Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5887 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 134
01 January 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
This is my second TAC year, so by now I'm becoming a grizzled campaigner....
grizzled at any rate!
I started learning Polish seriously from August 2010 after making friends with
numerous Polish immigrants, many of whom I teach English to.

GOALS FOR 2013
1. Reach a solid B1 (last year I said 'B2' - a complete overestimation!)
2. Build my Anki deck to 4000 words (3223 at the moment). This means learning just 800 words in 12 months which is fine, because I want to spend more time on other things, especially listening.
3. Study for 1000 hours (last year I managed 540, but I'm going to go mad and aim high again)

My journey begins....

Edited by Mooby on 14 January 2013 at 11:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5887 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 2 of 134
01 January 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
LINKS + RESOURCES

Link to my 2012 Log - contains lots of links to music, writers and learning materials.

Edited by Mooby on 14 January 2013 at 11:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4953 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 3 of 134
02 January 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Hi, Mooby! I'm looking forward to reading your log again this year! And great picture, as always!

Marya
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
languagewanderer.com
Joined 4196 days ago

62 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 4 of 134
04 January 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Cześć! I'm also looking forward to reading your log, waiting for updates:) powodzenia:)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5887 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 5 of 134
14 January 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3253
Hours studied (since 01/01/13) = 24

The Anki figure represents facts (mostly single words often with example sentences. Plus some common expressions and phrases) from my general Anki deck. It gives an indication of the size of my learned vocabulary. My active vocabulary, i.e words I use from recall in speech or writing, is less. Whereas my passive vocabulary, i.e words I recognise or deduce from reading but have not committed to memory, will be slightly more than the figure quoted.
In other words it's just a guide to help me quantify progress in this area. I know some people think it's pointless to keep a count, and I know that having an impressive vocabulary doesn't mean that one can actually use it well. But still... I like statistics I suppose.

My Focus in 2012
I freely admit that last year I said I would do things, and didn't. I know that my studies were somewhat random and heavily focussed on gaining vocabulary. I really like aquiring new words, and I don't mind learning less common ones because I figure that if I want to get to C1 level (which I do) then I'll need to learn them one day.
But I'm getting fed up with Anki, and frustrated that I can't produce sentences comfortably. I have shied away from grammar studies because I find it mentally taxing - rotten excuse, I know. Actually, once I get into intensive grammar I can just about cope; maybe it's just the thought of doing it that puts me off.
To use the word 'focus' is misleading. I didn't stick to plans or course books, but roamed around all over the place gathering words and listening to music. If I had a 2012 school report it would look very embarrassing, "could do better".

My Focus in 2013
1. Grammar
2. Listening
3. Writing
I'm not going to include 'speaking' yet, although it's what I want to be able to do well. I have a few conversation partners with whom I meet regularly. However too many of these precious occasions are wasted on going over the same basic grammar which I should have learned in my own time already!!

GRAMMAR: At this stage I mean;
1) Noun declensions (still don't know them enough or how to use them well).
2) Syntax (how are words strung together, phraseology and word order. What words can be ommitted and when etc.)
3) Conjugations (despite the imperfective/perfective aspects, I find Polish verbs relatively easy. That assertion will probably bite me on the backside at some point! But compared to the English tenses, Polish looks a lot more logical.)

LISTENING:
I must train my ear to distinguish words and simultaneously comprehend (preferably without the 'first translate into English' step). I can definitely distinguish individual words and recognise many of them. But there is a huge lag in 'live' comprehension which means that my conversations with Poles always collapse prematurely. It's one of the hardest skills to master.

WRITING:
Why write? I don't need to, but I'd like to. Firstly because it helps me to practice the grammar and syntax in a way that I can take the time to see what's going on, and get feedback from others. Secondly, because I get emails and texts from Polish friends and I'm fed up with writing gibberish, even if I check grammar tables the syntax usually looks wierd! Thirdly, I'd like to participate in Polish forums without torturing the poor readers.

Creating my own Course
Now I'm clearer about my goals (see post 1) and what to focus on, how do I get there?
One problem is tracking down the relevant information and/or exercises in the plethora of materials available.
Shortage of material is not a problem. Sorting it out and finding what I want in the midst of it all, is.
A lot of course books means:
      - Things get repeated. This can be a good thing in order to confirm what I already know, but it can also get confusing.
      - Cousre books introduce so many new concepts that have to be absorbed. Some of them introduce everything in a high intensity stream, all mixed up, so that I've barely got my head round one thing when 'boom, down I go' and here comes another thing.

I don't mind a general introduction to a lot of things, but for deeper understanding I need to cover one area at a time. Then go over these same areas at a deeper level, and so on in a series of cycles (or as Splog would say 'The Spiral Method')

THE PLAN
1. DECLENSIONS.
Memorise the main declensions using written examples in Anki
Write example texts on Lang-8
Drills and tests using Dana Bielec 'Basic Polish' and later, using Józef Pyzik 'Przgoda z gramatyką'.
Go through online excercises.

2. SYNTAX.
Read lots, and make notes of common syntactical patterns. Collect examples and learn to recognise.
Use Stanisław Kaczmarski 'Verb Forms in Bilingual Exercises' which contains hundreds of examples.
Again, write on Lang-8, using syntax already learned.

3. WRITING.
Something everday on Lang-8, busuu or HTLAL.
Email friends and elict response.

4. LISTENING.
Repetitive and intensive listening: Recordings I have collected on You Tube. Plus audiobooks.
'Live' and extensive listening: TV, Radio and conversations with friends.

As well as dipping into books to find the information I'm looking for, I'd like to go through one from cover to cover. Therefore I'll finish 'Colloquial Polish'first and see what one to complete next.
Now,I've just got to do it!
But first..... I'm gagging for a cup of tea and a biscuit (it's 4pm in the afternoon, and everything stops for teatime here!)

Edited by Mooby on 16 January 2013 at 7:16am

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5510 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 6 of 134
14 January 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
If you'd like some Polish radio podcasts I recommend you look for Tok fm in itunes. It's a talking radio and they seem to update their stuff regularly. If you type in 'Polskie radio' you will also get some results, but unfortunately they're not updating their podcasts. There's a show 'Co w mowie piszczy" about the quirks of the Polish language. I think only 5 episodes are on itunes, but that's always a start. Maybe you'll be able to understand some of it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4151 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 7 of 134
15 January 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I thought verbs would scare me because coming from German, where verb conjugations are ridiculously easy, the thought of having four different groups was quite intimidating at first. I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it to be the least of the worries for now--but once I get to verbal aspects I might change my mind! Listening I find pretty challenging as well, so I've mostly been listening to repeated clips, but I'll be interested in seeing what you use for this.

MerryCrassmas
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4845 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 8 of 134
16 January 2013 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
When I first learned about the way the past tense is formed in Polish, I was freaking stoked and at awe and perhaps
slightly intimated. This is of course coming from Russian, where there are only 4 forms of the past tense, very easy!
I can't recall in my immediate memory, but if I remember correctly Polish has more than 10.

By the way. Good luck Mooby. I will be reading your log and see what cool stuff I may learn and support you on your
journey :)

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version