keep up with the changes. I had shown the letter I got from them to my ex-husband, who also works in NAV, but is one of the clever ones. He said that it was quite clear that they’d just checked off a few boxes in the computer program they use without considering the nuances of the situation or even editing anything. So in the letter I got, they had only considered Apserger syndrome and completely ignored the bipolar disorder and the effects they have on each other. In addition, it says that I don’t have any long-term serious condition, which doesn’t make any sense at all since both conditions are serious, and I would think that something that lasts one’s entire lifetime should count as long-term as well.

Ogrim wrote:

"Pilt: Å, Gorgon vaktmester, er det mulig at du har noe i dag som skal repareres?
Gorgon: Hehehe… Repareres, revideres, registreres, reflekteres, reformeres, reviteres, resigneres, respireres, resulteres, revulteres, respekteres, repareres, reglereres, respireres."

Sorry for this totally off-topic post, but unless you know Pompel and Pilt you will never understand today's middle-aged Norwegians:-) Look them up on You Tube, and you will understand... (Edit: To be clear, I mean look up Pompel og Pilt, not the middle-aged Norwegians...)

They are kind of creepy, aren’t they?

I tried looking up middle-aged Norwegians. It came up with a bunch of medieval music. Middle-aged, Middle Ages, it’s almost the same thing…

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 149 of 156
25 March 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I will be leaving tomorrow to babysit my ex-husband’s cats (and TV) while he is off visiting his girlfriend. I don’t know how the internet connection will be for on-line studying. If the neighbors haven’t secured their wi-fi, then I can steal some from them again. However, I’m not sure there will be much studying in any case what with all the TV-watching I have to catch up on, but I will take a few books and my computer just in case :)

When I come back, I will be starting a new job. It’s not a real job exactly, and I won’t be getting paid. It’s something that the employment agency will have me do in order to see what I’m suited for and what I can do within the limits of my health. Something without too much human contact would be best, but that’s not so easy to manage. Too bad I don’t have a garage; I could start my own company like Steve Jobs and invent the triangle, or maybe a rhombus.

I found a cool dictionary recently: Span¡shD!ct. You can look up words in English or Spanish. You can also find all the conjugations for verbs. It even has a video translation feature which shows someone saying the word first at normal speed, then one syllable at a time. Then she gives a definition/explanation of the word and gives an example in a sentence along with the translation, and finally repeats the word once more.

I also found CliffsNotes for both Spanish I & II and French I & II. It is just a basic outline of the grammar and things that would be covered in those classes in high school. I haven’t looked at it so carefully yet, but it looks like it could be useful. I like having a nice convenient overview or chart over grammar. Sometimes I even make one myself. In fact that might be a good idea anyway as writing things down solidifies them in my memory. Maybe I should try making some sort of chart for Spanish as I go.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4645 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 150 of 156
02 July 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle, where are you?

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4982 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 151 of 156
02 July 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Haha I was reading her last post when I got the link in my email. And I'm like this is clever but familiar. Then I
see your little post beneath hers. I'm also looking for an update. (≧∇≦)

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 152 of 156
02 July 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I thought she returned when I saw that both this thraed and the Sakura thread have been
bumped. :/

Edited by stifa on 02 July 2013 at 10:38am

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version